• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

You know what really grinds my sporting gears?

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Goalkeepers being beaten by free kicks on the side of the goal they're supposed to be protecting

Shouldn't happen.

Redbacks

International Captain
Having watch alot of sports with salary caps in Aus, It ****s me to tears that football clubs in Europe go on about success when it's bascially all about money these days. Any lower ranked club gets raided before they can become successful.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Having watch alot of sports with salary caps in Aus, It ****s me to tears that football clubs in Europe go on about success when it's bascially all about money these days. Any lower ranked club gets raided before they can become successful.
Er, money causes success, it doesn't mean it's all about money. You think Smitteh feels good watching Citeh get beat safe in the knowledge they've got more money than who beats them?

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Haha don't bother. I've tried fighting this fight on here.

Wilfull blindness imo.

Giving an example of a richer club not doing as well as a poorer one doesn't falter the argument tbh. You can't deny the evidence is there, that the same clubs keep winning.

But nah, apparently its fun seeing Man U, Chelsea, Arsenal and Liverpool battle it out every year.

Last edited:

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
It was great to hear that in State of Origin game 2 all 16 NRL clubs had at least 1 player from each club. I like the salary cap, just wish it was a bit higher.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend

Wilfull blindness imo.

Giving an example of a richer club not doing as well as a poorer one doesn't falter the argument tbh. You can't deny the evidence is there, that the same clubs keep winning.

But nah, apparently its fun seeing Man U, Chelsea, Arsenal and Liverpool battle it out every year.
Nobody actually likes the same 4 doing well, but as has been said many times before, there are multiple other leagues who would just poach all the best players, if the Premier League would put a cap on. It's utterly unworkable. How you organise across Europe would be fun too, with various employment laws for different countries, one country would find a loophole and end up having all the good players.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire

Wilfull blindness imo.

The fact is that the Premier League is not the be-all end-all. Championship was attended by more people than any other league in Europe aside from the Prem, La Liga & Bundesliga, and the FL as a whole watched by more people than the Prem (in the grounds). It's really annoying to see people ridicule the English football pyramid when there is so much more to it than the 'big four'.

Redbacks

International Captain
Nobody actually likes the same 4 doing well, but as has been said many times before, there are multiple other leagues who would just poach all the best players.
If you supported a mid-table team would you really care if the teams top got weaker by not signing johnny foreigner? Or have all the fans become so desensitised that they accept mediocrity as an inevitability?

The current scenario seems fine, England never have to produce any local talent and just let the top few with natural talent make it, who then struggle at international level because they didn't get the proper development as with European youngsters.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
You've done nothing though. Every time you bring it up you're just like "hey, salary cap in prem league" which would destroy football in England.
No I don't. As usual, you're sprouting crap and mocking someone's post. I've made countless posts on the issue which POINT OUT THE PROBLEM. I've made many points about how other sports leagues are superior in competitiveness and don't have such a **** situation.
Nobody actually likes the same 4 doing well, but as has been said many times before, there are multiple other leagues who would just poach all the best players, if the Premier League would put a cap on. It's utterly unworkable. How you organise across Europe would be fun too, with various employment laws for different countries, one country would find a loophole and end up having all the good players.
Never said that the salary cap is the only solution. If it can't be applied, well that sucks, but it takes away from the league. Its when this is denied, and people claim its still the best league in world sport, then its frankly irritating.

Its making a great sport predictable.
The fact is that the Premier League is not the be-all end-all. Championship was attended by more people than any other league in Europe aside from the Prem, La Liga & Bundesliga, and the FL as a whole watched by more people than the Prem (in the grounds). It's really annoying to see people ridicule the English football pyramid when there is so much more to it than the 'big four'.
So what is your point in general though? You're just ignoring the point, that the same teams win the premier league every year, and rebutting with "oh but the other leagues are popular too."

Why deny the situation? You just refuse to acknowledge that there is an issue. That's why its ridiculous.

