• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Rugby Union All-Time Draft

Jamee999

Hall of Fame Member
I really like my....back 10 :p

Shockingly for me my front 5 is pretty weak, but we have a really nice back row and backs.

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Liking Somers's backs, I have to say. Think Volts's centres might be the strongest. Pack, I'd take Francis's or, well modesty should forbid but **** it, mine. Really loving my loosies. :cool:

Worried my back three might be a little lightweight, which, given the attacking flair I have there is very English of me. :ph34r:

Hate to be a back-seat selector, but now it's over I can tell you I immediately thought of Daniel Lambert, the hammer of the French. Scored 5 tries against them on debut and, in this match registered 2 tries, 5 conversions and 2 penalties for an individual haul of 22 points, an English record which stood until (IIRC) 1991. As place-kicking wings go he could be the man.

In a tragic irony he lost his life in France on the first day of the Battle of Loos. He doesn't even seem to have a Wiki page either, which is a shocking omission given the no-marks who do!
ITBT, I really had nfi, and started off by using the statsguru on scrum.com by searching for wingers who'd kicked goals. I probably didn't notice Lambert simply because he played back in the early 1900's and I was trying to stick to players who I might have seen :p

Chris Paterson was the obvious choice I guess, if I wanted someone who was solely a place kicker that I had seen play. But from what I remember of him in the couple of games I've seen him play against the Wallabies, he wasn't actually that good of a winger/player?

ripper868

International Coach
Was a little suprised that after Brumby Picked up Horan that he then didn't pick up his long time lover Jason Little, the combination they forged in the centres was worth near a whole backline on it's own. IF you hadn't of got Horan before me (was taking him that same round) i then would have followed with Little, who is quite underrated for mine.

My team is nowhere near the best, but i can say that I had at least heard of all my players before I selected them. Farr-Jones and Sella the standouts with genuine flyers out wide in Tune and Underwood. Botha will need help in Defense but thats where Messr's Ofahengaue and Lima comes into play, leaving Botha free to lead the Attack/Tactical Kicks/Goal Kicking.

Keith Wood undoubtedly the captain of my pack. O'Kelly and Brooke provide superb lineout options with Willie O at the back for the long one. Winterbottom and Gallaher would have been fierce pairing around the field, providing plenty of muscle in defence and solid options with the pill in hand.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Chris Paterson was the obvious choice I guess, if I wanted someone who was solely a place kicker that I had seen play. But from what I remember of him in the couple of games I've seen him play against the Wallabies, he wasn't actually that good of a winger/player?
Yeah, place kicking aside, Paterson's no more than decent. Doesn't really have the gas for the back three (not the greatest tackler either) & doesn't have the game management for 10 where yer sweaties have played him on occasion too.

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yeah, I figured that Guscott/Contempomi/Greenwood sounded a little more lethal than Paterson/Guscott/Greenwood, even if 2 of them are slightly out of position. Besides, as I said origianlly, how could you not pick the guy with a name like that! :p

Francis

State Vice-Captain
Liking Somers's backs, I have to say.
I don't like Mortlock playing at #12. He's a great player and he was a great choice, but he looks out of place when he plays at #12. Finding a proper second-five has been a problem for the Wallabies since Berrick Barnes injured himself last year. Mortlock's better at #13 where he has more room to move IMO.

ohtani's jacket

State Vice-Captain
I mostly chose players from the 50s and 60s, so the reality is that they'd be undersized today. Almost all of the legendary locks would be flankers in the modern game. But it's a hard nosed pack, who like to scrum, scrum, scrum... A couple of top line-out exponents. I think we'd be tough to stop from in tight. I wanted hardmen, particularly in the loose, so I was happy with my pack. That's a beastily front row.

As for the backs, I gave them a license to run. Probably could've done with a kicking fullback or a halfback with a better pass, but a lot of these guys never had the chance to run on their national sides and shone either with the Lions or their club side. So I just want them to run and pass.

I reckon they'd have a field day behind that pack.

As for who won this, I dunno how you judge that. The team with the most modern players would probably win. A couple of us chose legendary players. Voltman's picks were always entertaining.

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Should we all put a case together for our own teams?
Yup I think given we've all put in the effort to select our XV, we should each write a short summary about our sides - the strengths of your team and the thinking behind selecting your side.

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
I don't like Mortlock playing at #12. He's a great player and he was a great choice, but he looks out of place when he plays at #12. Finding a proper second-five has been a problem for the Wallabies since Berrick Barnes injured himself last year. Mortlock's better at #13 where he has more room to move IMO.
I put Mortlock at #12 because I'm not convinced about some of the defensive attributes of some of the fly halfs selected in some teams, and running at them he'd have just as much chance of breaking tackles as he would in the centres IMO. From most accounts I've read that Boniface preferred to play at centre too so having Mortlock at #12 meant everyone else could slot into their ideal positions.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Pretty happy with my side, only problem is that we have too many Kiwis. Though all the Kiwis are top line players. Would have liked a few more Australian players, but a lot of guys I wanted went in the middle rounds.

