• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** NRL 2009 Thread

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
That video ref decision to give Farah that try is honestly one of the worst calls I have ever seen. Benji clearly passed that ball with his left hand while it was touching the ground with a man on top of him. Like to know where the doubt is anywhere.

Burgey

That video ref decision to give Farah that try is honestly one of the worst calls I have ever seen. Benji clearly passed that ball with his left hand while it was touching the ground with a man on top of him. Like to know where the doubt is anywhere.
Just came on here to post exactly that. Of the 3,429 bad video ref calls this year, imo that was the worst by some margin, because it was just so obvious.

Simon

How can they get it so wrong so often? It's like the Bulldogs one(s) everyone you talk to agrees they get it wrong but it just keeps happening. Are they trying to be controversial?

Burgey

How can they get it so wrong so often? It's like the Bulldogs one(s) everyone you talk to agrees they get it wrong but it just keeps happening. Are they trying to be controversial?
The Farrar held up would have been a far more justifiable BOTD than the one they gave.

Will be an injustice if Tiges get home on the back of that call.
Petero immense for Penrith tonight.

Ausage

Cricketer Of The Year
Petero immense for Penrith tonight.
He was off most of first half. He helps us so much just being there though. Such a legend. Reckon Waterhouse and Walsh were our best. Props to Matty Bell too. He's not a not a household name, but I thought he stepped up tonight when Petero went off.

Pretty comfortable in the end, but we have to play better than that if we want to take the top teams. Happy with our defense in the second half, with only a dodgy try being given against us.

Lewis out for a month which should make the selectors jobs a bit easier. Sucks for us though :(

Trumpers_Ghost

U19 Cricketer
Melbourne 48-4 Brisbane

:boxed:

Gee Brett Finch knows how to kill a good move doesn't he?
Gee I thought Finch was alright, the quick catch and pass to Inglis for Tomane's hatrick was a gem!

After watching tonight, I couldn't help but be impressed with Tomane. It wasn't just the finishes, but he was strong every time he got the ball. I know he's just 19 and hasn't played alot of NRL, but could he be a smokey for to replace Hodges in SOO II (pretty sure he's a queenslander). 24 points is probably a storm record too.

Couple of more things:

Wallace :laugh:

Inglis: even better than Wednesday; just pure magic. Last year after a big origin game he finished the weeek with a hatrick against the cowboys, tonight was a similar back-up (dickhead me benched him from my supercoach team cause I thought he wouldn't play; doh)

*note: I said earlier in the year that the biggest loss for the team was not Falau but the combination of J.Smith, Crocker and Kafausi leaving plus Manu and White missing the first 10 weeks or so. With those two back we may not have as good a pack as last year, but at full strength tonight they were sizzling. Tolman is a real good rookie and Blair this year has gone from a good promising big kid to a genuine star. Melbourne's forwards dominated tonight and as such Broncos backs hardly got to see the ball.
Also did anyone else notice when (can't remember the name of the broncos forward, my bad) put on the most masssive hit on Sika Manu in the first half, the commentators raved about it for ages (fair enough I loved it too) but not once praised Manu for actually not loosing the ball; which lead to a try. I've never seen a player take a hit like that and not loose the ball. Channel 9 comm's are truly ****.

Happy night for me (even if I had to wait till 2.15 to see the end of the game).

cheers

Ausage

Cricketer Of The Year
Guy was playing his second game in 3 days. He looked exhausted as did alot of the Broncos SOO contingent. To their credit the Storm reps looked like they had more energy, but IMO that's a good example of why SOO should be played on a weekend without a canceled round.

Though Henjak having a cry about having to pay Hodges wages was pretty funny. Booo hooo our team is so good it gets picked for Origin and injuries happen there. It's not fair, it's not fair. Cry me a river.

luffy

International Captain
For the rest of the round:

Sea Eagles vs. Roosters
Cowboys vs. Rabbitohs
Sharks vs. Warriors
Knights vs. Eels
Titans vs. Dragons

Trumpers_Ghost

U19 Cricketer
Guy was playing his second game in 3 days. He looked exhausted as did alot of the Broncos SOO contingent. To their credit the Storm reps looked like they had more energy, but IMO that's a good example of why SOO should be played on a weekend without a canceled round.

