• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Drugs claim could spell disaster for Michael Phelps

duffer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
No doubt there will be plenty who use this as a launching pad for more serious drug allegations.

Really? A young bloke punching a cone really should be taken at face value, and only that. Probably not the smartest thing for him to do but in American sports there are so many NBA and NFL players who smoke marijuana that I don't see what the fuss is about.

Really over the top some of the reactions I've read in other places.

ripper868

International Coach
Really? A young bloke punching a cone really should be taken at face value, and only that. Probably not the smartest thing for him to do but in American sports there are so many NBA and NFL players who smoke marijuana that I don't see what the fuss is about.

The big thing is he's on the cereal boxes everywhere and is the golden child of america that every american should aspire to be/be married too...little jim-bob just gave up swimming and took up ice cream because he has been left distraught by this awful, awful man.

[/] american soccer mOm

duffer

Ah, the old role model argument. Never liked it tbh, it's not something they ever asked for.

ripper868

International Coach
Ah, the old role model argument. Never liked it tbh, it's not something they ever asked for.
Yup, but when there's millions of schmakos in endorsements etc, with something probably written in to his contracts about public image is when it becomes an issue.

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Not the smartest thing, drugs of any sort never are, but really there are far worse things going on than this.

Johnners

The thing that's different about NBA and NFL players, is that they aren't competing outside of America. Whether or not it's right or wrong, I can't imagine fans of Phelps' rivals around the world missing the opportunity to launch drug allegations against a freakishly good American swimmer.

Last edited:

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Never liked it tbh, it's not something they ever asked for.
Yeah, that's exactly right.

This is a real shame. Stupid thing to do, but the poor guy's going to go through much more grief for it than he deserves to.

I don't envy people who live their lives in the spotlight.

ripper868

International Coach
The thing that's different about NBA and NFL players, is that they aren't competing outside of America. Whether or not it's right or wrong, I can't imagine fans of Phelps' rivals around the world, missing the opportunity to launch drug allegations against a freakishly good American swimmer.
fixed :)

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Respectfully disagree here.

When they accept millions of dollars to make ads like these you are putting yourself out to be a role model. You're talking about overcoming the odds, and working hard etc. Those are good qualities.

I don't really care about Phelps smoking some marijuana, and I'm obviously not a parent as well. But I do sympathise with the reasoned parents who are concerned that a guy that is being paraded around as an American hero is doing recreational drugs at a college party.

The buck falls on the parent to teach and discipline their kids, and make them understand that what they see their favourite players/stars doing on TV isn't always advisable, but it'd help if the athlete (and again, not Phelps in particular) behaved well.

Its not like Mike Tyson or anything, where everyone knows he's a jackass, and his media endorsements showed him off as a crazy mofo who beats the living pulp out of people, but is cool.

However advertising campaigns like the Adidas "Impossible is Nothing" commercials send a message of "look up to these guys, look what they did, and you can do it too." The minute you sign the dotted line to be on these types of ads, you are held accountable to your actions.

Precambrian

Banned
I cannot believe such a guy could do such an idiotic act. Marijuana is not performance enhancing, however it is just ridiculously stupid of him to get caught doing such things.

duffer

Respectfully disagree here.

When they accept millions of dollars to make ads like these you are putting yourself out to be a role model. You're talking about overcoming the odds, and working hard etc. Those are good qualities.

I don't really care about Phelps smoking some marijuana, and I'm obviously not a parent as well. But I do sympathise with the reasoned parents who are concerned that a guy that is being paraded around as an American hero is doing recreational drugs at a college party.

The buck falls on the parent to teach and discipline their kids, and make them understand that what they see their favourite players/stars doing on TV isn't always advisable, but it'd help if the athlete (and again, not Phelps in particular) behaved well.

Its not like Mike Tyson or anything, where everyone knows he's a jackass, and his media endorsements showed him off as a crazy mofo who beats the living pulp out of people, but is cool.

However advertising campaigns like the Adidas "Impossible is Nothing" commercials send a message of "look up to these guys, look what they did, and you can do it too." The minute you sign the dotted line to be on these types of ads, you are held accountable to your actions.
I can't really argue with any of that especially the parenting angle, however I still believe the biggest crime he committed was getting photographed :p

But in his defence he probably had no idea what was going on anyway.

Last edited:

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Don't care on an individual level. Has no bearing at all on his sporting achievements or whether or not he is a "good guy". I guess the endorsements are an issue, but it's not like Phelps has come out and done anti-drug advertising has he? If he had, that'd be an issue in my mind. I don't see the problem with having a smoke at a party if you're on a cereal box. Especially given the way other drug taking by sports people is considered socially acceptable.

Pretty dumb to have the photo taken, mind. I doubt it will hurt him much though.

Johnners

If he does recieve some sort of ban I can't imagine his sponsors would look too kindly at it.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
How stupid and oblivious do you have to be to get a photo taken like that?
Welcome to the wonderful wacky world of weed. Next photo has him slumped on couch watching LOTR surrounded by mars bar wrappers.

He's daft, obv, but it's fairly arbitrary that marijuana is illegal and booze isn't. It's not an original argument, but if a drug was synthesised now that had the effects of alcohol it'd be banned quicker than you can say "prohibition".

Adamc

Cricketer Of The Year
A mixture of shock and disbelief swept the United States yesterday as the nation woke up to an abject apology from the man it had hailed as its greatest Olympic athlete.
You'd think he'd raped a nun or something. I'm guessing 'bemusement and apathy' is more accurate than 'shock and disbelief' in this case.