Reckon we have a pretty decent pack. Probably not enough big names to really stand out from the rest, but all pretty soild throughout and guys they might play well together.

Backs are pretty similar a lot of decent players, but not many that really stand out. Looking back I probably shouldn't have pick Bennett and Clarke at 10 and 15. Both were brillant in different ways. Bennett probably wasn't consistent enough to be top line. Though I would still have him in the top 6. Clarke probably doesn't offer enough in attack and along with Roff, both are probably know more for their defence then attack. Picking both also meant we had one too many goal kickers.

Though I didn't see many fly half and fullbacks picked after then that really made me thing **** why didn't I go for that guy. Maybe Morgan, but many rate Bennett on par if not better due to his Loins performances. Big Text to reply.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Voltman
Serafin Dengra (#1)
Uli Schmidt (#2)
Aaron "Okey" Geffin (#3)
Steve Cutler (#4)
Bill Campbell (#5)
Charlie "Bronco" Seeling (#6)
Michael Jones (#7)
Greg Cornelson (#8)
Dawie De Villiers (#9)
John Rutherford (#10)
Rupeni Caucaunibuca (#11)
Mike Gibson (#12)
Danie Gerber (#13)
Prince Alexander Obolensky (#14)
Ken Scotland (#15)
Strengths:
Locking duo - as I mentioned in my earlier post, these guys were the bane of every other international lineout's existence in the 1980s. They were genuine tall timber in a time when lifting wasn't allowed in the lineout and formed a good combination with Tommy Lawton in the mid-to-late 1980s.
Loose trio - well, the Iceman is there, so that's almost a given. Seeling was a brutish yet skilful players who was dominant in the 1905 Originals while - as mentioned - Cornelson had a nice for the line.
Centres - combination of the evergreen yet brilliant Mike Gibson (a very creative player) mixed with the searing lines, pace and power of Danie Gerber would be hard to stop.

Weaknesses:
Not overly thrilled with my props, although I was happy to pick up Geffin and - as said - he'll be doing the kicking for me, which gives me the freedom of chosing the wonderful clever and underrated John Rutherford (whose career was cut short by injury) at 10.
Wasn't left with too many options once I got to my fullback, and while Ken Scotland was a dynamic runner from the back, he doesn't quite have the same recognition as other players more recent than the 1959 Lions.

99*

International Debutant
Tom Smith (#1)
Phil Kearns (#2)
Richard Loe (#3)
Gareth Llewellyn (#4)
Colin Meads (#5)
Sir William Wavell Wakefield (#6)
Jean Prat (#7)
Wayne (Buck) Shelford (#8) (c)

Matt Dawson (#9)
Hugo Porta (#10)
Shane Williams (#11)
Scott Gibbs (#12)
Frank Bunce (#13)
Doug Howlett (#14)
Andy Irvine (#15)

Quite happy with this side. Only needed to look up two players (Wakefield and Williams) but the rest I had a good idea about. For my overall side's balance I went for a more forward dominated attack, with the option of spreading the ball out to the playmakers if we get shut down.

The forwards are all tough, hard players, suited to smashmouth rugby. While also being very versitle, Wakefield and Prat are two that were near modern in their playing style. Meads is one of the best to ever play. Smith is one of the top props of all time imo while Loe was no slouch either. Shelford's record as captain speaks for itself.

The backs are split for mine, Porta, Howlett, Irvine and Williams are all playmakers, with the first three all being top class. Porta and Howlett are the two best players in their positions imo, while Irvine is in the top 10 fullbacks easy. Bunce and Gibbs on the other hand repersent the tough, power that shows in the forwards. Both amazing tacklers, Bunce is a great anchor for the backline and is a good running centre in his own right. Gibbs on the other hand is the hardest tackler in the game (watch highlights of the 1997 Lions tour).

On reflection, I could have had some better picks. I'm disappointed with not having a Irish or South African player in the lineup but I'll live with it.

Francis

State Vice-Captain
Since nobody really wanted to put their foot forward and argue for their side (possible because Indipper won this in no time), here's another side composed of players not yet selected by anybody.

1. Gerard Cholley (France)
2. Bryn Meredith (Wales)
3. Jean-Pierre Garuet (France)
4. Alistair McHarg (Scotland)
5. Paul Ackford (England)
6. Andre Venter (South Africa)
7. Col Windon (Australia)
8. Mike Teague (England)
9. Des Connor (Australia/New Zealand)
10. Tom Lawton Sr (Australia)
11. Jannie Engelbrecht (South Africa)
12. Didier Codornieu (France)