Cricket Player Manager
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Drugs claim could spell disaster for Michael Phelps

Drugs claim could spell disaster for Michael Phelps

Actually surprised this hasn't been mentioned by anyone yet.

Drugs claim could spell disaster for Michael Phelps - Times Online

Will be intrigued to hear what the final outcome is. Would be a shame to lose such a great swimmer to something so stupid, even if it is only for a short period of time. No doubt there will be plenty who use this as a launching pad for more serious drug allegations.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Mitch Johnson is ****ing awesome for cricket.
    Quote Originally Posted by pasag View Post
    Ponting's ability to ton up in the first innings of a series should not be understated. So much pressure, so important. What a great!

Quote Originally Posted by Clapo View Post
    No doubt there will be plenty who use this as a launching pad for more serious drug allegations.

Really? A young bloke punching a cone really should be taken at face value, and only that. Probably not the smartest thing for him to do but in American sports there are so many NBA and NFL players who smoke marijuana that I don't see what the fuss is about.

Really over the top some of the reactions I've read in other places.
    True, a Duffer "heh" is like 50 likes.

Duck Hunt Champion! Plops Champion!
    Tournaments Won: 2
    Crankin'
    Direbirds FTW!

Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Wellington will win the whole thing next year. Mark my words.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flem274* View Post
    I'll offer up my avatar to Athlai forever if Wellington wins the Champions League.
    President of T.I.T.S
    Tamim Is Talented Society

Cricketer Of The Year ripper868's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by duffer View Post
    Really? A young bloke punching a cone really should be taken at face value, and only that. Probably not the smartest thing for him to do but in American sports there are so many NBA and NFL players who smoke marijuana that I don't see what the fuss is about.

The big thing is he's on the cereal boxes everywhere and is the golden child of america that every american should aspire to be/be married too...little jim-bob just gave up swimming and took up ice cream because he has been left distraught by this awful, awful man.

[/] american soccer mOm
    Parmi

Avatar now by choice. 5-0 in the Ashes and all.

Ah, the old role model argument. Never liked it tbh, it's not something they ever asked for.

Ah, the old role model argument. Never liked it tbh, it's not something they ever asked for.
    Yup, but when there's millions of schmakos in endorsements etc, with something probably written in to his contracts about public image is when it becomes an issue.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Simon's Avatar
    Not the smartest thing, drugs of any sort never are, but really there are far worse things going on than this.

The thing that's different about NBA and NFL players, is that they aren't competing outside of America. Whether or not it's right or wrong, I can't imagine fans of Phelps' rivals around the world missing the opportunity to launch drug allegations against a freakishly good American swimmer.
    Last edited by Johnners; 01-02-2009 at 11:16 PM.

Never liked it tbh, it's not something they ever asked for.
    Yeah, that's exactly right.

This is a real shame. Stupid thing to do, but the poor guy's going to go through much more grief for it than he deserves to.

I don't envy people who live their lives in the spotlight.

Quote Originally Posted by Clapo View Post
    The thing that's different about NBA and NFL players, is that they aren't competing outside of America. Whether or not it's right or wrong, I can't imagine fans of Phelps' rivals around the world, missing the opportunity to launch drug allegations against a freakishly good American swimmer.
    fixed

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Perm is Michael Phelps and I claim my five pounds.
    WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie
    "People make me happy.. not places.. people"

"When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life." - Samuel Johnson

"Hope is the fuel of progress and fear is the prison in which you put yourself" - Tony Benn

How stupid and oblivious do you have to be to get a photo taken like that?
    Rest In Peace Craigos
    2003-2012

Respectfully disagree here.

When they accept millions of dollars to make ads like these you are putting yourself out to be a role model. You're talking about overcoming the odds, and working hard etc. Those are good qualities.

I don't really care about Phelps smoking some marijuana, and I'm obviously not a parent as well. But I do sympathise with the reasoned parents who are concerned that a guy that is being paraded around as an American hero is doing recreational drugs at a college party.

The buck falls on the parent to teach and discipline their kids, and make them understand that what they see their favourite players/stars doing on TV isn't always advisable, but it'd help if the athlete (and again, not Phelps in particular) behaved well.

Its not like Mike Tyson or anything, where everyone knows he's a jackass, and his media endorsements showed him off as a crazy mofo who beats the living pulp out of people, but is cool.

However advertising campaigns like the Adidas "Impossible is Nothing" commercials send a message of "look up to these guys, look what they did, and you can do it too." The minute you sign the dotted line to be on these types of ads, you are held accountable to your actions.
    "I am very happy and it will allow me to have lot more rice."

Eoin Morgan on being given a rice cooker for being Man of the Match in a Dhaka Premier Division game.

Banned
    I cannot believe such a guy could do such an idiotic act. Marijuana is not performance enhancing, however it is just ridiculously stupid of him to get caught doing such things.

Respectfully disagree here.

When they accept millions of dollars to make ads like these you are putting yourself out to be a role model. You're talking about overcoming the odds, and working hard etc. Those are good qualities.

I don't really care about Phelps smoking some marijuana, and I'm obviously not a parent as well. But I do sympathise with the reasoned parents who are concerned that a guy that is being paraded around as an American hero is doing recreational drugs at a college party.

The buck falls on the parent to teach and discipline their kids, and make them understand that what they see their favourite players/stars doing on TV isn't always advisable, but it'd help if the athlete (and again, not Phelps in particular) behaved well.

Its not like Mike Tyson or anything, where everyone knows he's a jackass, and his media endorsements showed him off as a crazy mofo who beats the living pulp out of people, but is cool.

However advertising campaigns like the Adidas "Impossible is Nothing" commercials send a message of "look up to these guys, look what they did, and you can do it too." The minute you sign the dotted line to be on these types of ads, you are held accountable to your actions.
    I can't really argue with any of that especially the parenting angle, however I still believe the biggest crime he committed was getting photographed

But in his defence he probably had no idea what was going on anyway.
    Last edited by duffer; 02-02-2009 at 12:46 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information