• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** NRL 2009 Thread

Ausage

Cricketer Of The Year
No club can fold or can relocate, whatever the NRL decides to do with expansion etc... the current 16 teams (perhaps even souths) need to be supported to ensure they survive where they are.
Would the NRL really flat out bail Parra out of this? 30 mil isn't small change. Folding might be the only option on the table.

The league shouldn't be expanded beyond 16 teams, but I don't see the problem with one of the Sydney teams moving to the Central Coast for example. Mid coast QLD has a good case as well afaik.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Would the NRL really flat out bail Parra out of this? 30 mil isn't small change. Folding might be the only option on the table.

The league shouldn't be expanded beyond 16 teams, but I don't see the problem with one of the Sydney teams moving to the Central Coast for example. Mid coast QLD has a good case as well afaik.
Yeah they would, principally because of its location. They may merge with Penrith if they had to (frankly I supported this idea years ago, it's create a bloody junior empire), but I don't know that any club would want to partner up with another one that much in debt.

Certainly don't disagree with moving though. Get Souths to the Central Coast, or better yet Canterbury. Would remove the two worst sets of fans from the Sydney metro area. Plus I despise Canterbury.

Simon

A merge between Parramatta and another club would be a good idea. I know Penrith has been suggested in the past but as far as i know they are doing ok. Also with AFL trying to get into western sydney im not sure potentially taking away half of penriths matches a year would be a great idea.
I really dont know what other club it could be though.

What I find amusing though is that if Parra and Penrith did merge they still wouldnt have a halfback.

Ausage

Cricketer Of The Year
Certainly don't disagree with moving though. Get Souths to the Central Coast, or better yet Canterbury. Would remove the two worst sets of fans from the Sydney metro area. Plus I despise Canterbury.
Heh. I've heard the argument for relocation made for just about every team in Sydney. Ends up primarily coming down to which particular team the individual dislikes the most.

My 2c is that is should be Cronulla :D

I don't know about Parra. The Juniors could be divided up between the Panthers, Tigers and Dogs surely? Any bail out from the NRL might have some nasty relocation clause in it.

Burgey

Heh. I've heard the argument for relocation made for just about every team in Sydney. Ends up primarily coming down to which particular team the individual dislikes the most.

My 2c is that is should be Cronulla :D

I don't know about Parra. The Juniors could be divided up between the Panthers, Tigers and Dogs surely? Any bail out from the NRL might have some nasty relocation clause in it.
Only thing is, League would then be surrendering the area between The Ruff and Leichardt to which ever other sport decided to fill the gap with a football team based in Parramatta. And that area is the largest population in Sydney.

That's why I don't think they'd let them die. It's not like the Easts-Souths area, which is the most ossified in the metro area. There are thousands of junior sportspeople in the western suburbs who AFL, soccer or even, heaven forbid, Union would pick up.

Simon

Out of all the NSW based clubs imo the two most important are Newcastle and Parramatta. Neither of these teams can be allowed to die. In one way or another the rest are dispensable.

Ausage

Cricketer Of The Year
Only thing is, League would then be surrendering the area between The Ruff and Leichardt to which ever other sport decided to fill the gap with a football team based in Parramatta. And that area is the largest population in Sydney.

That's why I don't think they'd let them die. It's not like the Easts-Souths area, which is the most ossified in the metro area. There are thousands of junior sportspeople in the western suburbs who AFL, soccer or even, heaven forbid, Union would pick up.
Bulldogs?

I see your point, but the junior teams wouldn't die in the area. The kids would still have somewhere to play, they'd just be fed into a different club at the end of the process. (be that Panthers, Dogs, Tigers, whomever) They might not have a local team to support, but support isn't really drawn around geographical lines in Sydney anymore anyway.

Union doesn't have a West Sydney team (and the Tah's support is extremely rocky), and the AFL expansion will have huge problems getting into that market. I reckon Soccer will end up with a West Sydney team but is less of a competitor due to the fact it's a summer sport, not to mention the mediocre standard of the A-League in general. Would be a free kick to those codes though (major upheaval in any Sydney team would be though), and Parra would be way down the list of preferred options for relocation, but if they're in that much trouble....