Though Henjak having a cry about having to pay Hodges wages was pretty funny. Booo hooo our team is so good it gets picked for Origin and injuries happen there. It's not fair, it's not fair. Cry me a river.
Yeah the storm forwards certainly looked fresher, and having their star big men as NZ reps certainly helps the storm at origin time. Being able to start the only two origin forwards on the bench was a huge bonus.

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend

As much as I don't feel sorry for Brisbane about it, it isn't fair really. Losing players mid-season in a non-NRL fixture is extremely unfair. Especially when the players are being rewarded (so to speak) for excellence. Have said it before, but teams being punished for having representative quality players is quite simply wrong.

Ausage

Cricketer Of The Year
As much as I don't feel sorry for Brisbane about it, it isn't fair really. Losing players mid-season in a non-NRL fixture is extremely unfair. Especially when the players are being rewarded (so to speak) for excellence. Have said it before, but teams being punished for having representative quality players is quite simply wrong.
I get the argument, but they are given a massive advantage. They get to play most of the season with the best players in their team. The Eels and Sharks would be killing for a problem like that right now.

Not to mention injuries happen to every team. Don't think where the injury happens is of that much relevance tbh. Who was that Storm forward a couple of years back who was out for the season after slipping on one of his kids toys? That's the risk you run when you have players like Hodges and Lockyear who take up so much of your cap.

Can understand the argument about players having to back up two days after Origin. That's just ridiculous, especially for teams like the Broncos and Storm. THAT'S not fair.

Craig

World Traveller
Gee I thought Finch was alright, the quick catch and pass to Inglis for Tomane's hatrick was a gem!

After watching tonight, I couldn't help but be impressed with Tomane. It wasn't just the finishes, but he was strong every time he got the ball. I know he's just 19 and hasn't played alot of NRL, but could he be a smokey for to replace Hodges in SOO II (pretty sure he's a queenslander). 24 points is probably a storm record too.

Couple of more things:

Wallace :laugh:

Inglis: even better than Wednesday; just pure magic. Last year after a big origin game he finished the weeek with a hatrick against the cowboys, tonight was a similar back-up (dickhead me benched him from my supercoach team cause I thought he wouldn't play; doh)

*note: I said earlier in the year that the biggest loss for the team was not Falau but the combination of J.Smith, Crocker and Kafausi leaving plus Manu and White missing the first 10 weeks or so. With those two back we may not have as good a pack as last year, but at full strength tonight they were sizzling. Tolman is a real good rookie and Blair this year has gone from a good promising big kid to a genuine star. Melbourne's forwards dominated tonight and as such Broncos backs hardly got to see the ball.
Also did anyone else notice when (can't remember the name of the broncos forward, my bad) put on the most masssive hit on Sika Manu in the first half, the commentators raved about it for ages (fair enough I loved it too) but not once praised Manu for actually not loosing the ball; which lead to a try. I've never seen a player take a hit like that and not loose the ball. Channel 9 comm's are truly ****.

Happy night for me (even if I had to wait till 2.15 to see the end of the game).

cheers
Lagi Setu IIRC.

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I get the argument, but they are given a massive advantage. They get to play most of the season with the best players in their team. The Eels and Sharks would be killing for a problem like that right now.

Not to mention injuries happen to every team. Don't think where the injury happens is of that much relevance tbh. Who was that Storm forward a couple of years back who was out for the season after slipping on one of his kids toys? That's the risk you run when you have players like Hodges and Lockyear who take up so much of your cap.

Can understand the argument about players having to back up two days after Origin. That's just ridiculous, especially for teams like the Broncos and Storm. THAT'S not fair.
It's not the Broncos/Storm fault that the Eels and Sharks are so ****. Losing players for NRL fixtures as a direct result of those players participating in representative football is unfair. Obviously there is an element of bad-luck involved if it's an injury, but I still think the clubs are unfairly disadvantaged through-out origin by having to play without their best players.

Trumpers_Ghost

U19 Cricketer
Yeah it was rediculous the side that Melb had to put out during origin last year, which was compounded by loosing players that shouldn't have been picked for origin. At least this year there is no danger of loosing Hoffman, White, Turner or Quinn! :)