• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Golf and Cricket

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Gary Sobers wrote in his autobiography that had he been introduced to the game earlier, he would have chosen golf over cricket as you have only yourself to blame in golf. In cricket, the blame can be of a fielder who dropped a catch.

Many cricketers start playing golf after retiring.

What are your views on golf as a game and how does it compare to cricket in your view?

Will be interested to here the responses

BoyBrumby

Englishman
No expert on golf, but I do know BC Lara is a decent player.

Plays golf right-handed tho, so the different demands of the sport don't affect his batting technique.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Lord Ted was a very good golfer, I think.

It's interesting because a lot of golfs technique is about getting the ball airbound as quickly as possible, whilst most batsmen try to get the ball to go down, certainly defensively. So I don't think they're that wonderfully symbiotic, despite the advantages for people with great hand-to-eye co-ordination.

Someone like Botham, and probably Ted and Sobers though all hit the ball in the air a lot, so maybe that's why they're decent players. Botham hits it miles apparently, but not always in the right direction, which reminds you of his batting to be honest.

Lara though doesn't really fit into that, but one would presume him doing it mirror-image means that it's just a totally different discipline for him.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Ponting's an exceptional golfer, AB de Villiers too IIRC.

Love golf tbh. Have to say I don't see how playing it would really effect your technique at cricket, unless you used a bat shaped like a 1 wood.

Julian87

State Captain
I do like golf, but could never take it seriously enough, same with most non-team sports.

Also costs too much for a poor **** like me.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Ponting's an exceptional golfer, AB de Villiers too IIRC.

Love golf tbh. Have to say I don't see how playing it would really effect your technique at cricket, unless you used a bat shaped like a 1 wood.
Brian Charles must've been doing something right tho, tbf.

Never really played golf (tried it, was harder than it looked, gave up; see also tennis) but the only thing I could imagine it affecting is muscle memory?

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Boycott wrote at fair length about golf and cricket.

The top cross over guy was probably Brian Close. A single handicap both right and left handed.

I play golf (badly) and I am cursed by 'cricketers slice'.

Golf does not affect your cricket but cricket affects your golf.

Last edited:

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
What did Boycott write on golf and cricket, if you can provide a few glimses from what he has written?

ripper868

International Coach
One and the same really with one big difference - golf you hit the ball away then chase it, cricket you hit it away and the other poor beggars chase it for you.

Golf is awesome though, love having a lazy sunday on the course with mates and beers in tow. play off 17 ftr.