• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Change the Name of Rugby League Thread

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Unfortunately 'Rugby' means Union in most parts of the world. Saying League may do the job in a generic type of way but then a lot of people need the situation explained and that there really are 2 types of rugby. It is just unfortunate the duller version seems to have monopolized the term.

So if League decided it was going to change its name, what is your choice or suggestion?

Note- This isnt about whether they should change the name but what the best alternative would be if they did.

To start off

13s
Northern Rules

BoyBrumby

Englishman
The Ruffians Code
The Junior Game
Kick And Wriggle
Bastard Northern Offspring

All good. :ph34r:

Seriously tho, I think Super League was an attempt to rebrand the game but unfortunately fell foul of the News Corp/ARL war down under. Happy as it is tbh.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Rugby Only played in places you wouldn't send your mother-in-law league?

That sport played by people even more stupid than Rugby players?

Shrugby?

Last edited:

Indipper

State Regular
Rugby how Yorkies would play it

Rugby with slightly less homoeroticism

Last edited:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
There was a push to change the name of it to "Huddersfield League" or something of the like a while back. Didn't get far though.

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The game players play because they love it rather than play it for the money...

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Hey Goughy (or any other Saffies) this is a bit OT, but I always wanted to know what happened to League in South Africa. I do recall back in the day prior to Rugby going professional and the Super League war in League. League was growing in South Africa they were starting to establish themselves as the number four side.

I do remember South Africa doing to the Super League and then once that folded, so did professional Rugby League in South Africa. Is League still played at professional level in SA. I looked at wiki and can't find anything on the game after 97 and SL.

EDIT:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_van_Vollenhoven_Cup#Tom_van_Vollenhoven_Cup

Tom van Vollenhoven Cup, is this professional tournment?

Last edited:

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Hey Goughy (or any other Saffies) this is a bit OT, but I always wanted to know what happened to League in South Africa. I do recall back in the day prior to Rugby going professional and the Super League war in League. League was growing in South Africa they were starting to establish themselves as the number four side.

I do remember South Africa doing to the Super League and then once that folded, so did professional Rugby League in South Africa. Is League still played at professional level in SA. I looked at wiki and can't find anything on the game after 97 and SL.

EDIT:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_van_Vollenhoven_Cup#Tom_van_Vollenhoven_Cup

Tom van Vollenhoven Cup, is this professional tournment?
Unfortunately League doesnt really exist in South Africa. Ask the average person in the street and they would probably have never heard of it. Its probably on a par with Aussie Rules.

However, my favorite ever League player was South African. A guy (steroids cheat) called Jamie Bloem

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Why is every single person seemingly so twattish regarding the two codes? Is it compulsory that being a league fan must engender hatred of union, and vice versa?

I enjoy watching both codes virtually equally - both have their highlights and both can be thoroughly turgid to watch when played badly: but what sports don't?

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Why is every single person seemingly so twattish regarding the two codes? Is it compulsory that being a league fan must engender hatred of union, and vice versa?

I enjoy watching both codes virtually equally - both have their highlights and both can be thoroughly turgid to watch when played badly: but what sports don't?
They started it, sir... :ph34r:

Nah, I follow both. Have inherent bias towards the senior code as I grew up on it, but as a child of the eighties one struggled to garner much enjoyment from the club game in union (my it was awful to watch), so was turned onto this strange northern code where players actually ran with the ball.

Most league fans have real gripes with union (and more specifcally the RFU) because league was treated with contempt by the (then) amateur code. It's pretty hard to undo 100 years of resentment in the twelve since union went "open".

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Unfortunately League doesnt really exist in South Africa. Ask the average person in the street and they would probably have never heard of it. Its probably on a par with Aussie Rules.

However, my favorite ever League player was South African. A guy (steroids cheat) called Jamie Bloem
That is disappointing, what was it that killed it though. Rugby going professional or super league, or was it just never going to be a success.

I doubt there will be too many people in Australia that you asked on the street that haven't heard of Aussie Rules. Sounds a bit like League in SA is similar to say Baseball in Australia. They tried professional (mainly semi) in the 90s, but never took off. Most baseball fans now in Australia just follow it through overseas leagues.

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
That is disappointing, what was it that killed it though. Rugby going professional or super league, or was it just never going to be a success.

I doubt there will be too many people in Australia that you asked on the street that haven't heard of Aussie Rules. Sounds a bit like League in SA is similar to say Baseball in Australia. They tried professional (mainly semi) in the 90s, but never took off. Most baseball fans now in Australia just follow it through overseas leagues.
He's talking about League's parity with AFL in South Africa (where's it's played reasonably frequently).