• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The CW Cup: battle of the association football teams

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Harland and Wolff

Arsenal - I know one is supposed to vote for the small side but no true football fan does not admire the way Arsenal play football.
I preferred the way that Arsenal played under George Graham than they do under Wenger. They seem very petulant these days...
hmm, interesting. I do enjoy the way Arsenal play, at the moment, in fact far and away my fave team to watch. Yet I've gone against them because of George Graham's team. how anyone could prefer the ole "1-0 to the Arsenal" team is a bit beyond me.

The pernicious offside trap they played, and practiced for hours each day apparently, was about as anti-football as it gets, to be honest. The 90s equivalent of Revies team in cynical win-at-all-costs football, in my opinion.

Indipper

State Regular
hmm, interesting. I do enjoy the way Arsenal play, at the moment, in fact far and away my fave team to watch. Yet I've gone against them because of George Graham's team. how anyone could prefer the ole "1-0 to the Arsenal" team is a bit beyond me.

The pernicious offside trap they played, and practiced for hours each day apparently, was about as anti-football as it gets, to be honest. The 90s equivalent of Revies team in cynical win-at-all-costs football, in my opinion.
There's more than one way to skin a cat and I don't see how it's 'cynical' or 'anti-football' to play defensive. Takes great skill to do it at a high level so how is it anti-football? Herrera's Inter, Happel's Anderlecht or Graham's Arsenal were all pretty neat teams. If you don't like watching it just say so.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
There's more than one way to skin a cat and I don't see how it's 'cynical' or 'anti-football' to play defensive. Takes great skill to do it at a high level so how is it anti-football? Herrera's Inter, Happel's Anderlecht or Graham's Arsenal were all pretty neat teams. If you don't like watching it just say so.
I don't like watching it.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
Harland - they're not City.
Doncaster - completely agree with Grecian, except I don't much like them under Wenger either, though that's more his fault than that of his sides.

Indipper

State Regular
I don't like watching it.
There, good boy. Now have a beer and write 'Ms König is always right' a hundred times in the snow.

No it isn't, it isn't true, fairly important criteria for it being great AFAIC.
If you only think true stories are great stories, uh, how do I end this diplomatically? You're entitled to your opinion, but your soul is dead.

Last edited:

BoyBrumby

Englishman

TBF, and obviously I am biased, but the great Graham teams of 89 and 91 were no more cynical than the Liverpool teams who ruled the 80s. We had the best midfield in the country at the time with Rocastle, Thomas/Richardson, Davis & Marwood/Limpar so it made no sense to by-pass them with the long thump upfield. & of course, as I often have cause to remind my Liverpool supporting chums, it was the fact that we'd scored more goals than the Scousers that won us the title in 1989.

It was only as the 90s wore on and our midfield was populated by such luminaries as Jensen, Hellier, Morrow & (FFS) Ian Selley that we began to resemble a tarted-up Wimbledon. We were essentially that defence plus Wrighty.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Doubt anyone who knows the slightest bit about Harland and Wolff would vote for them itbt. I'm going City since as much as i dislike them, one of their players is yet to throw a spanner at one of my relatives from a 8th-story window.

And Doncaster.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Two more ties draw to a close and, once again, the EPL can't live with supposedly inferior opposition as Man City exit 11-7 to Harland & Wolff Welders and Doncaster Rovers oust the Gooners 13-5. Would probably have gone for H&W as I reckon I'd be rooting for them if, by some miracle, they drew Citeh in a Wafer prelim and, obviously, would've backed The Arsenal. Hey ho.

Next up:

57. Celtic v 58. Macclesfield Town

59. Werder Breman v 60. Accrington Stanley

The Bhoys face the Macc Lads and the mighty Accies face down the might of the Bundesliga runner-up.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Macclesfield because Celtic/Rangers fans are scum and Werder Bremen because my mind can read their name in a non-Scouse accent.