Cricket Player Manager
Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: You know what really grinds my sporting gears?

International Captain masterblaster's Avatar
    Netblazer3D Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    The Premier League is really made of four teams. The whole thing is a shambles.
    Considering that Blackburn have been the only other team to win the English Premier League in recent times, I'd say you are right.
    Self Elected Vice-President of AAAS
    (Ajit Agarkar Appreciation Society)

"Uniting Ajit Agarkar Fans World Wide"

Always Live Life With: Intensity, Integrity and Intelligence

Quote Originally Posted by Clapo View Post
    Nah
    Haven't seen too many Wigan jerseys on the back of people outside the UK tbh.
    "I am very happy and it will allow me to have lot more rice."

Eoin Morgan on being given a rice cooker for being Man of the Match in a Dhaka Premier Division game.

It's the same for just about any sporting league thats world renowned though.
    Mitch Johnson is ****ing awesome for cricket.
    Quote Originally Posted by pasag View Post
    Ponting's ability to ton up in the first innings of a series should not be understated. So much pressure, so important. What a great!

Quote Originally Posted by masterblaster View Post
    Considering that Blackburn have been the only other team to win the English Premier League in recent times, I'd say you are right.
    TBF when Blackburn won the title the "big 4" hadn't really crystallised yet. In the early days other teams used to finish in the top four fairly regularly. When ManUre won the first EPL in 1992/3 their main rivals were Villa & Norwich City (!!) were leading at Xmas and ultimately finished third. It wasn't really until 97/98 when the big 4 started to dominate proceedings.
    Cricket Web's 2013/14 Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"I don't believe a word of Pietersen's book, but then I don't believe a word anyone else has said either."
    - Simon Barnes renders further comment on KP's autobiography superfluous in a sentence

still scratching around in the same old hole
    The Premier League is really made of four teams. The whole thing is a shambles.
    Yeah. The Prem and football, in general, both bother me.

I was born and raised on football, my first shoes were boots, my old man was an ex-(low level) pro, my old man worked at a League club when I grew up and I played on the club's pitch everyday, it was the first sport I coached for a living and I was not a bad player during my prime (built like Heskey, speed like Owen, guile of Le Tis, mental strength of Marco Boogers, injury proneness of Anderton, tackling ability of Paul Scholes and temprament of Bellamy. )

However, now I dont watch the sport unless Im in the pub having a beer and dont even check the results after a weekend.

Despite the quality of play improving, I just have no interest. I dont like the way the game is played, I dont relate to the players, I dont 'get' the culture and I hate talking football as 99% of football fans know **** all about the game.

I keep my head down and ignore it unless Im playing (which I do 3-4 times a week) or coaching.

Football is a massive part of who I am but I dont care for it any more. Like divorcing someone you gave the best 20 years of your life to.
    Last edited by Goughy; 25-11-2008 at 06:07 AM.
    If I only just posted the above post, please wait 5 mins before replying as there is bound to be edits

West Robham Rabid Wolves Caedere lemma quod eat lemma

Happy Birthday! (easier than using Birthday threads)

Email and MSN- Goughy at cricketmail dot net

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Haven't seen too many Wigan jerseys on the back of people outside the UK tbh.
    Don't really see that that has any relevance whatsoever tbh. Wigan are the worst supported club in the Prem, because they are a traditionally small club (smaller even than my mighty whites) but all clubs in the Prem get good attendances, games are usually sold out, and games like Sunderland V Fulham attract a lot of viewers on a Sunday afternoon. It might only be the big four that get followed overseas, but that's kind of natural. In England, there are 92 full-time professional clubs (well probably a few more actually as most conference clubs seem to be these days). Even the smallest of these clubs would generally get 2,000 people to a game, sure that's a relatively low figure, but the amount of people who watch non-top four clubs in England far outnumbers those who do.
    Phil Hughes 1988-2014

RIP Craigos. A true CW legend. You will be missed.