I'd feel pretty comfortable putting money on the line that a team outside of the big 4 will not win the league in the next 3 years. You just can't do that with most popular leagues in world sport. Teams have dynasties, and then someone else comes up.

What is frustrating is the failure to acknowledge the problem.

Last edited:

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
If you supported a mid-table team would you really care if the teams top got weaker by not signing johnny foreigner? Or have all the fans become so desensitised that they accept mediocrity as an inevitability?

The current scenario seems fine, England never have to produce any local talent and just let the top few with natural talent make it, who then struggle at international level because they didn't get the proper development as with European youngsters.
Utter tosh, tbh. The weakest national team I have ever seen was between 91 and 94, when the top league was dinstinctly average and a foreigner was relatively rare.

Any English player who is good enough to play top-class international football will make it in the Prem, fact.

Redbacks

International Captain
Foriegn owners, billions of dollars of debt, ridiculous inflation of transfer fees, stealing the best youth from brazil before they sign a pro contract, which will ultimately hurt these sides that pay their bills via transfer fees, hardly much to ridicule...but it's cyclical, Serie A had a crack and the owners went broke, now the EPL has got in big business (and the Spanish government will fund Real :ph34r:)

Last edited:

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
No I don't. As usual, you're sprouting crap. I've made many points about how other sports leagues are better because they don't have such a **** situation.

Never said that the salary cap is the only solution. If it can't be applied, well that sucks, but it takes away from the league.

So what is your point in general though? You're just ignoring the point, that the same teams win the premier league every year, and rebutting with "oh but the other leagues are popular too."

Why deny the situation? You just refuse to acknowledge that there is an issue. That's why its ridiculous.
As has been said, yeah it gets boring to see the same teams in the top four, but the big four has only emerged in the last four years, and the teams within it will change in the future. I'd imagine Arsenal have spent less than Man Citeh in recent times, hell Tottenham spent a ****load, money doesn't guarantee top four success you know.

And when the Prem wasn't a big money league, when it was the old first, there have always been years and years of repetition where the same teams have been successful. Checked out the 70s and 80s? Jesus, I've heard about nothing else from my old man.

I don't think it's an issue, because I don't agree with systems such as franchising, salary caps or drafts. The best squads win the trophies. Three of the big four have earned their place in there through success over 100 years and therefore large worldwide fanbases have funded them. There is only Chelsea whose success has been somewhat artificial, yet it seems to be a misconception that all teams who win the Prem are like them.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend

No, as GIMH says, I support a lower-league club so just watch the Prem for entertainment. Johnny foreigner, is just mindless bigotry, I'm really not sure how to answer that.

The better players English players play with, hopefully will mean that the English players can improve, rather then the bunch of drunken, badly-behaved tosspots many of them are.

The culture of football clubs in England was nothing short of a disgrace before Johnny foreigner came along, IMHO.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
As has been said, yeah it gets boring to see the same teams in the top four, but the big four has only emerged in the last four years, and the teams within it will change in the future
What are the teams that have won and come 2nd in the last decade?
Three of the big four have earned their place in there through success over 100 years and therefore large worldwide fanbases have funded them.
And now its a never-ending circle, as those clubs continuously earn the money because of their fan-base.

Redbacks

International Captain
It seems odd that France/Netherlands/Germany/Italy/Spain the thoery seems to be the player is built from the bottom up like a house:

8-12 - technical skills - feet
13-15 - physiological attributes - body
16-18 - teach them how to play - football brain

and don't consider needing players from other countries to help improve their own game, seems more like marketing spin of the top 4 to silence the critics.

England are nearly always a top team, but the little 1%'ers seem to build up and always cost them in big games.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
The big four, obv.
Have a look at before the Prem was in existance. The 80s, Liverpool, Everton, Arsenal.

It's the way competitions go in a marketplace like ours.

And yes, they earn money because of their fanbase. So what? How would you like them to earn it?