• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Super 14 2009 Discussion and Fantasy League

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Home sides should dominate this week IMO. I'm still sticking with the Crusaders to beat the Brumbies in a close match in Canberra even though they're without MacDonald, McCaw and Thorn, on top of the losses of Carter, Hamilton, Tuali'i, etc.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Home sides should dominate this week IMO. I'm still sticking with the Crusaders to beat the Brumbies in a close match in Canberra even though they're without MacDonald, McCaw and Thorn, on top of the losses of Carter, Hamilton, Tuali'i, etc.
I was going to punt on the Cheetahs. Thought they looked good last week and the Force were finished after 40 minutes but I'm playing it safe.

99*

International Debutant
Hurricanes vs Highlanders
Waratahs vs Chiefs
Force vs Cheetahs
Stormers vs Reds
Brumbies vs Crusaders
Bulls vs Blues
Sharks vs Lions

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Appalling first half between the Hurricanes and Highlanders, no continuity, aimless kicking, average handling and neither side having the confidence to attack. Sure conditions are playing a part but I'd expect a bit better from both sides, Hurricanes especially. The yellow card of Thomson was a bit poor IMO, given the Waratahs infringed twice as much last week and didn't receive a single card.

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Much more entertaining second half though another heartbreaking loss for the Highlanders. TBH I think the Hurricanes deserved the victory - they were the better side in the second half in most departments and I don't believe Bowden's try should've been awarded by the video referee.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I was at the Hurricanes vs. Highlanders game last night. It was absolutely atrocious. It was a great advertisement for why I'd much rather watch the NPC. The Hurricanes were pathetic - especially in the first half when they decided to up 'n' under everytime they got the ball; refusing to run at the Highlanders line at all. The 'highlight' being a number of kicks either out the back, or in to touch on the full.

I'm just glad I didn't pay to see the game.

cometer

State Regular
Fair call, although the Brumbies have won the last 3 in Canberra against a much stronger Crusaders side. I suppose there's 3 ways we could potentially lose but if they're avoided we should pick up the points.

1) Thinking we've won the game instead of making sure we do
2) Weather decides to turn and pelt down rain
3) The non-neutral referee is one sided all night. (So far no matches have gone against the side who has the same nationality as the non-neutral referee).

Still expect a close one, there's still a lot of quality left in that Crusaders side, just not quite as strong as past seasons.

cometer

State Regular
Well despite the questionable referee decisions and us gifting them tries I'm quite happy that we got up and won at the death yet again. The first Crusader try was a clear knock on from the Crusaders even before Smith coughed up an intercept. Granted, it probably was a knock on from us first but that should have been called back for a scrum and save 5 points.

Thought again the Crusaders got the best of the referee decisions, including the high shot when Moore got taken out in about the 10th minute of the game, the clear number of times the Crusaders were 2-3metres offside and the blatant offside later in the 2nd half as they were never back the 10 from the fk.

With all the gripes out the way, the Crusaders defended exceptionally well as they are well known for doing and capitalized off soft mistakes and can probably consider themselves unlucky not to hold on for a win setup from their defensive efforts.

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Bah, was 15 seconds away from picking an upset, all things considered. Thought the Crusaders defended tremendously and with such a weakened squad, that would've been a massive result if they'd been able to take the victory tonight. Didn't see the knock-on you mentioned leading up to the Laulala try, also don't necessarily agree that the Crusaders got the best of the decisions from Bryce Lawrence. The offside line throughout the whole opening round and a half has been monitored very poorly IMO - wasn't that half the point of promoted touch judges to assistant referees - and its not just the Crusaders who have taken advantage of that at times. I do however think the Crusaders did infringe enough to warrant a warning at least, if not a yellow card.

cometer

State Regular
Bah, was 15 seconds away from picking an upset, all things considered. Thought the Crusaders defended tremendously and with such a weakened squad, that would've been a massive result if they'd been able to take the victory tonight. Didn't see the knock-on you mentioned leading up to the Laulala try, also don't necessarily agree that the Crusaders got the best of the decisions from Bryce Lawrence. The offside line throughout the whole opening round and a half has been monitored very poorly IMO - wasn't that half the point of promoted touch judges to assistant referees - and its not just the Crusaders who have taken advantage of that at times. I do however think the Crusaders did infringe enough to warrant a warning at least, if not a yellow card.
For sure it's not just the Crusaders but they're the bench setters for it and have been for quite a few seasons and rarely get picked up for it. Still it's not offside if it isn't called I suppose. Should be controlled better though.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Well, let's just say the Waratahs-Chiefs game wasn't an advertisement for free-flowing rugby, and leave it at that, shall we? :ph34r:

ripper868

International Coach
Well, let's just say the Waratahs-Chiefs game wasn't an advertisement for free-flowing rugby, and leave it at that, shall we? :ph34r:
Was puss wasnt it....Brumbies Crusaders was gun, the D from the crusaders was phenomonal in that last 10 minutes, good guts from brumbies as well though to not take the shot at 3 on a couple of occasions and go for the try.

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Will update scores tomorrow.

Week three fixtures:
Crusaders vs Hurricanes
Waratahs vs Highlanders
Chiefs vs Sharks
Brumbies vs Force
Lions vs Bulls
Stormers vs Blues
Reds vs Cheetahs