• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

You know what really grinds my sporting gears?

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Got no problem with people who wear an NRL top or whatever at an AFL game. I mean, heaps of Aust cricket supporters overseas wear AFL tops when they go to the game.

I do agree regarding wearing a team's top in the same league/sport you're watching who is not playing. Annoys me. Whenever I go as a neutral supporter to matches I don't do it, because it screams "wanker".

That being said, the St Kilda top wearing dude just wanted to bag out Cats supporters over their win last week :p

Last edited:

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
TBH don't apologise for wearing the shirt, but when you see your mate, tell him to **** off will ya?

edit - what was the game, out of interest?

Last edited:

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I was a big fan, until he left us for Derby and said in the tribunal that we did nothing to help his career, after we had paid for his rehab from cruciates for 8 months :(

I missed that game, was moving house that day. It was the day England beat ireland in the cricket WC IIRC

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The reference was to a previous system, not the current one. I'm not 100% on the details at the moment- i'll have a hoke for the book and see if there's anything to it or I'm just remembering it wrong.
Right, i've finally dug this thing up. The salary limiting rule in baseball, in place until 1975, was known as the "reserve clause", meaning that players couldn't sign a new deal with anyone unless their current team let them go, effectively limiting their salaries to whatever their club wanted to pay them. It was eventually abolished for legal reasons after Curt Flood was traded from St Louis to Philadelphia against his will- but because he was legally nothing but property, he could do nothing about it.

The significance of this particular system is that, apart from being rather inhumane, it didn't do what it was designed for i.e. the Yankees had just as much success with the system in place as they have had without it. The economic theory behind this was determined by Ronald Coase in a massive study (which won him the 1991 Nobel Prize for Economics). Coase Theorem dictates that, "When there are no transaction costs, the assignment of legal rights has no effect upon the allocation of resources among economic enterprises". In other words, players were distributed with the reserve clause in place exactly as they would have been without it- they were just paid less money. Football clubs can't be all kept roughly the same size simply by legally ruling that they have to pay their employees the same wages any more than making Tesco's and Sainsbury's pay their checkout girls a fixed wage will ensure they'll always be roughly equally successful.

Another interesting study was conducted by David Berri, who noted that the biggest factor in maintaining a competitive balance in any sport was the total number of participants. And, significantly, found that football was the least predictable of any sport- Watford are more likely to beat Chelsea than their basketball or rugby equivalents.

duffer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Another interesting study was conducted by David Berri, who noted that the biggest factor in maintaining a competitive balance in any sport was the total number of participants. And, significantly, found that football was the least predictable of any sport- Watford are more likely to beat Chelsea than their basketball or rugby equivalents.
How recent is that study? Because poor teams beating elite ones happens a lot more in basketball from what I've seen(quite a lot) over the past few years in comparison with football.

EDIT:And this:

Berri famously predicted that the 2006 Allen Iverson-Andre Miller trade between the Denver Nuggets and Philadelphia 76ers would be far more beneficial for the Sixers, and the returns confirmed his prediction.

Is plain wrong. Philadelphia are stuck in basketball purgatory right now (not goo enough to contend, not poor enough to get the top draft picks) while Denver are a Championship contending team. Not sure how accurate his methodlogy wrt to basketball are.

Last edited:

Uppercut

How recent is that study? Because poor teams beating elite ones happens a lot more in basketball from what I've seen(quite a lot) over the past few years in comparison with football.

EDIT:And this:

Berri famously predicted that the 2006 Allen Iverson-Andre Miller trade between the Denver Nuggets and Philadelphia 76ers would be far more beneficial for the Sixers, and the returns confirmed his prediction.

Is plain wrong. Philadelphia are stuck in basketball purgatory right now (not goo enough to contend, not poor enough to get the top draft picks) while Denver are a Championship contending team. Not sure how accurate his methodlogy wrt to basketball are.
Ah, I didn't even read that link.

The study was completed in 2006, and took into account data ranging from 1901 to 2005. Anecdotally, I'd agree with it, unlike you. But that's irrelevant, it was an absolutely massive study on the relative likelihood of upsets ranging over 100 years over fifteen different sports leagues over five different sports (soccer, baseball, ice hockey and basketball were four- the fifth isn't mentioned at the source I'm using but soccer was found to be the likeliest of the lot to feature an upset). Not even the most ardent follower of sport could claim to know better than it.

duffer

Ah, I didn't even read that link.

