Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Most dominant sports-people of all time?

John Coleman had an amazing career as a full forward before injury robbed him of many records.
    "I am very happy and it will allow me to have lot more rice."

Eoin Morgan on being given a rice cooker for being Man of the Match in a Dhaka Premier Division game.

Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    John Coleman had an amazing career as a full forward before injury robbed him of many records.
    Indeed - his goal per game average is second only to Hudson's but a dislocated knee ended his career after only 98 games at the age of just 25. He has at least as many advocates as Hudson for the title of greatest ever Full-Forward.
    Member of the Twenty20 is Boring Society

Quote Originally Posted by grecian View Post
    C'mon Man U.
    RIP Craigos

Quote Originally Posted by GeraintIsMyHero View Post
    Matt:

Ah, of course. I was thinking Michael Jordan--->Magic Johnson--->Michael Johnson wtf?
    Quote Originally Posted by Irfan
    We may not like you, your filthy rich coffers or your ratbag scum of supporters but by god do we respect you as a football team
    GOOD OLD COLLINGWOOD - PREMIERS IN 2010

Is Cam White, Is Good.

State Vice-Captain ohtani's jacket's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The Sean View Post
    Russell was unquestionably one of the all time greats of the NBA, but that Championship record has as much to do with the strength of that Celtics team as him individually. As great as he was at an individual level, there are plenty of good judges who considered him only the second best Centre of his generation, behind Wilt Chamberlain.
    Yeah, but it's one of those things where if you take Russell off the team the Celtics don't come close to winning 11 titles. The team was built around Russell's defence. There's no doubt Wilt was more dominant, even when he went against Russell he still put up huge numbers, but basketball is about titles.

Why?
    The author said Jordan would've had to average 43 points a game to match Bradman, but that doesn't make sense since basketball only lasts for 48 minutes under normal circumstances. Here's what I wrote about it last time:

"Let's take basketball as an example. Jordan played 1072 regular season games, averaging around 38 minutes a game. How in the hell is he supposed to average 43 points a game under those circumstances? Wilt Chamberlain did it for his first four seasons (averaging 50.4 in '61-62 and 44.8 in '62-63, on different teams I might add) & his name doesn't even get brought up in the discussion. Only one player in the history of the NBA has ever scored a 100 points in a single game and that was Chamberlain. If Bradman scored at 42 an hour, then it's fair to say that he's not that much greater than a Jordan or a Chamberlain when it comes to scoring average."

I dunno where he even began trying to compare facing a delivery in cricket to a possession in basketball, two batsman v. five offensive players, 6 balls per over v. no guaranteed shot attempt on a possession, 38 minutes vs. Bradman's average stay of 2 hours, 14 minutes... boundaries vs. 1-3 points...

But it's not a straight comparison of Bradman vs Jordan/Chamberlain. It's a comparison of the comparative difference between Bradman vs. all other cricketers and Jordan vs. all other basketballers. What sets Bradman apart is that there is literally no contest under any kind of measure you can come up with that doesn't end up with Bradman being the best by a big big margin. I admit I know next to nothing re: basketball, but from what you're saying about Chamberlain, it sounds like it's not even cut and dried that Jordan is the best basketballer ever. In virtually every other sport it's possible to have a sensible debate re: who has been it's greatest exponent.

If squash is your sport then Jahangir Khan, he went unbeaten for 5 years in the period he won 500 matches straight

Quote Originally Posted by Matt79 View Post
    But it's not a straight comparison of Bradman vs Jordan/Chamberlain. It's a comparison of the comparative difference between Bradman vs. all other cricketers and Jordan vs. all other basketballers. What sets Bradman apart is that there is literally no contest under any kind of measure you can come up with that doesn't end up with Bradman being the best by a big big margin. I admit I know next to nothing re: basketball, but from what you're saying about Chamberlain, it sounds like it's not even cut and dried that Jordan is the best basketballer ever. In virtually every other sport it's possible to have a sensible debate re: who has been it's greatest exponent.
    This.

lack of Rikki Clarke in this thread saddens me.

Quote Originally Posted by Xuhaib View Post
    If squash is your sport then Jahangir Khan, he went unbeaten for 5 years in the period he won 500 matches straight
    Jansher had a pretty amazing record too, didn't he?

Though as pasag said, if squash really is your sport it's hard to go past Heather McKay.

Quote Originally Posted by The Sean View Post
    Jansher had a pretty amazing record too, didn't he?

Though as pasag said, if squash really is your sport it's hard to go past Heather McKay.
    Jansher was the most boring sportsstar I have ever seen and playing such a visually boring sport like Squash made me hate him even more.

Oh, God, I'm bored. Might as well be listening to Genesis
    Ed Moses always deserves a shout in these things, unbeaten in 10 years, is quite an achievement.
    Do I contradict myself?
    Very well then I contradict myself,
    (I am large, I contain multitudes.
    Walt Whitman

Not much of a Sport really but Phil Taylor's 14 world championship wins in darts is pretty amazing.

Interesting article that has a quick look at this topic from the Freakonomics guy in the NYT blog (not the original author).
    If I only just posted the above post, please wait 5 mins before replying as there is bound to be edits

West Robham Rabid Wolves Caedere lemma quod eat lemma

Happy Birthday! (easier than using Birthday threads)

Email and MSN- Goughy at cricketmail dot net

Pinball Champion!
    Don Bradman

Can't find another sportsperson who was consistantly almost twice as good as his nearest competition. I guess Federer and Woods would come close.. Bolt one to watch

What was Gary Kasparov's record like in chess?
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    Don't like using my iPod dock. Ruins battery life too much.
    Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post
    Thanks Dick Smith. Will remember to subscribe to your newsletter for more electronic fun facts.

Global Moderator nightprowler10's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt79 View Post
    There's definitely much more debate than there should be about Jordan's status as the greatest in basketball. Wilt keeps getting brought up due to his dominance against the other teams in his era and his 50+ PPG season, yet people forget that there were something like 9 teams in the league out of which only the Celtics were really good, against whom his averages dropped to mediocre levels. Not to mention there was no such thing as a three second rule and he was easily the tallest man in the league. MJ, on the other hand, dominated the NBA at the league's absolute peak. He had an incredible amount of competition and he overcame all of it. His leadership skills were Imran-esque. He helped build a winning team that dominated a decade. So yeah, there was none better in my book. Russell and Jabbar come close.
    Last edited by nightprowler10; 23-01-2009 at 02:03 PM.
    RIP Craigos

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information