Quote Originally Posted by GeraintIsMyHero View Post
    Don't really see that that has any relevance whatsoever tbh. Wigan are the worst supported club in the Prem, because they are a traditionally small club (smaller even than my mighty whites) but all clubs in the Prem get good attendances, games are usually sold out, and games like Sunderland V Fulham attract a lot of viewers on a Sunday afternoon. It might only be the big four that get followed overseas, but that's kind of natural. In England, there are 92 full-time professional clubs (well probably a few more actually as most conference clubs seem to be these days). Even the smallest of these clubs would generally get 2,000 people to a game, sure that's a relatively low figure, but the amount of people who watch non-top four clubs in England far outnumbers those who do.
    I deadset chose Wigan at random, and had no idea they were the smallest club.

I'll replace them with Ipswich. Actually, let's go with Hull or Portsmouth.

And you're missing the point. Its not about how many people in England watch, because there is a huge support base for their own clubs. That's great.

I've argued about this countless times on these boards and EPL and soccer fans in general get amazingly defensive about this. Let me ask, what are the chances of Portsmouth winning the EPL in the next decade?

The ads on ESPN-Star (in Asia) for the EPL actually only have the "big four" club logos on the ad, and consists of four guys (one of them a famous Bollywood actor) kicking the ball around, each wearing one of the big four's jerseys.

EDIT: Just found the ad here.

That ad signifies everything wrong with the EPL.

Its ****. Equalise the league FFS. And this goes for the Spanish and Italian leagues too. Because I understand that if one league has a salary cap all the money hungry gun players will go to other leagues. Hence... its a shambles.

Enjoy one of Chelsea, Liverpool, Arsenal or Man U winning the league in 2008/09. I'm sure it'll be great when one of them win it in 2009/10 as well.
    Last edited by Jono; 25-11-2008 at 06:06 AM.

Pinball Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Goughy View Post
    Yeah. The Prem and football, in general, both bother me.

I was born and raised on football, my first shoes were boots, my old man was an ex-(low level) pro, my old man worked at a League club when I grew up and I played on the club's pitch everyday, it was the first sport I coached for a living and I was not a bad player during my prime (built like Heskey, speed like Owen, guile of Le Tis, mental strength of Marco Boogers, injury proneness of Anderton, tackling ability Paul Scholes and temprament of Bellamy. )

However, now I dont watch the sport unless Im in the pub having a beer and dont even check the results after a weekend.

Despite the quality of play improving, I just have no interest. I dont like the way the game is played, I dont relate to the players, I dont 'get' the culture and I hate talking football as 99% of football fans know **** all about the game.

I keep my head down and ignore it unless Im playing (which I do 3-4 times a week) or coaching.

Football is a massive part of who I am but I dont care for it any more. Like divorcing someone you gave the best 20 years of your life to.

Whilst continuing to put the ball in the back of the net 3-4 times a week
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    Don't like using my iPod dock. Ruins battery life too much.
    Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post
    Thanks Dick Smith. Will remember to subscribe to your newsletter for more electronic fun facts.

still scratching around in the same old hole
    Quote Originally Posted by Langeveldt View Post
    Whilst continuing to put the ball in the back of the net 3-4 times a week
    true.

I hadnt thought of it like that. Divorced friends with benefits

Quote Originally Posted by Clapo View Post
    It's the same for just about any sporting league thats world renowned though.
    Really? I'm not even an NBA fan, but check out the last 10 NBA championship finals:

2007-08 Boston Celtics def Los Angeles Lakers
    2006-07 San Antonio Spurs def Cleveland Cavaliers
    2005-06 Miami Heat def Dallas Mavericks
    2004-05 San Antonio Spurs def Detroit Pistons
    2003-04 Detroit Pistons def Los Angeles Lakers
    2002-03 San Antonio Spurs def New Jersey Nets
    2001-02 Los Angeles Lakers def New Jersey Nets
    2000-01 Los Angeles Lakers def Philadelphia 76ers
    1999-00 Los Angeles Lakers def Indiana Pacers
    1998-99 San Antonio Spurs def New York Knicks

I count 11 different teams making the Championship finals over the last decade.

Let's try NFL now.

