• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Super 14 2009 Discussion and Fantasy League

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Password is "Bob" for anyone interested.

Dunno what's going on with the player values tho; couldn't spend anywhere near my $10m.
Yeh thats quite odd - even selecting the most expensive players in every category doesn't exceed the salary limit.

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Highlanders vs Brumbies
Force vs Blues
Lions vs Cheetahs
Crusaders vs Chiefs
Hurricanes vs Waratahs
Stormers vs Sharks
Bulls vs Reds

Some really close games to select - both Friday night matches and the Stormers vs Sharks on Sunday morning will go down to the wire IMO.

luffy

International Captain
Highlanders vs Brumbies
Force vs Blues
Lions vs Cheetahs
Crusaders vs Chiefs
Hurricanes vs Waratahs
Stormers vs Sharks
Bulls vs Reds

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Highlanders vs Brumbies
Force vs Blues
Lions vs Cheetahs
Crusaders vs Chiefs
Hurricanes vs Waratahs
Stormers vs Sharks
Bulls vs Reds

Some really close games to select - both Friday night matches and the Stormers vs Sharks on Sunday morning will go down to the wire IMO.
The Stormers talk themselves up too much, Sharks will take them but it should be a top game and I’m interested to see how the Stormers young loose forward, Koster goes on the wing.

The Reds aside, the Lions Cheetahs game should just decide who will come last. Cheetahs have a real tough few weeks on the road and have no depth but last year in between huge amounts of mediocrity they played some nice stuff. South Africa have one franchise too many and the thought of another one in Eastern Province is ludicrous given how those two franchises have done in S14.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Why on earth have they gone back to the four-point process for the scrums? Once again, it comes down to the referee's timing - and each of them have different speeds when they call it. An utter shambles.

Despite that, I can't complain about the first few minutes of the new season...

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Why on earth have they gone back to the four-point process for the scrums? Once again, it comes down to the referee's timing - and each of them have different speeds when they call it. An utter shambles.

Despite that, I can't complain about the first few minutes of the new season...
I assume you're talking about when they say "Pause, Touch, Engage"?

If so, what's the fourth?

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
I assume you're talking about when they say "Pause, Touch, Engage"?
If so, what's the fourth?
In last year's Air NZ Cup, they went back to Crouch, Touch, Engage (which was in use several years back). It worked so much more smoothly and there were far fewer resets. They've now put it back to Crouch, Touch, Pause, Engage.

Johnners

Ah, of course. Entirely agree though, I only get to watch Wallabies matches, and scrums are one of my biggest bug-bears for that reason. The ref's timing of each call even seemed to differ accross the course of the match as well, which made for a shambles.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Game has turned to **** for a Highlanders fan - lost Cowan and Mackintosh within five minutes of each other, we've started to play like ****, and this "non-neutral" referee situation has backfired. Badly.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Fight our way back into the game with two tries then give up a droppie with a minute to go . ****ing hell. Same ****, different year.

cometer

State Regular
Don't like the non-neutral referees either. Sure we probably benefited a bit from it tonight but at the end of the season it could really turn sour if there's critical matches where a ref can influence the result. Not accusing refs of deliberating doing anything but it's currently a lose-lose situation. The side that loses either blames the ref for being biased or being too hard trying not to be biased. So much better with neutral referees even if I dislike some of them.

Thought we'd basically thrown the game away at the end there, twice. Once to give them the try to get the lead, then when there was about 20 seconds left we coughed up the ball again in a dangerous position.

So glad we got up, wasn't looking promising early on. :cool:

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Entertaining match to start the season. Was a great start for the Highlanders before losing Cowan and Mackintosh - I thought their replacements in Romans and King were decent enough though. At that stage I couldn't see the Brumbies getting back into it so to watch them amass 30 unanswered points was astonishing. I think the problem with the Highlanders was a lack of leadership besides Cowan. Bowden was fantastic for the first twenty minutes then was almost annonymous for the rest of the match, and missed an important conversion. Their only other all Black besides the two that were injured, Adam Thomson, played well but is hardly a leader and Shoemark, who ended as captain, was in his first Super 14 match.

Also thought it was worth noting that at a quick count just nine of the Highlanders' 22 played for Otago in the NPC...

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeh really bizarre to use the four calls for scrums after the three calls worked so well during the Air New Zealand Cup - I haven't heard many complaints about three calls for the scrum engagement during the domestic season so no idea why they'd continue with four at Super 14 level.

social

Big win for the Waratahs - written off by most and spent 78% of the game in their own half away from home against a highly rated side

Have watched most of the games so far and it looks like some of the kiwis are short of a gallop so not getting carried away by the Brumbies or Tahs just yet

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Hurricanes playing their usual dumb football. If they had anyone in their teams with brains over the last 13 years, they may have had a couple of titles in the cabinet. That said, Beale showed flashes of brilliance going forward.

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Big win for the Waratahs - written off by most and spent 78% of the game in their own half away from home against a highly rated side

Have watched most of the games so far and it looks like some of the kiwis are short of a gallop so not getting carried away by the Brumbies or Tahs just yet
Yup thats a really good victory for the Tahs - they took their chances well and the Hurricanes really will be regretting being unable to capatilise on so much good ball in the Tah's 22. Perhaps the Waratahs were lucky not to have conceeded a few more straight arm penalties and/or had a player or two sin binned, especially given Dickinson issued a warning about cynical play after a minute and a half.

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
The Reds aside, the Lions Cheetahs game should just decide who will come last. Cheetahs have a real tough few weeks on the road and have no depth but last year in between huge amounts of mediocrity they played some nice stuff. South Africa have one franchise too many and the thought of another one in Eastern Province is ludicrous given how those two franchises have done in S14.
Taped the game and whilst it was surprisingly entertaining, I'd be even more surprised if they didn't make up at least two of the last three, if not the last two, teams in the final standings. Well taken drop goals from the Lions but the fact that they scored only one of their tries against a full compliment of Cheetahs and then almost blew a 14 point lead midway through the second half leaves question marks over their ability. The Cheetahs weren't much better for the first 60 minutes, ill disciplined and I'd say they'll get hammered a couple of times away from home.

Good victory for the Blues though, away from home and with a depleted side (Ali and Jay Williams, Kaino and Rokocoko). Doesn't get any easier facing the Bulls in Pretoria next week though. Force will be disappointed, they had the lead at halftime and the wind advantage in the second half.

Thought the Crusaders vs Chiefs match was pretty good with neither side quite at their best. Wasn't convinced over Donald but Leonard was fantastic in his comeback match. Was surprised at the decision from Blackadder to start Slade ahead of Brett - Slade had a decent match without being outstanding so it'll be interesting to see who plays at first five for the red and blacks next week.