• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Can Australia Hosts the 2018 WC?

TORY

Cricket Spectator
I really, really, really hope Australia get the nod to host the World Cup IN 2018, But the England bid looks like a very, very tough one. Other countries bidding are China, United States, Canada, Mexico, and Netherlands and Belgium Joint bidding.

There are a few problems to overcome though. The bid would require the co-operation of the Australian Football League (Aussie rules not the A-League) and the National Rugby League, who would need to alter their season to make some stadiums available. Both codes could argue that they’re more popular than soccer in Australia, so it could all depend on how keen they are to help out.

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Pretty sure I read something just last week on foxsports saying that the NRL and AFL will do everything they can to support the bid and that includes giving football the sole use of the stadiums for the tournament.

TORY

Cricket Spectator
we have facilites that very few can match, another stadium being built now for Melbourne Victory which is designed for Soccer.

cpr

International Coach
Reckon England's bid is a pretty solid one, the stadiums we have at the moment can go down as some of the best and most modern in the game, places like Wembley, Old Trafford, St James Park, Emirates, Eastlands, Stadium of Light.... All pretty much fantastic grounds that hold 40,000 or more, and being designed for football the views are brilliant (compared to say a Aussie Rules ground which'll have an extra 40m of pitch each side). Add to these we have some fantastic new smaller grounds, such as at Bolton, Hull, Wigan (coz lets face it, South Korea v Bolivia wouldnt exactly need to be at a 90,000 seater), plus planned new grounds for Liverpool/Everton, and those old giants at Villa Park, Elland Road and Hillsboro. Pretty Good stadia overall, plus its only 3 hours drive the whole length of the country, and the road/rail networks not exactly bad.

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Personally I think a 2022 bid is more realistic for Australia, but we'll see I guess. Would love for it to come here, but I recall reading somewhere how there would need to be a few facilities that need upgrading, and according to various people on ABC Grandstand, the press areas in many of Australias sporting grounds are pathetic, and would struggle to be adequate for such a large event.

TORY

Cricket Spectator
The Aussies have proven that they can host world class sporting events with Sydney 2000 and the Rugby World Cup 2003. We are a country that loves sports and sportspeople and treat them like family. we made it to the last world cup and even into the second round.

Currently four different codes of football are fighting to become the number one code in Australia. If Australia were to host the 2018 world Cup, football fever would overtake the country and it would tip the balance in favour of football as the most popular sport in Australia. I hope FIFA can see the benefit of this occuring because it will eventually result in Australia becoming a powerhouse of football.

Burgey

Reckon England's bid is a pretty solid one, the stadiums we have at the moment can go down as some of the best and most modern in the game, places like Wembley, Old Trafford, St James Park, Emirates, Eastlands, Stadium of Light.... All pretty much fantastic grounds that hold 40,000 or more, and being designed for football the views are brilliant (compared to say a Aussie Rules ground which'll have an extra 40m of pitch each side). Add to these we have some fantastic new smaller grounds, such as at Bolton, Hull, Wigan (coz lets face it, South Korea v Bolivia wouldnt exactly need to be at a 90,000 seater), plus planned new grounds for Liverpool/Everton, and those old giants at Villa Park, Elland Road and Hillsboro. Pretty Good stadia overall, plus its only 3 hours drive the whole length of the country, and the road/rail networks not exactly bad.
Yeah, but FIFA want the hosts to have some sort of chance, surely? :p

Isn't it done on some roster now, so each of the confederations get it in turn, then it's up to individual countries to bid for it?

TORY

Cricket Spectator
Yeah, but FIFA want the hosts to have some sort of chance, surely? :p

Isn't it done on some roster now, so each of the confederations get it in turn, then it's up to individual countries to bid for it?
What about Japan of 02, USA of 94 and now S.A of 2010. Surely Australia has more chances than those 3, we couldve made it as far as the semis of 06. We could do what Korea did if we play in front of our own fans

Last edited:

duffer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
With South Africa and then Brazil hosting it I can't see them giving a third consecutive tournament to a Southern Hemisphere country. Will go to Europe or North America.

Burgey

What about Japan of 02, USA of 94 and now S.A of 2010. Surely Australia has more chances than those 3, we couldve made it as far as the semis of 06. We could do what Korea did if we play in front of our own fans
Was refering to England's chances mate :).

Craig

World Traveller
That and they have started the arse-kissing process, such as playing friendlies away to Trinidad and Tobago (to please Jack Warner).

Simon

I think it would be wise for us to forget about 2018 cause lets face it England are nearly certainties. If the FFA pledge support to england's bid for 2018 and in return they support us for 2022 we would have a great chance to get it. 14 years really isnt a long time to wait.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Its pretty hard to come up with a reason why to give the WC to Australia unless the weak and inaccurate argument of "everyone else is getting it" is rolled out.

Australia not a soccer powerhouse

Australia has done little to influence and grow the game worldwide. It has not paid its dues to the World game

Australia is a small domestic market

Australia does not have a strong domestic pro league

Australia is a difficult tourist destination for many traditional soccer countries (S. Am and Europe) to make short visits to

Australia has awkward time zones for TV in a number of countries.

Many of the stadiums are not soccer stadiums and will leave a large gap between the fans and the players.

There are probably many more but I cant think of a single reason why Aus should host a WC.

EDIT- Just to add, IMO SA should not have got 2010. It was a sentimental choice rather than logical.

Last edited:

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah, agree on the stadiums. ****, I love the MCG et al, but they are NOT ideal grounds for football.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
It funny how one of our potential biggest positive, ends up being a major weakness. We have some of the better stadiums in the world. But most are Cricket or AFL grounds.

Apart from the Olympic Stadium and Lang Park. The rest of stadiums will have to be built from start or existing stadiums expanded. 2018 is probably too soon and 2022 would a good time for us.

Even looking outside what it would mean to Australia domestically, it would be pretty massive for Asia/Oceania to have another World Cup in the region. Japan/Korea was the baby steps for region, another World Cup would really take the region to another level. China would be the preferred distination for the 2nd Asia World Cup. But football in China has stagnated and needs to sort out their own backyard first.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
Not any more I had heard, though I'm not sure. I thought that after Brazil won the 2014 World Cup by default, being the only South American country to apply, FIFA dropped the idea.