• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Can Australia Hosts the 2018 WC?

Matt79

Global Moderator
Don't like soccer so would prefer they not mess around with stadia and sporting schedules for events/comps that I do like. Enjoy it England.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I think it would be wise for us to forget about 2018 cause lets face it England are nearly certainties. If the FFA pledge support to england's bid for 2018 and in return they support us for 2022 we would have a great chance to get it. 14 years really isnt a long time to wait.
Think you're underestimating how much everyone hates us. We only got the Olympics because the French are even less popular internationally than us.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah, can't see it.

think there are various regulations covering the WC bids and unless they change these it makes it very hard for Australia. Only one city can have 2 host stadiums (for england this rules out COM and New Goodison, but for Australia it means only one of Melbourne or Sydney can have 2 stadiums). There have to be at least 10 stadia of over 40,000, with 2 over 60,000. I believe there is also a rule that says only one stadium in the bid can be an oval/have a running track round it which is a big killer for Australia. I think you also have to show the stadia will not become white elephants after the cup.

So 10 stadia, you have say Homebush, SFS, One from Melbourne (etihad, mcg or rectangular whichever), A new perth one...but given the previous 'new stadium' idea which was to include football, has pretty much been shelved for a subiaco refurb, there's trouble there. Adelaide...the only way it'll work there is a refurb of Football Park and use that as the one oval. Brisbane has Lang Park, guess you could increase Skilled to 40,000 for the GC and you still need 3 more...Townsville might be justified with the A League and Cowboys...then maybe Newcastle and somewhere else in NSW that doesn't count as Sydney. So you get 10 but very much scraping the barrel, with a lot of expansion/new builds.

Plus the travel distances, but i don't really see that as too bad.

2022 seems a lot better, also given Blatters comments to that effect

Craig

World Traveller
Yeah, can't see it.

think there are various regulations covering the WC bids and unless they change these it makes it very hard for Australia. Only one city can have 2 host stadiums (for england this rules out COM and New Goodison, but for Australia it means only one of Melbourne or Sydney can have 2 stadiums). There have to be at least 10 stadia of over 40,000, with 2 over 60,000. I believe there is also a rule that says only one stadium in the bid can be an oval/have a running track round it which is a big killer for Australia. I think you also have to show the stadia will not become white elephants after the cup.

So 10 stadia, you have say Homebush, SFS, One from Melbourne (etihad, mcg or rectangular whichever), A new perth one...but given the previous 'new stadium' idea which was to include football, has pretty much been shelved for a subiaco refurb, there's trouble there. Adelaide...the only way it'll work there is a refurb of Football Park and use that as the one oval. Brisbane has Lang Park, guess you could increase Skilled to 40,000 for the GC and you still need 3 more...Townsville might be justified with the A League and Cowboys...then maybe Newcastle and somewhere else in NSW that doesn't count as Sydney. So you get 10 but very much scraping the barrel, with a lot of expansion/new builds.

Plus the travel distances, but i don't really see that as too bad.

2022 seems a lot better, also given Blatters comments to that effect
What about Suncorp? Over 50,000 capacity.

speirz

State Vice-Captain
then maybe Newcastle and somewhere else in NSW that doesn't count as Sydney. So you get 10 but very much scraping the barrel, with a lot of expansion/new builds.
Newcastle is already expanding to something like 35,000. With temporary seating allowing for it to top 40 IIRC.