• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Chelsea or Manyoo- who do you hate more?

Who do you hate more- Chelsea or United?

• Total voters

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
I've always hated them, and there were still many more glory-hunting fans in my school that went for United over the scousers, total myth that.
I guess it depends on where you grew up. I imagine Burgey and I had much the same experience - growing up in Australia in the 80s (70s for him, I think :p) it was all Liverpool. To this day most of my mates back home are Liverpool fans, as are most of the Australian guys of my generation who follow English football. As much as I'm always told with a huge sigh and roll of the eyes that everybody supports United, I don't actually know any of them. Truth is I'd love a few United supporting mates I could watch football with!

They always had the Cup runs, how many Cup finals would they have played in during those barren days. In fact older fans whining about their lack of success back then is one of my massive bug-bears with them. Try supporting Exeter City through those years you gits8-)
It's not really whining though is it? It is constantly pointed out to United fans that all these bandwagon-jumpers got onto the ManYoo train in 1993 and have been there ever since, barring a couple of years where they apparently all went off and supported Chelsea. Older fans merely note in response that United was also the country's best-supported club throughout the 70s and 80s while the scousers were cleaning up year after year and United's success was much less than over the past 20 years. Those of us that were around for even some part of that period remember very fondly the cup runs - the 26 "barren" years without a League title seemed to be brought up as a stick to beat us with as much by other clubs as by United themselves.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
It confuses me how some of those pathetically obsessed with a football club manage to feel contempt for casual fans who have lives. I say this as someone firmly in the former camp. What's the deal with all the hate of people who support a team in their spare time as opposed to as a lifestyle choice?

BoyBrumby

Englishman
It confuses me how some of those pathetically obsessed with a football club manage to feel contempt for casual fans who have lives. I say this as someone firmly in the former camp. What's the deal with all the hate of people who support a team in their spare time as opposed to as a lifestyle choice?
I suspect it's partly the glory hunting aspect of it that irks folk. I doubt you get too many casual (say) Exeter fans, but with the big clubs it's all too easy to buy the replica kit, sign up to Sky and eat the prawn sandwich.

It clearly takes more dedication to stand on a rain-sodden terrace in January too.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Owned by a Russian-mafia oil-thiefNegative football
Dider Drogba
Jose Mourinho and the everyone-against-us mentality
Referee-harassment as a tactic
Frank Lampard's ridiculous run of deflected goals
All of their fans came out of hiding as soon as they were any good
Used to be one of the division's most likeable teams before Ranieri was purged in order to comply with the club's thorough evilness policy
Peter Kenyon (although that once applied to United too, in fairness)

Much more short-term than the causes of hatred that have evidently been festering in you for the past twenty years, but they're still pretty easy to despise.
:laugh:. Extremely harsh...

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I suspect it's partly the glory hunting aspect of it that irks folk. I doubt you get too many casual (say) Exeter fans, but with the big clubs it's all too easy to buy the replica kit, sign up to Sky and eat the prawn sandwich.

It clearly takes more dedication to stand on a rain-sodden terrace in January too.
Best thing about the lower leagues IIRC

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
When we scored at Peterboring earlier this season i ran round the terrace celebrating. Mind you, I did fall over.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Nope, we were in what is now termed the Championship (and had realistic Premiership ambitions lest ye forget) in 1994, every team in the top two divisions at this point had to switch to all-seater IIRC. And I think if you go up to the Championship you have to committ to going all-seater within a certain timescale.

The result of this is that we don't get a whole lot of terraces in League One, so it's special when you do. If Reading stay down this season then I dare say you should take yourself a trip to peterboeough next season and stand on the terraces! I imagine they'll be rid of them soon, though. It's mainly teams that come up from League 2 who've never really been up in the higher leagues that still have them.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
If Reading stay down this season then I dare say you should take yourself a trip to peterboeough next season and stand on the terraces! I imagine they'll be rid of them soon, though.
One attraction of staying down - that and missing out on the opportunity of breaking Derby's record

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
:laugh:

And of course there is still the possibility of you playing the whites next season

Uppercut

Such people just piss me off. Dedication? **** that. People go to see their teams on cold January evenings because they enjoy doing it. I may enjoy having *** a lot but i don't consider myself smugly superior for doing it in a dirty alley while other people with less "dedication" stick to ****ing in a bed.

Football's something you watch for fun. What's wrong with someone who doesn't enjoy it as much watching it less? The hatred is bizarre...

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I think you'll find the biggest bug-bear people have with "glory-hunting" fans is that they're just as likely to dump one club as soon as they have 1 poor season, for another, and then claim they've been supporting them for years.

Uppercut

That would be horrendously annoying but i have not actually ever met a single person who does that. I'm not saying those people don't exist, but out of what must be over a thousand people who i've talked to football about I've never met someone who changes who they support depending on who is winning.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Too many people support Man U, Liverpool or Arsenal in Australia and Singapore (places I've lived). Chelsea is a recent phenomenon too.

Go support Leicestershire or Wigan or Fulham or Hull or *enter random club not one of the big 4*

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Yep
Such people just piss me off. Dedication? **** that. People go to see their teams on cold January evenings because they enjoy doing it. I may enjoy having *** a lot but i don't consider myself smugly superior for doing it in a dirty alley while other people with less "dedication" stick to ****ing in a bed.

Football's something you watch for fun. What's wrong with someone who doesn't enjoy it as much watching it less? The hatred is bizarre...
But why does this fan always have to be a supporter of the big 4?