• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Super 14 2009 Discussion and Fantasy League

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Taped the game and whilst it was surprisingly entertaining, I'd be even more surprised if they didn't make up at least two of the last three, if not the last two, teams in the final standings. Well taken drop goals from the Lions but the fact that they scored only one of their tries against a full compliment of Cheetahs and then almost blew a 14 point lead midway through the second half leaves question marks over their ability. The Cheetahs weren't much better for the first 60 minutes, ill disciplined and I'd say they'll get hammered a couple of times away from home.
Yeah was a good game. Heinke van der Merwe was awesome and for all the stick he gets, Earl Rose had a decent outing as well. The Yank, Clever also had a decent debut and it looks like the guy can put himself about.

Watched a bit of the Hurricanes today and it just seemed like they were too clever for their own good. Fair play to the Waratahs though, I didn't fancy them at all.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Fantasy League Update

Yeh thats quite odd - even selecting the most expensive players in every category doesn't exceed the salary limit.
They've obviously realised they've effed up because they've scrubbed round one, revalued and are starting next week now.

If anyone wants to join go here:

http://www.fantasyrugby.com/s1409/

click on the "my conference" option after you register and the league is called "Cricket Web" & the password is "Bob". If you've entered previously details are carried forward. :)

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Good win by the Sharks. They should be looking at a bonus point next week. :)

Bulls Reds game was pretty good as well. Bulls still don’t look comfortable playing under the ELVs but they started the game really well and for the first 15 minutes it looked like the Reds could be in for what they got a few years back, a bloody hiding.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
You from Napier originally mate? Went there last year - bloody nice part of the world is Hawkes Bay.
Nah, from Dunedin - where the Highlanders are based. We are kinda like the Ellis Island of NZ Super 14 rugby - "Give us your weak, your poor, your illegal immigrants and all will be well."

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Cricketweb Prediction Competition Standings after Week One:
Cometer 6
Somerset 6
Luffy 5
99* 4
BoyBrumby 4
Samuel_Vimes 4
Simon 4
TT Boy 4
Voltman 4
Clapo 3
ripper868 3

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Good win by the Sharks. They should be looking at a bonus point next week. :)

Bulls Reds game was pretty good as well. Bulls still don’t look comfortable playing under the ELVs but they started the game really well and for the first 15 minutes it looked like the Reds could be in for what they got a few years back, a bloody hiding.
Yup Sharks were definitely the better side against the Stormers, and were unlucky to go into halftime 10-0 down. Guess it didn't help that Pienaar had an off-day with the boot, so just as well the Sharks have backup of a high quality in the form of Kockott and Steyn. Not a great start for the Stormers when you consider theres been a lot of talk about them potentially making the top four this year - winning your home games is a must for that to eventuate.

Agreed with your comment about the Bulls, though they were clearly superior to the Reds in Pretoria. There sure has been some mismatches between those two sides over the last few years so at least this match was a bit closer in the end. Interesting to see Matfield back, I presume the only reason hes returned is to claim a spot in the South African team when the Lions tour?

Last edited:

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Week Two matches:
Hurricanes vs Highlanders
Waratahs vs Chiefs
Force vs Cheetahs
Stormers vs Reds
Brumbies vs Crusaders
Bulls vs Blues
Sharks vs Lions

No Saturday evening match in New Zealand which is a bit unusual. I'll post my picks once a few sides have been announced.

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Waratahs vs Chiefs
Force vs Cheetahs
Stormers vs Reds
Brumbies vs Crusaders
Bulls vs Blues
Sharks vs Lions

Langeveldt

Soutie
As much as I hate the Sharks, I'm glad they gave the Stormers a good kicking this weekend.. I can't stand teams who talk themselves up for no apparent reason as if they have a right to be at the top of the log, kind of like the England cricket team.. To be honest, anything in Cape Town deserves to be brought down to earth slightly, like the two buffoons next to me who were spoiling my valentines day meal..

Last edited:

ripper868

International Coach
Waratahs vs Chiefs
Force vs Cheetahs
Stormers vs Reds
Brumbies vs Crusaders
Bulls vs Blues
Sharks vs Lions

luffy

International Captain
Waratahs vs Chiefs
Force vs Cheetahs
Stormers vs Reds
Brumbies vs Crusaders
Bulls vs Blues
Sharks vs Lions

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Yup Sharks were definitely the better side against the Stormers, and were unlucky to go into halftime 10-0 down. Guess it didn't help that Pienaar had an off-day with the boot, so just as well the Sharks have backup of a high quality in the form of Kockott and Steyn. Not a great start for the Stormers when you consider theres been a lot of talk about them potentially making the top four this year - winning your home games is a must for that to eventuate.

Agreed with your comment about the Bulls, though they were clearly superior to the Reds in Pretoria. There sure has been some mismatches between those two sides over the last few years so at least this match was a bit closer in the end. Interesting to see Matfield back, I presume the only reason hes returned is to claim a spot in the South African team when the Lions tour?
He said it was because he was homesick. The French however, suggest it was because he didn't like the on-field violence that was going on in the Top 14. It was more Bakkies Botha’s scene...

Matfield is out of the Bulls Blues game this weekend, so that is a big blow but the Blues have far more injury problems.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Anyone else slightly concerned about the lack of crowds for the first weekend? Newlands was a sell out and Lions got a decent crowd for such a huge stadium but not many at the Force game and not huge numbers in New Zealand. Still the summer I guess…

cometer

State Regular
Waratahs vs Chiefs
Force vs Cheetahs
Stormers vs Reds
Brumbies vs Crusaders
Bulls vs Blues
Sharks vs Lions

Don't often tip straight down one side but I can't see any of the away sides winning.