Just wondering what people would rate their favourite sports events. I like lists, so I'll give you one.
1. Kentucky Derby: There are major problems with American horse racing, like the fact that a huge number of the horses are being given performance enhancing drugs and nothing is being done about it, but I just absolutely love this event on the first Saturday in May every year. 150,000 people, My Old Kentucky Home, the blanket of roses...beautiful. Something about the way Americans do big sports events really appeals to me. I hope I can make it there one year.
2. NZ Derby: Not quite in the same league, but still pretty decent - at $2.2 million it's behind only the Kentucky and Epsom Derby in terms of prize money for 3 year-old races in the world. Not bad. The 2009 Derby will be the 11th I've witnessed live at the track. Just have to be there every year.
3. Chappell-Hadlee Trophy: It's still young but it's amazing the number of thrilling games that have taken place since its inception - Telstra Dome and SCG 2004, Wellington and Christchurch 2005, Auckland and Hamilton 2007. It's seen a few amazing catches too - Sinclair at Telstra Dome, Bond in Wellington. Love it. Bring on the 2009/10 renewal.
4. Summer Olympics: Not much sleep during those 2 weeks.
5. Cricket World Cup: 2007 was rubbish, but I really enjoyed 96, 99 and 03.