• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Favourite sports events?

luffy

International Captain
The Olympics[/B

Anything which isn't football- Football is taken too serious (in Britain). It has caused hooliganism, it is over waged. People in England (not sure about the rest of the world) treat football like the holy grail. If you live in England, if you saw the back page of a newspaper I can guarantee there will be a football article on it. Now it is over dramatic, footballers are giving children who look up to them a bad influence by the falling over if a fly flies onto them. This makes the children do it. Soon enough you won't be able to play a fair game of football.

Bloody hell.

That is stupid.

The players are easily dicks. The game is easily awesome.

Don't like it, don't waste posts ranting about it.

Craig

World Traveller
Football World Cup: As BB said really. Was pretty funny when Australia made it in, everybody in this country suddenly gave a **** about the sport and there was just a media scrum for the first seats on the bandwagon express. Whereas nobody cared before.

The Ashes: Always thrilling viewing, and series like 2005 will go down as one of my favourite ever series'.

Tour de France: Yeah they are all on EPO or some new form of it, still good to watch though.

FA Cup: Always love it when you see the non league team go to one of the 'big four' and earn a replay or in the rare event and get a win. Or when one of the Lower League teams has a brilliant cup run where they get to the Quarters or Semi Final (like Wycombe and Tranmere IIRC had a good cup run a few years back). Have to cheer for the underdog anyway.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
FA Cup: Always love it when you see the non league team go to one of the 'big four' and earn a replay or in the rare event and get a win. Or when one of the Lower League teams has a brilliant cup run where they get to the Quarters or Semi Final (like Wycombe and Tranmere IIRC had a good cup run a few years back). Have to cheer for the underdog anyway.
Made the Quarters in 2000,2001 and 2004, knocking out West Ham, Sunderland, Everton, Southampton & Bolton in doing so, all of whom were in the Prem at the time :cool:

Also got to the League Cup Final in 2000 :D

Langeveldt

Soutie
Nice thread

Not in any particular order

England v South Africa - Rugby Union
England v South Africa - Test Cricket
Rugby Union World Cup
Vodacom Super 14
ABSA Currie Cup
FIFA Football world cup
The Ashes
Cricket World Cup
Glorious Goodwood
The Grand National
The F.A Cup
World Series of Poker
MTN Domestic Championship
Supersport Series

James90

Cricketer Of The Year
1. State of Origin
2. The Ashes
3. FIFA World Cup
4. AFL Grand Final
5. Border-Gavaskar Trophy
6. NRL Grand Final
7. Wimbledon
8. Summer Olympics

In order.

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
1. Ashes Test Cricket
2. AFL Grand Final Day
3. Australia v India Test Cricket
4. Football World Cup
5. Cricket World Cup
6. Olympics

S.P. Fleming

U19 Cricketer
1. rugby world cup
2. Bledisloe cup
3. Melbourne f1 gp
4. Bathurst 1000
5.Chappell- Hadlee trophey
6. FA cup final

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Would've put good money on you saying the AFL grand final.
To be honest, if you said the Wimbledon final vs. the AFL, I would have said I probably prefer watching the GF more, same with the Cricket World Cup finals (generally) and India/Aus test matches.

But when you consider the whole Wimbledon event over the two weeks, its probably my favourite sporting event overall.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
1) The Ashes - Nothing comes close to this in cricketing terms IMO. Depsite the fact that we nearly(!) always lose, it is always cricket of the highest quality and more often than not, I love watching the Aussies play because they are so bloody good.

2) The Rugby World Cub (the proper code, Union obv) - Unlike the Ashes, we tend to do quite well in this, depsite playing **** for the last 4 years. Could happily watch any good rugby teams play, fantastic spectator sport and nothing beats (in Rugby terms) watching the NZ backs totally owning some poor defensive back line with some great moves.

3) FIFA Football World Cup - Despite not being a massive Football fan, I can't help but getting caught up in it all. Obviously, England are **** at Football and I quite enjoy watching us lose.

Shaggy Alfresco

State Captain
5) Wimbledon
4) Six Nations
3) UEFA Champions League Quarter Finals onwards (even if it is a bastion of all that is wrong with the modern game, the football played is easily the best of the season)
2) The Ashes
1) FIFA World Cup