Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: what's your favourite sporting moment??

Cricket Spectator

what's your favourite sporting moment??

What's your favorite sporting moment? Australian or world wide.

I have 3 favorite sporting moments, its either the Ashes win in Adelaide (06-07), Roger Federer's 5th wimbledon in a row and the Socceroos victory against Uruguay 2006 WCQ.

cpr
    "All are lunatics, but he who can analyze his delusions is called a philosopher." - Ambrose Bierce
    Langeveldt: I of course blame their parents.. and unchecked immigration!
    GingerFurball: He's Austrian, they tend to produce the odd ****ed up individual
    Burgey: Be careful dealing with neighbours whose cars don't have wheels but whose houses do.
    Uppercut: Maybe I just need better strippers

Locked up inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    Still this:

Quote Originally Posted by me in the "Your all time favourite sporting moments and why" thread View Post
    I think there has been a similar thread before, 'cos I remember giving the same answer. Anyway, this needs a little scene-setting. It was the last game of the 1988/89 Division One (as the English top flight was called before the Premiership came along) season. Arsenal, who had lead for most of the season & looked like bringing home the title for the first time since 1970/71 had run into some iffy form & Liverpool (reigning champions & winners of six titles in the 80s alone) were in imperious form, surfing a wave of public sympathy following the Hillsborough disaster.

Arsenal finished their home season with a 2-2 draw against Wimbledon, leaving them three points behind Liverpool with an inferior goal difference & this one final match at Anfield, an absolute fortress & a place were we hadn't won since 1973. It meant we had to go threre & win by two clear goals to give us the title. Alan "Smudger" Smith had given us the lead early in the second half with a glancing header, but despite playing Liverpool off the park, we couldn't find that second. Until....

the last minute of the match.

You couldn't make it up.
    Cricket Web's 2013/14 Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"I don't believe a word of Pietersen's book, but then I don't believe a word anyone else has said either."
    - Simon Barnes renders further comment on KP's autobiography superfluous in a sentence

Wow, that is epic Brumby. Great sporting story.
    "I am very happy and it will allow me to have lot more rice."

Eoin Morgan on being given a rice cooker for being Man of the Match in a Dhaka Premier Division game.

Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity

Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Wow, that is epic Brumby. Great sporting story.
    Yeah, almost too beautiful, really; I reckon if a writer turned in a script with that denouement it'd be rejected as too improbable! Still gets the hairs on the back of my neck standing up now.

Short of England beating Argentina on penalties to win the world cup I can't imagine it being topped.

Couple of questions.

A) Did you watch it live?
    B) Why on penalties?

International Coach
    Yep, same as cpr, 99 for me by miles, no-one will ever win it more dramatically than that.
    MSN - tomhalsey123@hotmail.com

Manchester United FC: 20 Times

R.I.P. Sledger's Signature, 2004-2008

Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Couple of questions.

A) Did you watch it live?
    B) Why on penalties?
    a) Yes, albeit through my fingers for a lot of it. I remember it as a high point now, but it was agony, really. Thought I was going to see us win at Anfield for the first time in my life only to be denied by goal difference, so the release after Mickey Thomas's goal was almost sexual. After the initial ecstasy it took a few days to sink in tho. Just felt unreal.

b) Because I'd want to beat them in the jammiest, most undeserving way possible. Beckham's penalty that Owen "earned" in 2002 was just the start.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby View Post
    a) Yes, albeit through my fingers for a lot of it. I remember it as a high point now, but it was agony, really. Thought I was going to see us win at Anfield for the first time in my life only to be denied by goal difference, so the release after Mickey Thomas's goal was almost sexual. After the initial ecstasy it took a few days to sink in tho. Just felt unreal.

b) Because I'd want to beat them in the jammiest, most undeserving way possible. Beckham's penalty that Owen "earned" in 2002 was just the start.

Almost cried at this point in the book tbh. Despite knowing it was going to happen.
    Quote Originally Posted by zaremba View Post
    The Filth have comfortably the better bowling. But the Gash have the batting. Might be quite good to watch.

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GeraintIsMyHero View Post
    Interesting, in the other thread, I picked the semis of the League Cup in 2000, where we beat the filth to get to Wembley. As an overall outcome, yeah, I'll stand by that, but the following two for the actual feeling the goals in question brought in me, undescribable

Ned Kelly equalises for the Whites @ Wembley

The greatest FA Cup comeback of all-time, word

BTW, in the second clip the magical moment itself is around the 4:50 mark. We were bottom of the league (the Championship, though it wasn't called that then), SOuthampton were safely middling in the Prem. It was 3-0 at half-time. The winners got Liverpool at home in the quarters.
    Quote Originally Posted by DingDong View Post
    gimh has now surpassed richard as the greatest cw member ever imo

RIP Craigos. A true CW legend. You will be missed.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Quote Originally Posted by cpr View Post
    I think i marginally preferred Ryan Giggs from the same year. Not 100% sure why.

I also have an oddly massive affection for Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink's winner against Arsenal in the season's penultimate league game.

Pinball Champion!

beforehand, it would have been Allan Donald's trapping Shayne O'Connor LBW to get his 300th test wicket
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    Don't like using my iPod dock. Ruins battery life too much.
    Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post
    Thanks Dick Smith. Will remember to subscribe to your newsletter for more electronic fun facts.

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Ali's 3rd heavyweight title win v Spinks 1978 (even though he was well past it), Makybe Diva's 3rd Melbourne Cup and Steve Waugh's hundred v the Poms in Sydney are up there for me.
    WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie
    "People make me happy.. not places.. people"

"When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life." - Samuel Johnson

"Hope is the fuel of progress and fear is the prison in which you put yourself" - Tony Benn

cpr
    Quote Originally Posted by Uppercut View Post
    I think i marginally preferred Ryan Giggs from the same year. Not 100% sure why.

I also have an oddly massive affection for Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink's winner against Arsenal in the season's penultimate league game.

Giggs' goal is certainly one of the most beautiful i've ever seen, when Ryan finally hangs up his boots, we need a huge screen in the middle of the pitch playing that for all the fans to see, just to remember him by.

Ole's though, what it achieved, what it meant for United, and in what a way to do it. Still remember jumping round screaming my head off when it went in.

Although I celebrated last years win in far more style (thats the difference between being 15 and 24, about 10 pints), that one still sticks with me (as does Clayton Blackmores 91st min goal-line clearance against Barca in '92)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information