Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Most dominant sports-people of all time?

Problem is I have this image of her rubbing Agassi's bald head with oil.
    "I am very happy and it will allow me to have lot more rice."

Eoin Morgan on being given a rice cooker for being Man of the Match in a Dhaka Premier Division game.

Banned
    Sachin Tendulkar. Almost 2 decades at the top.

International Coach PhoenixFire's Avatar
    Curveball Champion!
    Usain Bolt looks as though he is in with a shout. Bradman for obvious reasons, but the ultimate has to be......

Beryl Burton. WAG.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Cat View Post
    1) Had double pneumonia as a kid, as did my twin sis. Doctors told my parents to pray that we lived through the night. Dad said **** off, I'm an atheist, you ****s better save my kids, etc. Then prayed anyway.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Floyd Mayweather Jr. You can't get much more dominant than that.
    Quote Originally Posted by zaremba View Post
    The Filth have comfortably the better bowling. But the Gash have the batting. Might be quite good to watch.

Quote Originally Posted by GeraintIsMyHero View Post
    Michael Johnson was absolutely phenomenal at his peak
    Yeah, incredible. As was Ed Moses (fantastic)

Sergey Bubka was another in Track & Field that dominated.

Alexander Karelin was unbeaten in 13 years of greco-roman wrestling and was a freak athlete and maybe the hardest man on the planet.

I believe Wayne Gretzky is the closest to Bradman in terms of the statistical comparison (though still a distance behind) from major sports.
    Last edited by Goughy; 21-01-2009 at 09:21 AM.
    If I only just posted the above post, please wait 5 mins before replying as there is bound to be edits

West Robham Rabid Wolves Caedere lemma quod eat lemma

Happy Birthday! (easier than using Birthday threads)

Email and MSN- Goughy at cricketmail dot net

International Coach PhoenixFire's Avatar
    Curveball Champion!
    Actually reckon Beryl Burton wipes the floor with anyone TBH.

Locked up inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt79 View Post
    Leaving that aside, Lance Armstrong's efforts at Le Tour are pretty amazing, especially as he has yet to be proven to have been on performance enhancing drugs at a time when lots of his competitors have been proven to be. (Not saying that he was but simply hasn't been caught yet, I'm just saying that while I have an open mind as to whether or not he was on gear, lots of others who were at the time have since been caught, but no definite proof re: Lance has come out). But either way, Armstrong didn't carry his dominance through the rest of the season in the manner required to make him comparable to a Bradman.
    TBF it's purely techincal that he hasn't. Six of his pee samples from 99 showed EPO when tested after the fact. He noteably refused permission for the samples to be retested too. From the BBC. Sorry he had cancer & all, but that doesn't make him clean. Or dirty, necessarily, he added for legal purposes.

Anyway: Julio Cesar Chavez. He went on too long so his record looks merely great (108 wins, 2 draws, 6 defeats), but he actually won his first 88 fights and was undefeated in his first 91.
    Cricket Web's 2013/14 Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"The committee discussed the issue of illegal bowling actions, and believed that there are a number of bowlers currently employing suspect actions in international cricket, and that the ICC's reporting and testing procedures are not adequately scrutinising these bowlers."
    - Even the ICC's own official press release thinks things must change

International 12th Man
    Eddy Merckx the Belgian cyclist from the 60's and 70's has to be Bradman's only competition in my opinion. 5 Tour de France's (could of won more but focused on the other grand tours in 1973, lost time due to after effects of a fan attack in 1975 and could well have won tours before his 1st one he competed in in 1969), also won 5 Giro d Italia's (Could of been 6 but was booted out of the 1969 one when leading it with a day to go on highly suspicious doping test (They booted him out and when he appealed the organisers had destroyed one sample and lost the other). Won 1 out of 3 of all races he competed in other his career which in fields of up to 200 riders is quite an achievement.

Cricketer Of The Year ripper868's Avatar
    Jonah Lomu...redefined what a winger does on the rugby field
    Parmi

Avatar now by choice. 5-0 in the Ashes and all.

Cricketer Of The Year SirBloody Idiot's Avatar
    In Aussie Rules, I'd say Peter Hudson. No one has come close to kicking seven goals a game over their career, and it might've been more had his knee not been ruined.

State Vice-Captain ohtani's jacket's Avatar
    Bill Russell smokes Michael Jordan for basketball dominance. 11 NBA championships in 13 seasons.

That Bradman scoring analysis was such a crock.

Quote Originally Posted by ohtani's jacket View Post
    Bill Russell smokes Michael Jordan for basketball dominance. 11 NBA championships in 13 seasons.
    Russell was unquestionably one of the all time greats of the NBA, but that Championship record has as much to do with the strength of that Celtics team as him individually. As great as he was at an individual level, there are plenty of good judges who considered him only the second best Centre of his generation, behind Wilt Chamberlain.

Quote Originally Posted by ohtani's jacket View Post
    That Bradman scoring analysis was such a crock.
    Why?
    Member of the Twenty20 is Boring Society

Quote Originally Posted by grecian View Post
    C'mon Man U.
    RIP Craigos

Quote Originally Posted by SirBloody Idiot View Post
    In Aussie Rules, I'd say Peter Hudson. No one has come close to kicking seven goals a game over their career, and it might've been more had his knee not been ruined.
    I'm a Hawks man and so rate Hudson as highly as anyone, but to be fair his career goalkicking average in the VFL was 5.6 goals per game. The best ever, yes, but not quite 7 per match!

Cricketer Of The Year SirBloody Idiot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The Sean View Post
    I'm a Hawks man and so rate Hudson as highly as anyone, but to be fair his career goalkicking average in the VFL was 5.6 goals per game. The best ever, yes, but not quite 7 per match!
    That's his whole career (including TFL), so maybe that part shouldn't be included.

Over his career he kicked 1,874 goals in senior matches spanning the period 1963 to 1982. His impressive tally increases to 2,191 when night series and representative games are included, averaging over 7 goals a game over his entire career. Hudson was kept goalless just three times during his senior career, by Richmond's Barry Richardson in 1969, Carlton's Rod Austin in 1977 and Brucey Greenhill of TFL club Sandy Bay in 1978.

Quote Originally Posted by SirBloody Idiot View Post
    That's his whole career (including TFL), so maybe that part shouldn't be included.
    Fair enough mate - yep, his figures in the Tassie league are nothing short of phenomenal. Incredible to think what he final career tally might have been had been able to play more than three-and-a-half games from 1972 to 1976.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information