The study was completed in 2006, and took into account data ranging from 1901 to 2005. Anecdotally, I'd agree with it, unlike you. But that's irrelevant, it was an absolutely massive study on the relative likelihood of upsets ranging over 100 years over fifteen different sports leagues over five different sports (soccer, baseball, ice hockey and basketball were four- the fifth isn't mentioned at the source I'm using but soccer was found to be the likeliest of the lot to feature an upset). Not even the most ardent follower of sport could claim to know better than it.
I don't doubt the effort put into the study, but I feel that if his methodology behind it is wrong (very possible considering how little he seems to understand about basketball) then there really isn't much to take out of the findings at the end of the day.

Uppercut

I don't doubt the effort put into the study, but I feel that if his methodology behind it is wrong (very possible considering how little he seems to understand about basketball) then there really isn't much to take out of the findings at the end of the day.
Obviously you won't necessarily draw the conclusion that salary caps are useless, but I'd be surprised if it wasn't at least statistically accurate. The only way to find out for sure is to track down the study yourself and see if there's any holes in the methodology. As it stands, I'm yet to see a large-scale study contradicting it- or indeed, a study suggesting that salary caps do have the desired effect. Until then, I'm likely to be against any implementation of them.

I would sincerely be very interested if you happen to find one though.

duffer

I don't believe salary caps alone is enough to level the playing field. Wrt the NBA it needed a combination of salary caps, drafts and enforced free agency to have the desired effect but the desired effect it does have over time although there will always be levels of discrimination somewhere along the way (ie big name free agents would take slightly less money to play in LA, New York, Boston, Miami etc rather than going to Memphis, Minnesota, Cleveland etc)

What I don't doubt having read some of that guy's stuff on basketball is that he really does have no idea regarding the NBA because the nature of the sport and leagues is so much different to the others he's comparing them too.

Last edited:

grecian

Priorities of football in England.

So a player that gave his all for his sport career and family dies, this is not even mentioned in many publications. Whilst the likes of twattish ****e Craig Bellamy maybe retiring, or twattier **** Gerrard scoring two goals in a meaningless friendly is all over the place.

Yes this is a parochial beef, but it also shows how the top of football nowadays doesn't give a flying **** about the lower part of it, which is why we have such a gap between people who care about the twatty millionaires, and the grass root supporters.

Adam has been properly eulogised across the 'boards of most lower leagues clubs. the ****ers that just care about prem teams have hardly mentioned it, and their media care as much, ****ing joke.

Stanno, a CLASS above all these twonks,

HeathDavisSpeed

Read an excellent article from the BBC about your man Stanno yesterday. You just have to search for the stories that aren't about Craig Bellamy - they are out there.

grecian

Read an excellent article from the BBC about your man Stanno yesterday. You just have to search for the stories that aren't about Craig Bellamy - they are out there.
Indeed, written by a City fan I think, but the fact it's burrowed away is the point.

Yet, I've never been so upset about a death of someone I didn't really know, I guess this is how all those numpties felt about Diana, maybe I shouldn't of been so dismissive of them then:unsure:

No doubt this is colouring my views.

Last edited:

Uppercut

Were you writing tributes on message boards the last time someone you'd never heard of and had no remote connection to died? No. And the moral of that story is that all fans of lower league sides are *****.

Or something.

Uppercut

Although you have my respect for daring to go near a PL side's message board. I don't think my mind could take any of that ****.

HeathDavisSpeed

Indeed, written by a City fan I think, but the fact it's burrowed away is the point.
Fair point. I think I found it when I was looking for the BBC's opinions on the upcoming League One season (which, for the record, I thought were disappointing and very light on information). It sounds like the chap was a great servant for every club he played for and all too rare in this day & age.

grecian

Were you writing tributes on message boards the last time someone you'd never heard of and had no remote connection to died? No. And the moral of that story is that all fans of lower league sides are *****.

Or something.
tbf, was tired and emotional, really shouldn't of slagged off all fans of higher teams, the point about the meedja still stands though.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Football (all codes) commentators (and others) complaining about muddy, wet or general wintry conditions
**** me dead it's a winter sport. It's suppose to be played in the cold, and players are suppose to get dirty. Decent test of skills if the ball is slippery too, and is more entertaining usually. God damn.

cbf searching through the whole thread so apologies if this has been done before.