• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** NRL 2009 Thread

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
The thing though is even when they were losing they kept a similar side. Apart from due to injuries, Super League or retirements when Queensland have ever made wholesale changes. Generally if they pick a player early they work on them rather then drop then after one poor match or even a series.

Blewy

Cricketer Of The Year
Just thinking about this how many NSW players do you reckon will make the Australian side. Reckon Monaghan will get a run on the wing. Gidley off the bench. Then a couple backrowers and a bench front rower. So potentially Gallen, Stewart, Laffranchi and Kite from the guys that played last year with Johnson back in the side and maybe Thaiday. Aussie selectors don't seem to rate Myles and Hannant yet.

So from there on what would be your City and Country sides. Actually reckon this season City and Country could be half decent if the selectors don't pick many NSW players for Australia.

Australia: Monaghan, Gidley, Gallen, G Stewart, Laffranchi, Kite

City: Coote, Hayne, Jennings, Best, Lawrence, Wallace, Pearce, O'Meley, Farah, Clinton, Minichiello, O'Donnell, Lewis, Res: Galloway, Waterhouse, Watmough, Anasta

Country: Hornby, Robertson, Cooper, Morris, Williams, Campese, Mullen, Cross, Ennis, Bailey, Tupou, Hoffman, Creagh. Res: Poore, Weyman, Mason, Campbell

Reckon I would rather be the guys that play City/Country then for Australia. Especially the forwards.
Personally i cant see O'Meley being selected ahead of Galloway especially now that Sauce was selected in the 40 man squad and Shrek wasnt..

As much as it pains me i also think John Sutton will be in the city side somewhere..

James90

Cricketer Of The Year
Awta.

I reckon NSW needs all the club sides it can get for the record. Maybe the Toyota Cup will build some players up to Origin standard and they'll win a series within the next 10 years.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Congrats to James McManus and Keith Galloway for making the top 40.

Does anyone know the idea of naming a 40 man squad by the way, seems a slight overkill especially as city and country will be naming 17 man squads that will probably balloon to 20 man teams with injuries/withdrawals/18th mans..

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Congrats to James McManus and Keith Galloway for making the top 40.

Does anyone know the idea of naming a 40 man squad by the way, seems a slight overkill especially as city and country will be naming 17 man squads that will probably balloon to 20 man teams with injuries/withdrawals/18th mans..
The same reason as naming 25 man squads for Twenty20 World Championships., advertising material. Basically means your on the 40 man shortless to appear on any SOO ads for NSW.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
The same reason as naming 25 man squads for Twenty20 World Championships., advertising material. Basically means your on the 40 man shortless to appear on any SOO ads for NSW.
It's different though, because when you name your 25 man squads in Cricket you don't have a city vs country match to decide who to pick..

Are footballers and fans in NSW really passionate about City vs Country?

I would prefer just a Coach A's 17 vs Coach B's 17 [alternative picks, like our draft thread] that way the best two players get picked rather then 3 country boys getting overlooked just because they are from the country.

Warren Smith to commentate on the Live Draft too..

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
The thing though is even when they were losing they kept a similar side. Apart from due to injuries, Super League or retirements when Queensland have ever made wholesale changes. Generally if they pick a player early they work on them rather then drop then after one poor match or even a series.
Ahh see that's where there is a difference. IMO It's pretty obvious that Hindmarsh is referring to players such as himself, ryan, mason etc. who have been tried and tested a number of times, but have failed miserably over the last 3 years.

Otherwise, I agree with what you say.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
It's different though, because when you name your 25 man squads in Cricket you don't have a city vs country match to decide who to pick..

Are footballers and fans in NSW really passionate about City vs Country?

I would prefer just a Coach A's 17 vs Coach B's 17 [alternative picks, like our draft thread] that way the best two players get picked rather then 3 country boys getting overlooked just because they are from the country.

Warren Smith to commentate on the Live Draft too..
You asked for the reason, not logic behind it. The reason it gives then 40 odd players to put in ads and stuff.

Country fans are pretty big on the City/Country. If the Australian players played it would massive match, though this we might only get a few players. So it could be big. It is a big game for the players as well. Adds a little bit more passion then Random A v Random B.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
You asked for the reason, not logic behind it. The reason it gives then 40 odd players to put in ads and stuff.

Country fans are pretty big on the City/Country. If the Australian players played it would massive match, though this we might only get a few players. So it could be big. It is a big game for the players as well. Adds a little bit more passion then Random A v Random B.
I can't believe they are playing the match on the same night as the Test. Can see the crowd being Cronulla Sharks low..

Can't see NSW having more than 7 players in the Test team, so yeah your right, there will be lots to play for in the City/Country match.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Ahh see that's where there is a difference. IMO It's pretty obvious that Hindmarsh is referring to players such as himself, ryan, mason etc. who have been tried and tested a number of times, but have failed miserably over the last 3 years.

Otherwise, I agree with what you say.
The thing is that it was the whole team that failed in the last three years, not one or two players. You would be hard pressed to find any players that truelly played to ability required over the last three seasons, or the standard required to beat that QLD side. It just the players that played in previous sides against the weaker QLD, are the ones that have been the ones cut.

But the issue not really them. It is what happens to players like Anasta and Hayne who got picked early. Struggled to an extent and then get forgotten about and we just pick another unfinished player or pure form player for short term success. What the point of picking them early, then cutting them aside before they even hit their peak.

I bet you the exact same thing will happen to Jennings, Lawrence, Wallace, Mullen and Pearce. With our selection policy unless you have 17-20 players in red hot form, you will struggle to win a series. As there no long term planning or building of teams. If QLD feel a player is up to SOO standard but is in poor form at club level, they will still pick them. NSW never will.

alternative

Cricket Web Content Updater
Broncos v Eels
Rabbitohs v Sharks
Roosters v Dragons
Storm v Warriors
Cowboys v Sea Eagles
Raiders v Bulldogs
Tigers v Knights
Panthers v Titans

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!