• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Greatest Football XI of All-time

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Not Messi. Figo I can maybe work with, but there HAS to be someone better than those guys.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Not Messi. Figo I can maybe work with, but there HAS to be someone better than those guys.
Messi isn't really and right-winger though. Although he tends to play out their alot for Barca.

Figo, Ronaldo are the only natural right-winger i have seen play that role consistently.

Although Nedved (early Juve days), Ribery @ Munich did/doing excellently.

Figo & Ronaldo play differently though, reckon Figo was more solid at this peak. Ronaldo is just more exciting is guess.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
I didn't see either too, and I guess they're talking about talent with Georgie, which is probably fair enough actually, just a great shame it was squandered so hugely IMHO. Still think bobby is criminally under-rated because of lack of looks or interesting personality disorders, but that's probably just me....
FWIW I completely agree. It's arguable that Best peaked higher than anyone else (and also arguable that he didn't) but his peak was quite shortso I don't really think he can be in consideration for best of all time. Charlton certainly would be IMO. I also think Charlton is underrated because he wasn't a particularly interesting person, or a flashy foreigner.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Bestie peaked over three or four seasons so he was far from being a flash in the pan - the flaws in his character that caused his genius to flower so briefly are arguably precisely the same characteristics that caused it to flower at all so I wouldn't agree that longevity has much bearing on the "Who is the greatest" question - if it did then Stanley Matthews case would be unarguable and indeed he is a fair call anyway based on what those who did see him said of him

And Grecian mentioned Duncan Edwards - was he better than Pele, Maradona, Cruyff etc? - I never really took the suggestion seriously before there was all that nostalgia on tv this time last year - he looked superb on the old footage and all his contempories thought so - I also failed to take on board that at 21 he was already an established club star and international at the time of his death - that goal against Scotland - superb - he'd only have been 34 in Mexico in 1970 - now there's a thought to conjure with.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
Bestie peaked over three or four seasons so he was far from being a flash in the pan
Oh, I don't deny this, and even in the early seventies, when things were really going downhill, he was still regularly the best player on the pitch - if he turned up that is. However, although he wasn't a flash in the pan, his career was still short (well, his serious career was anyway), and I feel this has to be taken into account.

I think really when you try and name these sort of teams it needs to be more specific anyway - those that peaked the highest or those that overall had the best careers overall. If we're doing those who peaked the highest, I'd have Best on one of the wings. If it was the latter, I wouldn't.

Francis

State Vice-Captain
I nearly spit-out my drink when I saw a few all-time sides and no Maldini at LB. Fortunately I saw his name a few times in this thread.

He's the second best defender of all time and a bloody mortal pick in any all-time side.

Indipper

State Regular
Unless you have Beckenbauer in a side, which you actually should, you don't need Maldini. Prefer Facchetti TBH.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Unless you have Beckenbauer in a side, which you actually should, you don't need Maldini. Prefer Facchetti TBH.
Not sure I follow here - are you saying you couldn't have one in your team without the other, i.e. both or neither?

Indipper

State Regular
Not sure I follow here - are you saying you couldn't have one in your team without the other, i.e. both or neither?
Just stating my opinion. Would rather have Facchetti at LB if it just was about LBs. It's not, so I'd go with Maldini to back up Beckenbauer. Facchetti played with very classic sweepers, and Beckenbauer was notoriously lazy in defense so Maldini and Beckenbauer make a better unit IMO.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Just stating my opinion. Would rather have Facchetti at LB if it just was about LBs. It's not, so I'd go with Maldini to back up Beckenbauer. Facchetti played with very classic sweepers, and Beckenbauer was notoriously lazy in defense so Maldini and Beckenbauer make a better unit IMO.
Fair enough mate, just wasn't sure I understood what you were saying. :)