• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

what's your favourite sporting moment??

TORY

Cricket Spectator
What's your favorite sporting moment? Australian or world wide.

I have 3 favorite sporting moments, its either the Ashes win in Adelaide (06-07), Roger Federer's 5th wimbledon in a row and the Socceroos victory against Uruguay 2006 WCQ.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Still this:

I think there has been a similar thread before, 'cos I remember giving the same answer. Anyway, this needs a little scene-setting. It was the last game of the 1988/89 Division One (as the English top flight was called before the Premiership came along) season. Arsenal, who had lead for most of the season & looked like bringing home the title for the first time since 1970/71 had run into some iffy form & Liverpool (reigning champions & winners of six titles in the 80s alone) were in imperious form, surfing a wave of public sympathy following the Hillsborough disaster.

Arsenal finished their home season with a 2-2 draw against Wimbledon, leaving them three points behind Liverpool with an inferior goal difference & this one final match at Anfield, an absolute fortress & a place were we hadn't won since 1973. It meant we had to go threre & win by two clear goals to give us the title. Alan "Smudger" Smith had given us the lead early in the second half with a glancing header, but despite playing Liverpool off the park, we couldn't find that second. Until....

the last minute of the match.

You couldn't make it up. :)

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Wow, that is epic Brumby. Great sporting story.
Yeah, almost too beautiful, really; I reckon if a writer turned in a script with that denouement it'd be rejected as too improbable! Still gets the hairs on the back of my neck standing up now.

Short of England beating Argentina on penalties to win the world cup I can't imagine it being topped.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Couple of questions.

A) Did you watch it live?
B) Why on penalties?
a) Yes, albeit through my fingers for a lot of it. I remember it as a high point now, but it was agony, really. Thought I was going to see us win at Anfield for the first time in my life only to be denied by goal difference, so the release after Mickey Thomas's goal was almost ***ual. After the initial ecstasy it took a few days to sink in tho. Just felt unreal.

b) Because I'd want to beat them in the jammiest, most undeserving way possible. Beckham's penalty that Owen "earned" in 2002 was just the start. :cool:

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
a) Yes, albeit through my fingers for a lot of it. I remember it as a high point now, but it was agony, really. Thought I was going to see us win at Anfield for the first time in my life only to be denied by goal difference, so the release after Mickey Thomas's goal was almost ***ual. After the initial ecstasy it took a few days to sink in tho. Just felt unreal.

b) Because I'd want to beat them in the jammiest, most undeserving way possible. Beckham's penalty that Owen "earned" in 2002 was just the start. :cool:

Almost cried at this point in the book tbh. Despite knowing it was going to happen.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire

Interesting, in the other thread, I picked the semis of the League Cup in 2000, where we beat the filth to get to Wembley. As an overall outcome, yeah, I'll stand by that, but the following two for the actual feeling the goals in question brought in me, undescribable

Ned Kelly equalises for the Whites @ Wembley

The greatest FA Cup comeback of all-time, word

BTW, in the second clip the magical moment itself is around the 4:50 mark. We were bottom of the league (the Championship, though it wasn't called that then), SOuthampton were safely middling in the Prem. It was 3-0 at half-time. The winners got Liverpool at home in the quarters.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Ali's 3rd heavyweight title win v Spinks 1978 (even though he was well past it), Makybe Diva's 3rd Melbourne Cup and Steve Waugh's hundred v the Poms in Sydney are up there for me.

cpr

International Coach
I think i marginally preferred Ryan Giggs from the same year. Not 100% sure why.

I also have an oddly massive affection for Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink's winner against Arsenal in the season's penultimate league game.

Giggs' goal is certainly one of the most beautiful i've ever seen, when Ryan finally hangs up his boots, we need a huge screen in the middle of the pitch playing that for all the fans to see, just to remember him by.

Ole's though, what it achieved, what it meant for United, and in what a way to do it. Still remember jumping round screaming my head off when it went in.

Although I celebrated last years win in far more style (thats the difference between being 15 and 24, about 10 pints), that one still sticks with me (as does Clayton Blackmores 91st min goal-line clearance against Barca in '92)