• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australia to be first to Qualify for the World Cup?

Trumpers_Ghost

U19 Cricketer
Thought I'd dig this up with only a few days to go to our second chance to qualify. Last time we did what we had to, but Bahrain and Qatar refused to draw.
So with three games to go, I believe that only the 1 point is required. A win or draw in Qatar will be enough, then 2 games back home to celebrate.
However there are likely to be other teams to qualify this weekend, so we may have lost our chance at being first (not that it matters at all).

Go roos

Josh

International Regular
Only time I ever care about soccer :) but it is exciting just the way we've come from nothing to top 50 in the world; especially in a country dominated by other sports like AFL, rugby, tennis and cricket.

Hope we do well again; but wouldn't be at all surprised if we don't.

Trumpers_Ghost

U19 Cricketer
Only time I ever care about soccer :) but it is exciting just the way we've come from nothing to top 50 in the world; especially in a country dominated by other sports like AFL, rugby, tennis and cricket.

Hope we do well again; but wouldn't be at all surprised if we don't.
we've actually been in or around the top 50 for a long time, it's more just the level of attention has risen.

A move to Asia leading to more "ranking point games" has helped our ranking grow, however international football rankings are almost worthless as they place far too much account on which conference you play in. For example at the moment Northen Ireland and Scotland are both ahead of Australia in the rankings, not because they have better teams, but because they play in Europe.

Josh

International Regular
Well, I was gonna say 20, coz I know we were there at one stage. Shows how little I know/care about the sport.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
we've actually been in or around the top 50 for a long time, it's more just the level of attention has risen.

A move to Asia leading to more "ranking point games" has helped our ranking grow, however international football rankings are almost worthless as they place far too much account on which conference you play in. For example at the moment Northen Ireland and Scotland are both ahead of Australia in the rankings, not because they have better teams, but because they play in Europe.
TBF N Ireland have beaten Poland, Denmark, Sweden & Spain in qualification tournaments for Euro 2008 & the 2010 WC, so they're v much where they are on merit.

Yer Sweaties beat France twice during the Euro 2008 qualifiers as well, which must've helped their ranking.

Trumpers_Ghost

U19 Cricketer
Hope this game can be won with a cracking goal from a Harry Kewell or maybe for Mcdonald to breal his duck. Would be very anti climatic, for news reports anyway, if the result was achieved with a dour nil-all draw. :ph34r:

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Enjoying this. Kennedy up forward from the start = awesome.

Cahill! WHAT AN EFFORT!

ripper868

International Coach
Neill will miss the Bahrain game after picking up what he admitted was a "tactical" yellow card with a tackle on Quintana late in the game.

"I left it at late as a could," he said.

"It was probably a borderline orange but I want to play the Japan game and the only way to do that was to make sure I miss the Bahrain game
Why would you purposely go out to pick up a yellow card? He did this just in case he got one the the bahrain game and missed japan? :huh:

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Why would you purposely go out to pick up a yellow card? He did this just in case he got one the the bahrain game and missed japan? :huh:
Yeah basically.

Would have been great if Cahill's goal had gone in last night. Would have been a good way to qualify.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
I thought that was strange as well. You could have rested the players on yellow against Bahrain now we are through. Happens all the time though in football. I can think of plenty times in Champions League were players have got their 2nd yellow in the 2nd last match of the group stage, so they don't miss out the knockout matches.

Redbacks

International Captain
Lucre Niell must think he is David Beckham? A tactical card for two meaningless fixtures coming up :wacko: Rest against Buck-Rain if you think the dead rubber against Japan is so important