January 31, 1999 Denver Broncos (2) 34–19 Atlanta Falcons
    January 30, 2000 St. Louis Rams 23–16 Tennessee Titansc[
    January 28, 2001 Baltimore Ravensc[›] 34–7 New York Giants
    February 3, 2002 New England Patriots 20–17 St. Louis Rams
    January 26, 2003 Tampa Bay Buccaneers 48–21 Oakland Raiders
    February 1, 2004 New England Patriots (2) 32–29 Carolina Panthers
    February 6, 2005 New England Patriots (3) 24–21 Philadelphia Eagles
    February 5, 2006 Pittsburgh Steelers (5)c[›] 21–10 Seattle Seahawks
    February 4, 2007 Indianapolis Colts (2) 29–17 Chicago Bears
    February 3, 2008 New York Giants (3)c[›] 17–14 New England Patriots

I count 15 different teams there!

I'd love to know the "top 2" of the EPL over the last decade, and how many teams have made it in that period.
    Last edited by Jono; 25-11-2008 at 06:16 AM.

I'd love to know the "top 2" of the EPL over the last decade, and how many teams have made it in that period.
    I can tell you now: three. Liverpool haven't actually finished top 2 in the EPL yet.

That's pretty horrible. People should see this not as a criticism of the sport of soccer, but the leagues that are set up.

I always use the AFL as an example as a great equalising league, but the NBA and NFL (as shown above) are far more variable with the amount of teams that are successful than the EPL. Its a serious issue that almost all EPL soccer fans seems to be willing to just ignore. Its like they're in denial.

I'm a Richmond supporter in the AFL and have seen my team make the last 4 in the AFL twice in my lifetime. One of the worst performing teams over the last decade. Yet I still know there is always hope of my team actually winning a premiership simply because I've seen so many teams go from **** to awesome, due to the equalising nature of our league. Take Hawthorn the recent champions. Were near the bottom of the barrel 4-5 years ago, and are now premiers!

If I was born in the UK as a Portsmouth supporter, I'd actually seriously think I'll never see my team make the top 4 unless some random rich guy buys my club or something.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Samuel_Vimes's Avatar
    Defend Your Castle Champion! Monkey Diving Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby View Post
    I can tell you now: three. Liverpool haven't actually finished top 2 in the EPL yet.
    2002 disagrees.
    Messi scores on the rebound.

Founder of ESAS - Edgar Schiferli, the best associate bowler
    A follower of the schools of Machiavelli, Bentham, Locke, Hobbes, Sutcliffe, Bradman, Lindwall, Miller, Hassett and Benaud
    Member of JMAS, DMAS, FRAS and RTDAS

Quote Originally Posted by Adolf Grünbaum
    Is the conduct approved by the gods right ("pious"), because of properties of its own, or merely because it pleases the gods to value or command it?

That's pretty horrible. People should see this not as a criticism of the sport of soccer, but the leagues that are set up.

I always use the AFL as an example as a great equalising league, but the NBA and NFL (as shown above) are far more variable with the amount of teams that are successful than the EPL. Its a serious issue that almost all EPL soccer fans seems to be willing to just ignore. Its like they're in denial.

I'm a Richmond supporter in the AFL and have seen my team make the last 4 in the AFL twice in my lifetime. One of the worst performing teams over the last decade. Yet I still know there is always hope of my team actually winning a premiership simply because I've seen so many teams go from **** to awesome, due to the equalising nature of our league. Take Hawthorn the recent champions. Were near the bottom of the barrel 4-5 years ago, and are now premiers!

If I was born in the UK as a Portsmouth supporter, I'd actually seriously think I'll never see my team make the top 4 unless some random rich guy buys my club or something.
    No, I agree with you. It's not ideal & I speak as a supporter of one of the "big 4".

You pre-empt the obvious counter argument, which is that if a cap was introduced all the players would bugger off to Spain or Italy where there isn't one and the EPL would lose its pre-eminence.

The argument is quality or equality, basically.

Quote Originally Posted by Samuel_Vimes View Post
    2002 disagrees.
    ****. Quite right.

ManUre were in title race longer tho.

Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread Information