• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Greatest Football XI of All-time

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Dont think i've ever come across such a thread in the football section of this site. Which is surprising given the solid knowledge by many of this site on the sport.

My take:

Code:
                                            YASHIN

CARLOS ALBERTO          MOORE          BECKENBAUER                   NILTON SANTOS

MATTHAUS

CRUIJFF                 MARADONA                PLATINI

PELE                    EUSEBIO
Legendary subs:

- Gordon Banks
- Franco Baresi
- Paulo Maldini
- Claudio Gentile
- George Best
- Garrincha
- Zinedine Zidane
- Ferenc Puskas
- Alfred Di Stefano

Michaelf7777777

International Debutant
GK: Schmeichel
RB: Vogts
CB: Beckenbauer
CB: Moore
LB: Maldini
RM: Garrincha
CM: Neeskens
CM: Di Stefano
LM: Maradona
ST: Pele
ST: Muller

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
I think the choices open up the question, Who was the Greatest European player?

Ill think about my team for a few mins before posting.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
GK: Schmeichel
RB: Irwin
LB: Dunne
CB: Edwards
CB: Bruce
CM: Keane
CM: Charlton
RW: Best
LW: Giggs
CF: Law
CF: Taylor

Subs:
Stepney
Scholes
Cantona
Vidic
Evra
Ronaldo
Foulkes

Obviously.

cpr

International Coach
Foulkes > Bruce IMO.

Edwards wernt a centre back either, not by main trade

Shaggy Alfresco

State Captain
Code:
            Thorstvedt

Edinburgh Gary Mabbutt MBE   Gary Mabbutt MBE   Gary Mabbutt MBE

Gary Mabbutt MBE   Gary Mabbutt MBE   Gary Mabbutt MBE   Gary Mabbutt MBE

Gary Mabbutt MBE  Gary Mabbutt MBE

Last edited:

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Not entirely serious.

Edwards wasn't really really any modern position by main trade, tbf.
Indeed - though I always pick him central defence for all time United XIs. He played the same nominal position as Bobby Moore (left-half) and we always consider Moore a central defender. Such was Edwards' talent and versatility though that we often see him picked in midfield these days in fantasy XIs.

And I'd have Byrne over Dunne at left back. :p

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Code:
            Thorstvedt

Edinburgh Gary Mabbutt MBE   Gary Mabbutt MBE   Gary Mabbutt MBE

Gary Mabbutt MBE   Gary Mabbutt MBE   Gary Mabbutt MBE   Gary Mabbutt MBE

Gary Mabbutt MBE  Gary Mabbutt MBE
I like Gary Mabbutt as much as the next guy, but Justin Edinburgh in the defensive line? You might as well just leave a gaping hole with a welcome mat inviting the winger down the flank.

Barney Rubble

International Coach
Pompey All-Time XI:

GK Alan Knight
RB Vince Hilaire
LB Matty Taylor (circa 2003)
CB Jimmy Dickinson
CB Darren Moore (circa 2000)
CM Robert Prosinecki
CM Paul Merson
CM Darren Anderton
RWF Guy Whittingham
LWF Yakubu Aiyegbeni
CF Paul Walsh

Subs:

David James
Sol Campbell
Svetoslav Todorov
Teddy Sheringham
Patrik Berger
Steve Stone
Sammy Igoe
Matthias Svensson
Lassana Diarra

aussie

Hall of Fame Member

Ill think about my team for a few mins before posting.
I have a preference for attacking players so id lean towards Criijff, Platini or Puskas personally.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Damn, why has everyone gone soooo off-topic & not posted an actual All-time XI of your choice??

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Damn, why has everyone gone soooo off-topic & not posted an actual All-time XI of your choice??
I will, once I work out what it is...

I know my keeper and back four, and most of my midfield/attack - where I have an issue is the final midfield spot. Most of the great midfielders who get picked for these sort of teams are creative attacking players, but picking say three of them (eg Cruyff, Platini, Zidane) plus three forwards means we're being a bit over-indulgent. I'm tempted by John Charles, who was both an outstanding centre-forward and a great central defender, to play in front of the back four and add some steel to the middle of the park, while not compromising on attacking class.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Do they have to be European-born? Di Stefano, Zidane and Eusebio are three men who always rank highly in any such poll, yet all were born outside Europe. Di Stefano didn't even move to Europe until he was in his late-20s.

Indipper

State Regular
Favourite XI since I started watching (1992)
GK Schmeichel
LB Maldini
CB Koeman
CB Baresi
RB Zanetti
LM Giggs
CM Zidane
CM Herzog
RM Luís Figo
FW Shearer
FW Bergkamp

Will throw together some all-time thing with less bias later.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
I will, once I work out what it is...

I know my keeper and back four, and most of my midfield/attack - where I have an issue is the final midfield spot. Most of the great midfielders who get picked for these sort of teams are creative attacking players, but picking say three of them (eg Cruyff, Platini, Zidane) plus three forwards means we're being a bit over-indulgent. I'm tempted by John Charles, who was both an outstanding centre-forward and a great central defender, to play in front of the back four and add some steel to the middle of the park, while not compromising on attacking class.
Yea reading about him i've always wondered, did he somehow manage to interchange playing as a defender & striker in the same game or more realistically he would interchange the role in different games depending on the opposition??

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Yea reading about him i've always wondered, did he somehow manage to interchange playing as a defender & striker in the same game or more realistically he would interchange the role in different games depending on the opposition??
I've not read of him doing both in the same game, though given his talent and versatility I wouldn't have put it past him. As I understand it he played up forward at club level, particularly with Juventus where he and Sivori formed a truly great attacking partnership. For Wales, however, he played in central defence and was equally outstanding.