• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

2008 in Sport

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
I've ranked my favourites moments in 2008 from 5-1 so here goes:

5. The All Blacks' recovery after back to back losses against South Africa in Dunedin and Australia in Sydney. The performance against Australia at Eden Park the week after getting badly beaten in Sydney was outstanding, and then to keep South Africa scoreless in Cape Town was exceptional. Then throw in the grand slam, in which Scotland, Ireland, Wales and England failed to score a single try in 320 minutes of rugby against the ABs. A quality return to dominance after the disaster of 2007 and a less than convincing start to 2008.

4. New Zealand's golden Saturday at the Beijing Olympics. Drysdale's battle to secure a medal before collapsing due to illness, the Twins' gold medal by a shoelace, and Vili's complete domination of the shot put. Finishing the day with nearly half a dozen medals after heading into the day with zero.

3. Federer vs Nadal at Wimbledon. With the match meant to start at 1am New Zealand time, and Nadal two sets up a couple of hours later, it looked to be all over before the Monday newpapers had been packed. By 8.30am that was a different story after an absorbing match of tennis. I'd never liked Nadal before the match, and still would have preferred Federer to have won but his fighting spirit and the part he played in the greatest tennis match I've ever seen have made me appreciate his talents and acknowledge him as another champion of the game of tennis.

2. The Under 17 Women's World Cup in New Zealand and the performance of the New Zealand womens team in both the Under 17 and Under 20 tournaments, whilst hardly on the same global scale of any of my other moments, ranks as highly as number two for me. I was highly sceptical of the tournament before it started but after the first match between New Zealand and Canada had changed my tune. Somehow New Zealand lost by a goal to both Canada and Denmark after dominating both games. A 3-1 win in Columbia was a fitting way to end the tournament. The Under 20s conceeded a goal against England in the 94th minute of their final group game, which saw them knocked out - had they managed to hang on to their 1-0 lead, they would've been the first New Zealand team to qualify for the second round in a World Cup. Red cards in the second and third group games and plenty of goals made for fantastic games. And above all, it showed that soccer does have a future in New Zealand, and that as a country we'd provide excellent hosts for future tournaments.

1. Kiwis 34-20 Kangaroos. The so-called unbackable Australians beaten by New Zealand, the upset of the year for me. I still look back at some of the comments about the trophy being Australia's without a shadow of doubt, but a brilliant heart-stopping 80 minutes of rugby league - which isn't even my preferred rugby code - is all that was required to take top spot in Somerset's top moment of the 2008 sporting year.

Last edited:

Redbacks

International Captain
1) Adelaide United getting to the ACL final

2) Gold medal for Weightlifter - Matthias Steiner

3) Haile Gebrselassie breaking the Marathon world record

4) Euro without England :p

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Usain Bolt

Michael Phelps

Shivnarine Chanderpaul

Christiano Ronaldo

Rafael Nadal

masterblaster

International Captain
2008 was the year of Sachin Tendulkar for me.

Tendulkar breaks Brian Lara's world record, scores his 40th test match century and crosses 12,000 runs in test match cricket.

Sachin then scores his 41st test match century with a boundary and guides India to a famous victory over England.

99*

International Debutant
Top 5.

5- NZ at the Olympic Games
The best Olympics I've seen for NZ, some of the best moments ever to be a New Zealander, the twins winning by a nose, Adam's making the Bulgarian 'women' look like amatures and Nick Willis coming from the back to get third in the 1500m.

4- U-20 Womens World Cup
Better than the U-17 for mine, NZ looked a lot better in this, and if not for an English goal in the last minute they would have been the first to make the second round of any WC.

3- Queensland winning Origin
Again, everybody I know supports NSW and I like Queensland. Picked the result of the first game, the score, everything. Walked into school the next day, massive smile on my face. Won a few bucks on that series as well.

2- NZ beating Australia in league
Laughed and almost wrote a letter to the Sunday News when they said NZ would win. Made perfect sense after the first game when I saw that the SN has sponsered NZ for it. Had to eat my words after 80 minutes of the second best Rugby League game I've seen.

1- 18 and NO!
Watched for most of 2007 as the New England Patroits made everybody else look like College teams. Even my own San Diego Chargers couldn't stop them. The cheating pricks looked like they would go 19-0 and have the second ever 'Perfect Season' and the only team that could stop them was the New York Giants. It all followed the script until Eli Manning (who I hate) led the Giants 80ish yards to beat the evil Patriots. After all the **** from Pats fans about how great they were the tables were turned. Felt so good that day.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
5. Nick Willis' bronze
4. Valerie Vili's gold
3. The twins' gold
2. Auckland Reactor - an utter equine freak on the racetrack
1. Scott Dixon's win.

ohtani's jacket

State Vice-Captain
5. All Blacks season
4. Boston winning the NBA title
3. Wimbledon and the men's tennis season
2. New Zealand's medals at the Olympics
1. Kosuke Kitajima at the Olympics

nightprowler10

Global Moderator

Usain Bolt

Sehwag's double against SL.

Boston Celtics' Cinderella story season.

Bears beating the Packers in OT after blocking a kick. Epic.

Bulls getting number one pick against all odds and picking a gun player like Derrick Rose.

ozone

First Class Debutant
The things that have stuck in my mind, mainly becuase they are the ones which I watched at the time would be:
Usain Bolt (obvious reasons)
Lewis Hamilton (again, fairly obvious)
Andy Murray (for the match against Gasquet at Wimbledon more than anything else)
Theo Walcott (his hat-trick in Zagreb and the run in the semi-final against Liverpool which would have been hailed as the moment of the season had Liverpool not scored 60 seconds later)

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
woods with his historic u.s open win

tendulkar with his 41st century

nadal-federer after wimbledon '08

vishy anand's world championship win...how could i forget that? thanks sanz...

Last edited:

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
I saw that on Sky, awesome match.
Lucky you. I missed it due to work and forgot to record it and I live here! Had to settle for reading about it in the papers. Doesn't beat a similar blocked field goal against the Packers that happened a few years ago exactly a year after Walter Payton's death.

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
5. Mitch Johnson takes 8/61 - Was so gutted I didn't get to see it live, I was actually tearing up when I watched the highlights of his spell the next morning. Johnners, WAG

4. Fernando Torres - Completed a wonderful debut season for Liverpool, disappointed I couldn't see the vast majority of it live though. Youtube is my friend :)

3. Euro 2008 - Awesome tournament, stoked Spain won it, and that Torres scored the winning goal :)

2. 2008 V8 Supercar Championship Winner - Jamie Whincup. Whincup dominated the second half of the championship, winning 4 straight rounds, and 6 out of a possible 14 for the season.

1. Bathurst 1000 - 2008: Jamie Whincup & Craig Lowndes become just the 3rd pairing of drivers to win 3 straight bathurst 1000s.

steds

Hall of Fame Member
Three golds in a row

Three Challenge Cups in a row

Three King George VI Chase victories in a row

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
In sport in general i'd go for the performance of the British Cycling Team, Hamilton winning the F1 Title in amazing circumstances and Spain winning the Euros(since they've all been mentioned several times already i don't feel the need to post photo's)

In terms of events i attended(which sadly wasn't much this year) the best moments would probably be the Melbourne grand prix and the Aussie Open, along with beating Hawthorn at the G and doing doubles over the Bulldogs and Collingwood. And also returning to Boundary Park after a 2 year hiatus of course.