• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The CW Cup: battle of the association football teams

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Barca lead Tranmere by 8-7 in a thriller and Wellington have a more comfortable 9-6 cushion as we near half-time in our semis.

All to play for.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
still remembering that plymouth comment.......

Anyway, for the sake of the comp I think the winner is possibly better being Barca then the other three options. So it's a moral stand for the integrity of the thread.

of course if City had still been in it, I'd of felt exactly the same way, Honest guv:ph34r:

Pothas

Not sure which way to go in this one, Barca play great football and have a wonderfull history, would be a fitting winner of the competition. But as the only lower English football league team left it has to be Tranmere Rovers

Have no interest in the other one, will go for Partick Thistle

biased indian

International Coach
so its tied now..will love barca to clinch it

any way its nice to know that my fav team is the most liked among the European giants

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Ooooo. Ball-tearer. Heart-break for GIMH as Barcelona edge out his mighty whites by 10-9. Blame luffy.

Joining them in the final will be the undoubted surprise packets Wellington Phoenix, who oust Partick Thistle by 11-8.

Tranmere & Partick get a swift chance for redemption tho as they face off in the:

3rd Place Play-Off

Tranmere Rovers v Partick Thistle

Voting in the 3rd place play-off is, of course, mandatory.

Which just leaves the big one. Here's the route our finalists negotiated:

FC Barcelona

Round 1: beat Villareal 15-8
Round 2: beat Aberdeen 9-6
Round 3: beat Sporting Lisbon 9-4
Quarter-final: beat SV Werder Bremen 11-3
Semi-Final: beat Tranmere Rovers 10-9

Wellington Phoenix

Round 1: beat Mamelodi Sundowns 6-5
Round 2: beat WBA 11-7
Round 3: beat CFR Cluj 8-7
Quarter-Final: beat PSV Eindhoven 10-9
Semi-Final: beat Partick Thistle 11-8

Final

FC Barcelona v Wellington Phoenix

The choice is, as they say, yours. Voting will last 48 hours unless there's a 10-point mercy kill or we go 12 hours without a vote.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
luffy you are a ****ing ****

One Tranmere fan found the news so hard that Brewster the Bear had to console him :(

Nonetheless, onwards & upwards, we are already the most popular English side on CW :cool:

Now time to become the most popular British side on CW, Tranmere to finish 3rd

Voting Barca in the final, beaten by the champs and all that jazz

edit - and Brumby, would you have voted for the Whites?

Last edited:

HeathDavisSpeed

Haha. Wellington in the final, who'd have thought it? Narrow wins in pretty much every round, but they've certainly surprised me by getting this far.

This is an extremely though battle for me. I must be one of the only people here who's seen both play (though, as stated before, Wellington's brand of football is pretty weak)

Wellington
Partick