• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Battle of the Sporting Heroes

Ausage

Cricketer Of The Year
He won an Olympic gold medal, good enough for me tbh.
Wouldn't worry me either, and I reckon the Bradbury story is an inspiring one. Merely making the point that the story surrounding him is what makes him interesting, rather than his sporting prowess. You could say the same for Eric the Eel.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
He'd actually had two horrific injuries i believe. One where he had his leg sliced by another skater and another where he'd broken his neck. On top of which, he was put out of a previous winter Olympics by being pushed over illegally.
I was not aware of that. That makes it genuinely cool as well as hilariously brilliant.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
One could make a case for Steven Bradbury to be considered a "gimmicky" athlete though. Lets face it, he's only remarkable because he wasn't even remotely close to the best in his field when he won.
Hm, well. He wasn't the fastest but he was the only one who could stay on his ****ing skates.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Partly due to the fact that he wasn't fast enough to keep pace with the field in the first place.

Gimmicky sport, for mine...
I disagree, I think he knew his premium skating speed and stuck to it beautifully. Well aware the other guys were pushing the limits and would fall due to it being as slippery as hell out there :ph34r:

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Without wrestlers, cricketers and other gimicks. These are the current lists

Let me know if there are any mistakes

Seconded

Diego Maradona
Pretty obvious one there, tbh.

Nominated - Need to be Seconded
Phil Taylor
David Campese
Will second these two. Feel dirty giving Campo the nod, but it's a vote for his sport almost as much as him. Was a genuine one off and magnificent player too.

Nominate

Garrincha (Known as "Joy of the People" in Brazil where majority of population consider him to be better than Pele)
Shagged a goat too, by all accounts. Not many others in the list can you say that about. Except Andrew Johns, obv. :ph34r: