• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Drugs claim could spell disaster for Michael Phelps

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Respectfully disagree here.

When they accept millions of dollars to make ads like these you are putting yourself out to be a role model. You're talking about overcoming the odds, and working hard etc. Those are good qualities.

I don't really care about Phelps smoking some marijuana, and I'm obviously not a parent as well. But I do sympathise with the reasoned parents who are concerned that a guy that is being paraded around as an American hero is doing recreational drugs at a college party.

The buck falls on the parent to teach and discipline their kids, and make them understand that what they see their favourite players/stars doing on TV isn't always advisable, but it'd help if the athlete (and again, not Phelps in particular) behaved well.

Its not like Mike Tyson or anything, where everyone knows he's a jackass, and his media endorsements showed him off as a crazy mofo who beats the living pulp out of people, but is cool.

However advertising campaigns like the Adidas "Impossible is Nothing" commercials send a message of "look up to these guys, look what they did, and you can do it too." The minute you sign the dotted line to be on these types of ads, you are held accountable to your actions.
Not having that. He got paid to have his foty taken wearing Nike shoes, not lead a squeaky-clean lifestyle til the end of time.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Big deal, bloke can have a toke if he wants to.

Maybe if he'd be snorting coke or shooting up heroin then we should be concerned, but as it is, I think not.

analyst

U19 12th Man
Exactly, the press want to discover talent but just can't wait to get their hands on these behind the scenes stories where they can tear them to shreds. Just watch Usain Bolt pop up in some controversy in the future too. Media is out of control.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Not having that. He got paid to have his foty taken wearing Nike shoes, not lead a squeaky-clean lifestyle til the end of time.
No, you missed the point.

Have a photo of yourself wearing Nike shoes and then go smoke a bong... I don't care. But don't sign on the dotted line if you're going to talk about overcoming adversity, having a great character etc. You are saying (or rather the company is paying you to say) "I am a role model, look up to me"

I distinctly differentiated that from simply being on an ad and saying Nike shoes make me jump higher. I made clear I wasn't exactly referring to Phelps in particular, as I said marijuana is meh to me.

But if instead of marijuana, if you replace that with a pub fight (or let's say, beating the **** out of a DJ, Steven Gerrard style), then you are contradicting what you are portraying on your ads.

I'm hardly someone who goes nuts when a celebrity star is caught drinking or something, but let's not be fan boys here and wash their hands clean of any wrongdoing, yet allow them a ridiculous amount of money to talk about how their story can be followed and their dream lived for many kids around the world.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!

Have a photo of yourself wearing Nike shoes, but then don't sign on the dotted line if you're going to talk about overcoming adversity etc. You are saying, I am a role model, look up to me.

I distinctly differentiated that from simply being on an ad and saying Nike shoes make me jump higher. I made clear I wasn't exactly referring to Phelps in particular, as I said marijuana is meh to me.

But if instead of marijuana, if you replace that with a pub fight (or let's say, beating the **** out of a DJ, Steven Gerrard style), then you are contradicting what you are portraying on your ads.

I'm hardly someone who goes nuts when a celebrity star is caught drinking or something, but let's not be fan boys here and wash their hands clean of any wrongdoing, yet allow them a ridiculous amount of money to talk about how their story can be followed and their dream lived for many kids around the world.
I guess it just comes down to the fact that i consider smoking weed the minorest of minor offenses. Plenty of people have the odd joint (myself not included) and i consider it their business. I have a bit of sympathy with someone like Phelps who can't do something so insignificant without making news and having a load of melty middle-aged women whine at him.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Yep, that's fine. I only responded to the post that they aren't putting themselves up as role models, and with more serious cases of breaking the law (eg. DUI).

10-15 years ago when they just had their face on cereal boxes or ads saying "buy these shoes", that was fine. Now there are more and more ad campaigns (paying more and more dollars) which have themes of what I've mentioned earlier. That changes the ball game.

analyst

U19 12th Man

Have a photo of yourself wearing Nike shoes and then go smoke a bong... I don't care. But don't sign on the dotted line if you're going to talk about overcoming adversity, having a great character etc. You are saying (or rather the company is paying you to say) "I am a role model, look up to me"

Because the media throws forward a picture of a guy smoking pot, you get all high and mighty when your next door neighbour and yourself might just have done it yourself last night. If you didn't I am sorry for the assumption, I just mean, superstars are human and stories are sold by the media and then they are waiting for them to do something for them to talk about.

Amy Winehouse, in the beginning people embraced her, now they hate her as if she is some poisonous venom that is corrupting the world, when in all seriousness who cares what she is doing if she is a musician.

Media gives kids the wrong impression about celebrities, they sell their stories because they want to tell others its possible not because they want to be role models for life.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Because the media throws forward a picture of a guy smoking pot, you get all high and mighty when your next door neighbour and yourself might just have done it yourself last night. If you didn't I am sorry for the assumption, I just mean, superstars are human and stories are sold by the media and then they are waiting for them to do something for them to talk about.
Okay I'll stop here, because the point I'm arguing is obviously different to the thread at hand, which is basically about Phelps and this particular incident.

I don't really care about Phelps doing pot, in fact the fact he does it and he's possible the best swimmer ever is kind of funny.

My favourite Australian Rules Football team just recruited a notorious drug abuser, who happens to be a champion of the game. I love that we recruited him.

My point is that athletes that purposely portray their image as those of good character, rather than just being good athletes, put the onus on themselves to act in a lawful manner. It was a general point to a specific post saying that the "role model" argument can't be used for atheletes, but I think in some instances it can. These instances are becoming more common, where I had Adidas giving me ads (really cool ads at that) about how sporting athletes have had it tough, and their "overcoming the odds" attitude makes them great people. :)

duffer

Amy Winehouse, in the beginning people embraced her, now they hate her as if she is some poisonous venom that is corrupting the world, when in all seriousness who cares what she is doing if she is a musician.
People though of Winehouse as an endearing yet tragic drug story who had incredible talent as a musician.

It's when people saw the racist video and an assortment of other ****ed up misdemeanours that they really started turning on her. Personally just feel bad for her, so many assholes who surround her all milking it for all it's worth instead of trying to help her. Properly screwed up story and miles different to sportsmen choofing or snorting cola once in a while at parties.

Son Of Coco

Why not just use this to his advantage...have Nestle bring out a breakfast product called 'Wheat Cones' and include a little bong for children to eat through. Phelps could be on the box inhaling deeply.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
People though of Winehouse as an endearing yet tragic drug story who had incredible talent as a musician.

It's when people saw the racist video and an assortment of other ****ed up misdemeanours that they really started turning on her. Personally just feel bad for her, so many assholes who surround her all milking it for all it's worth instead of trying to help her. Properly screwed up story and miles different to sportsmen choofing or snorting cola once in a while at parties.
? Haven't seen or heard about that one. Could someone explain?

Redbacks

International Captain
If nike pay a player $1 million a year then they would expect to 'exploit' their fame and make millions themselves. I don;t think the athlete owes anything to the company, however by destroying their own image, and thus for the brand, they should be sacked if the damage is beyond repair. This is probably the decision his sponsors would make, can we still exploit him? Yes, well he can keep the deal. Also the player thinks 'should I do this or that?' well not if I want to keep getting paid.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member

Well, it is not the athlete's fault though, if the world starts looking upto them, is it ? Just because someone smoked weed doesn't mean he/she didn't overcome all the adversity. As for the character stuff, yeah he showed poor judgement, but I dont understand how one such error negates all the hard work he has done.

Clearly storm in a tea cup. I guess there isn't much happening in the sports world these days so bring up some controversy to get the rating.