• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australia to be first to Qualify for the World Cup?

Trumpers_Ghost

U19 Cricketer
With a home win over Uzibekistan on Wednesday and a draw in the heavy weight Bahrain v Qatar derby, Australia would be the first country to qualify for the football World Cup in SA.

Just another sport for us to achieve World Dominatation

:starwars:

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
World domination hardly. Pretty much no hope of even repeating our efforts of 06. Hopefully we do qualify this week thugh.

Trumpers_Ghost

U19 Cricketer
How is that domination in League and Union right now?
League was a lucky off night to the only serious contender.

Union, well who gives a ****, stupid sport anyways.

World domination was very tongue in cheek (was thinking of Pinky from the cartoons and laughing evily at myself as I wrote it).

Mind you we may do allright, we'll have a better prepared team this time, Aussie spirit can see us home in tight games (well I hope so) you never know.

Probably what will let us down is that we don't cheat and fall over and roll around like a lot of the other teams do. (:ranting:****en Italy and their cheating theatrics:ranting:)

Just hope we get to play England. I'd smile for a year if we knocked their smug asses outa there.

cheers

BoyBrumby

Englishman
World domination hardly. Pretty much no hope of even repeating our efforts of 06. Hopefully we do qualify this week thugh.
Depends entirely on the draw, surely?

Given we don't know who'll be in it much less who your boys will be playing I think you're a tad previous writing them off.

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
Probably what will let us down is that we don't cheat and fall over and roll around like a lot of the other teams do. (:ranting:****en Italy and their cheating theatrics:ranting:)
No, what will let us down is defensive rubbish football without any potent threat up front who can play by himself (McDonald needs a partner and Kennedy isn't playing/is rubbish). If Dukes does get fit (big if) and comes out of retirement (big if) Macca and he could provide goals but otherwise, relying on Cahill (who's rarely fit) and Kewell (who's rarely fit) for goals isn't going to work against sides better than Qatar and Uzbekistan.

Simon

Given we don't know who'll be in it much less who your boys will be playing I think you're a tad previous writing them off.
Naa theres no way we can be good enough to make the final 16 and match it with the World Champions.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Naa theres no way we can be good enough to make the final 16 and match it with the World Champions.
& those very world champions & the European champions from 2004 showed us that dog turd, route one anti-football can win tournaments...

Anyway, why am I defending Australia? Yeah, you're crap. Three defeats for sure...

Trumpers_Ghost

U19 Cricketer

And not forgetting that we have actually failed to qualify from positions nearly as good (96 2-0 v Iran with 10 mins to go, thankyou Mr Venebles).

But yeah presuming the sky dosn't collapse, the draw will be the important thing.
Last time (Brazil, Aus, Croatia, Jap) was tough but reasonable (one superpower with 3 fairly even matched teams). I'm hoping for an easier "power team" this time, maybe Eng, Neth or Spain (who all have chicken bone issues) with perhaps Mexico/USA and Ghana/Egypt. Wouldn't be any easier really but not playing Brazil would be a huge bonus.

:)

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Actually having Brazil was pretty good, cause nothing worse then one of the other teams winning/drawing against the best team.

If we qualify and we have England in our group it would just be awesome, is there a chance that we'll be in the third level pool or will we be considered 4th level? I might have it wrong, don't remember how it worked last time.

speirz

State Vice-Captain
Actually having Brazil was pretty good, cause nothing worse then one of the other teams winning/drawing against the best team.

If we qualify and we have England in our group it would just be awesome, is there a chance that we'll be in the third level pool or will we be considered 4th level? I might have it wrong, don't remember how it worked last time.
There's only one level as such, the top 7 seeded teams plus the host nation. The other 3 pots were spread geographically.

Craig

World Traveller
I'm waiting for our media to get on the bandwagon again. As if they gave a **** about football beforehand :dry:

Burgey

Oh God. Imagine if we played England. Lucky the posters on this forum would no doubt be dispassionate about it all.

Anyway, no we're jinxed as we're counting our chickens big time here.

Agree with Smitteh - we need potency up front or we won't be able to kick on vs good sides. We'll be competitive against them, but I can't see them feeling too threatened by us unless McDonald comes good. gets a decent partner or there's a complete reversal of form by Kennedy.

Archie Thompson must not get a game. At all costs. Even if it means fielding 10 players.