Burgey

The league would not and should not let any more junior teams fall under the nefarious influence of the Bulldogs. If any club had to be turfed from the NRL, it ought to be them. They epitomise everything diabolical in modern professional sport:

1. The "it's not our fault, we're bing picked on" mentality.
2. A "win at all costs" attitude that manifests itself in systematic cheating of the salary cap, then bleating they've been picked on when caught, despite the league letting them keep the squad together to win a comp 2 years later.
3. Crowd violence, sadly sometimes racially based.
4. An appalling attitude towards women, manifesting itself in the Coffs dramas (not that there were criminal charges, but still a bad look) and the players running past female reporters on their way out to training and calling them "sluts"
5. Fans, players and club cultivating a myth about themselves that they have this wonderful "winning culture", when they've won 2 (two!!) comps in 20 years, one of those in 04 with aforementioned squad put together by cheating.
6. Involvement in corruption (cf the Liverpool project that was at the heart of the salary cap rorts).
7. Cultivating sponsors in direct competition to the chief sponsor of the code (though in these times I don't hold that against them so much).

That club is a blight on the game, and I'd love to see it lanced like the pus-headed growth it is.

Ausage

Cricketer Of The Year
The league would not and should not let any more junior teams fall under the nefarious influence of the Bulldogs.

That club is a blight on the game, and I'd love to see it lanced like the pus-headed growth it is.
Completely agree with you re the salary cap rorts (and the sooking that went with it). Totally disgusting, undermined the game and if there was ever a time to replace them with the CC Bears that would have been it.

BUT the rest are common problems around the league. I've heard of racist taunts at the Sharks ground in particular, along with the damaging of cars with opponents bumper stickers. Lets not forget the Civinocieva incident at Parra last year. There've been fights at CUA a few times that I've been there. I'm sure that stuff goes on at other grounds as well, although it does seem to be more prevalent at Dogs games. But then, racism is rarely a one way street, who knows how these incidents have started?

Dogs fans have a bad rep, but obviously they're not all bad (sat with some very nice supporters at the game at CUA in rd 2 this year). There are scum amongst their followers but somehow I think those people would be following another team within a few years if the Dogs were turfed anyway.

Player behavior is a problem at every club and has been for a while. Look at the Panthers this week. Do we ostracize Manly for continuing to play Brett Stewart? How about Canberra for sticking with Carney for so long? Newcastle for ignoring Joey's habits? How about the Broncos for sticking by Hunt, Thaiday and Hodges?

Blewy

Cricketer Of The Year
An interesting call on Sydney Radio this afternoon has me thinking where people put Origin...

The question was asked what would you prefer??

Your club team to win the premiership this year however your Origin side would have to lose the next 3 series? Or your Origin side to win this years series and your club side not win for 3 years??

For me it was a no brainer, I would much prefer my club side to win the comp any day of the week, and would have no hesitation in choosing that option anytime..

What would yours be???

99*

International Debutant
Newcastle winning for sure. Can go without Queensland winning for a while, now that I don't have any wagers on it anymore.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Don't think we will win another SOO for 10 seasons. So would take Orgin personally. Though I would have said club before last season.

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Tipping Ladder:
  1. NUFAN 32.02
  2. MrWright 32.01
  3. Blewy 29.01
  4. Clapo 28.01
  5. Tozzer 28.01
  6. Brumby 27.01
  7. Craig 27.01
  8. ripper888 27
  9. 99* 26.02
  10. DCYE 26.01
  11. chaminda_00 26.01
  12. luffy 26.01
  13. Simon 26
  14. vic_orthdox 26
  15. Prince EWS 26
  16. James90 25.01
  17. Burgey 25
  18. Ausage 25
  19. Pinchy 24
  20. King Damo 24

Caps off 2 pretty good weeks tipping wise. Round 5 saw no less than 8 people nail 7/8, and no-one went below 5. Then in rounds 6 there were just 3 people under 5, and the top score was 7 from *99.

Apologies for the delays in getting this up, the last 2 weeks have been hectic work/uni/life combined with the fact that I was building a new pc.

Round 7 Fixtures:
Broncos v Eels
Rabbitohs v Sharks
Roosters v Dragons
Storm v Warriors
Cowboys v Sea Eagles
Raiders v Bulldogs
Tigers v Knights
Panthers v Titans

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
Broncos v Eels