• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Rugby Union All-Time Draft

ripper868

International Coach
I once again am goneskies for the weekend gents....just skip me if it comes my way and I'll make up for it on monday morny.

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
If you want, you could message someone with a couple of players that they could select for you so that you don't miss out over the weekend - I'm sure we're honest enough not to immediately steal such a shortlist of players. :p

Francis

State Vice-Captain
With so many five-eighths being selected, I'll have to pick one now I think. There's only two more five-eighths who I consider in the upper-tier, so I'll pick one now. I select Cliff Morgan, arguably Wales' greatest ever flyhalf and possibly the best flyhalf ever. Personally in terms of great flyhalfs, I rate Porta the best in terms of individual brilliance, Ella the best in terms of constructive brilliance and Morgan the best in terms of having the best legacy.

Morgan played in a different era where you really had to be about your wits. Morgan used heavy leather balls, received no lengthy spin passes, lineouts spread across the field, wing-forwards 10 yards away. To succeed then required speed off the mark, good feet, imagination and flair.

Morgan:
* Captained Wales
* Beat the All Blacks with Wales (the last time Wales have beat New Zealand) and CARDIFF!
* Beat the Boks as a Lion (scoring the famous winning try in front of 100,000 at Ellis Park). Honestly, that Lions side scored 26 tries in four Tests. That's unbelievable in any area. If a try was worth mroe than three points in those days, the Lions would have won 4-0, which would have sent shockwaves through the rugby world.
* Won a Grand Slam in ‘52.
* Was a legendary Barbarian.
* Kept Carwyn James out of the Welsh side.

Francis

State Vice-Captain
There are a few better five-eighth choices than Botha that haven't been selected yet if you ask me.

I have the 1986 Cavaliers tour on tape and Botha was pretty good in those matches. But he is unquestionably the most allergic player I have ever seen when it comes to tackling. The man wanted nothing to do with tackling. In all the games I saw I never saw him make one tackle. His best effort came in the 1st "Test" where Grant Fox ran at him and he pulled Fox's jersey, slowing him down enough to get tackled by a loosie (forget who) coming across in cover.

It wasn't so much a problem back in 1986 because teams didn't focus on hitting the 10-12 channel as much as they do now. These days five-eighths are required to do far more tackling. Also, Grant Fox stood incredibly deep in those days and really didn't attack the advantage line. I can't help but wonder how Botha would have fared against Mark Ella, who would always always attempt to draw the openside flanker and five-eighth into tackling him. I've seen a game Ella played against Ireland in 1984 and if you didn't try to tackle him, he'd take the ball as far as the advantage line, if not beyond. In that 1984 game Ella scored a wonderful try (handling twice) where the Irish five-eighth didn't try to tackle him. In my mind, Ella would have gotten the better of Botha.

As a kicker Botha was pretty impressive. In particular I admired his coolness when deep in his own 22. Every time he was under tremendous pressure his clearing kicks were phenominal. He possessed a beautiful balance that allowed him to kick off either foot with no problems. This balance also allowed him to drop-goals on the run, although for my taste he went for too many drop goals because he didn't succeed as much as I'd expected (considering his reputation as the drop-goal king).

But if I had to criticise him for something else, it's that his 1st, 2nd and 3rd instinct was to kick the ball, even when he was in the Caveliers 22. Occasionally he would spread the ball out wide and he was pretty good at it. But there was one moment I noticed where Botha kicked the ball ahead when he had an overlap outside of him! That was just Botha it seems, he kicked the ball too much.

For mine, he's not one of the 10 best flyhalfs ever, though he'd be close. He never made tackles, and I literally mean NEVER. And despite being a fantastic kicker, he kicked the ball too much.

Last edited:

Jamee999

Hall of Fame Member
Jason Leonard

You don't play that many tests without being bloody good.

Team so far:

1 - Jason Leonard
4 - Bill Beaumont
7 - George Smith

11 - Jonah Lomu

ohtani's jacket

State Vice-Captain
I agree with Francis' comments about Botha, but he was the kind of first five who controlled the game from the pocket (and needed protecting like a quarterback does from the sack). Defensively, other guys had to pick up the slack and cover for his abhorrence towards tackling, but he was masterful at controlling the shape of a game and probably could've played more expansively if the Boks hadn't been pack orientated. In Botha's era, he played what amounted to winning rugby and the Boks would have slaughtered the Wallabies.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
I'm opting for the rarest of rare things - Aaron "Okey" Geffin, the Springbok goalkicking tighthead prop (#3) who helped embarrass the 1949 All Blacks on their tour of South Africa.. He'll be slotting the goals for my side.

99*

International Debutant
Andy Irvine #15 from Scotland.

Team so far:

5- C. Meads
8- W. Shelford

10- H. Porta
15- A. Irvine