• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The CW Cup: battle of the association football teams

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
I'm actually surprised United are even in the comp, can't really see the point of it. Given the number of people (both in this forum and generally on planet earth) who hold them solely responsible for everything from starting the bubonic plague to causing world poverty, I reckon they could be drawn against the Adolf Hitler Kiddy-Fiddling Nazi Allstars and still get beaten. Comfortably.
They also have the largest fan population on this forum.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Cork, I have ancestors from there.

Hmm fairly meh about the other two, will go for Spurs, as I hate non-league teams.

Last edited:

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
If I imagined it was a qualifying round game in the UEFA Cup, I'd be - just - tending towards the Eircom League boys from Cork, but not by much. Berne do have a really amusing name, of course, as well as that stadium...

Spurs irritate me in the same way that Everton irritate me. "We're a big club!" No, you're not a big club. You have a lot of supporters who are time-warped into the 1960s when you actually had a chance of winning a major trophy that more than six people give a **** about. Every time you get into the top four or the semi-final of something, or heaven forbid, win the League Cup, it's the start of a new era. It isn't. Also, stop releasing DVDs of 4-4 draws. Cheltenham may have a crap ground, crap crowds and a crap side, but at least they aren't forever dazzled by the sun shining out of their own arses.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Agree with all that about Spurs, but it's generally hilarious when it all crashes around their ears again and again and again:laugh:

Steulen

International Regular
Cork. GF lived in Cork for a while and I had some great times there, including a PB at consuming Guinnes. And Switzerland is crap anyway. Talk about wasting beautiful mountains on undeserving people.

Cheltenham. Hate Spurs ever since they gave Martin Jol the boot.

cpr

International Coach
Cork. Young Boys have never excited me.
Cheltenham, for a laugh.

Have to say to others though, Roy Keane never played for Cork, he played for Cobh Ramblers, which is about 10 miles from Cork

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Because the whole competition has been designed for arbitrary snap judgements; which is how some of the most enduring and passionate loves & hates in the beautiful game are made. Vote on the name, look at their wiki page, Google them, but just vote.

The other vote not counting unless is the incentive to avoid fence-sitters.

You've now voted for all 4 teams.... :p

Matters not tho; Ajax advance 15-4 & Brentford down the hated Franchise FC 18-1. Would've gone with the consensus; love Ajax for giving the world our Dennis and buying a place in the league is just anti the whole pyramid ethos.

Next:

27. BSC Young Boys v 28. Cork City

29. Tottenham Hotspur v 30. Cheltenham Town

The amusingly named Swiss take on Roy Keane's home town club & the pride of Gloucestershire face the team from the cheaper end of the Seven Sisters Road.
Young Boys, I think Johan Vonlanthen might have played for them.

Cheltenham, another anti EPL vote.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
How? Tottenham play in the EPL, Cheltenham don't. Can't see the issue there.
Ignore me. For some reason I thought you were voting against Cheltenham. I have no idea what happened to my brain when I made that post. Accept my apologies.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Both ties go the full 90, but I think justice has been served. Cork oust the Swiss challengers by 14-11 & Cheltenham Town heroically defeat Harry's Spurts by 15-10.

Next up:

31. Villareal v 32. Barcelona

33. Cambridge United v 34. Bari

The randomiser pits the only two Spanish teams in the draw against each other & David Platt's Gordon Cowans's & Paul Rideout's ex-Italian home come to the home of football to sample the best bacon rolls in the beautiful game.