• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Most Disgraceful Sporting Moment

99*

International Debutant
Quite simple, just post a link or give a description of what you think is the most disgraceful moment in sports.

For me, the death of Roger Williamson in the Dutch GP. His car crashed, flipped and caught fire, fellow driver and friend David Purley stopped his car and got out to try flip the car and get Roger out. While this was happening the track marshalls were on the track kicking parts that fell off the car off the track. Once the fire started to get to big David was pulled away by marshalls and te car was left to burn with Roger still in the car. What made this so much worse was some members of the crowd wanted to help flip the car, but were stopped by marshalls/guards with dogs.

http://nz.youtube.com/watch?v=3mz3ZzSXyWM

Close second was a Spanish GP (can't remember the date), where the day before the race it was found the track barriers were unsafe. The team wanted to cancel the race and wait for updates to the barriers, but the race organisers threatened to sue the team with breach of contract. This forced the teams to race and during it a car's rear wing broke and the car flew into the crowd killing three people. The race continued for three more laps and the organisers still held a celebration.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Quite simple, just post a link or give a description of what you think is the most disgraceful moment in sports.

For me, the death of Roger Williamson in the Dutch GP. His car crashed, flipped and caught fire, fellow driver and friend David Purley stopped his car and got out to try flip the car and get Roger out. While this was happening the track marshalls were on the track kicking parts that fell off the car off the track. Once the fire started to get to big David was pulled away by marshalls and te car was left to burn with Roger still in the car. What made this so much worse was some members of the crowd wanted to help flip the car, but were stopped by marshalls/guards with dogs.

http://nz.youtube.com/watch?v=3mz3ZzSXyWM

Close second was a Spanish GP (can't remember the date), where the day before the race it was found the track barriers were unsafe. The team wanted to cancel the race and wait for updates to the barriers, but the race organisers threatened to sue the team with breach of contract. This forced the teams to race and during it a car's rear wing broke and the car flew into the crowd killing three people. The race continued for three more laps and the organisers still held a celebration.
Pretty hard to say anything after that. Don't mind admitting I have tears in my eyes. Seeing the other cars continue the race as a genuine tragedy unfolds is just awful on a human level. Purley's desperate heroism stands in stark contrast to the marshalls' indifference.

Really, really awful to see.

Barney Rubble

International Coach
Pretty hard to say anything after that. Don't mind admitting I have tears in my eyes. Seeing the other cars continue the race as a genuine tragedy unfolds is just awful on a human level. Purley's desperate heroism stands in stark contrast to the marshalls' indifference.

Yeah, that was not a nice thing to see. Hard to look past this, TBH. This thread's pretty much over.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Don't mind admitting I have tears in my eyes.
Having read the thread, I didnt think it could be that bad but I agree with the above.

From a distance of a generation away and watching a computer screen it would be easy to be divorced from the images and yet Purley, hidden by a helmet, shows a pain and humanity that is truly touching and heart wrenching.

David

International 12th Man

Yeah, that was not a nice thing to see. Hard to look past this, TBH. This thread's pretty much over.
Totally agree. I can't think of any moment as bad as this. Truly a heartbreaking piece of footage.

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
/thread

Don't think I've been touched as strongly by any sporting moment as I have been by this when I first watched it sometime last year. Just watching the footage will stay with me forever.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
**** that's horrible.

Apparently the drivers who passed by thought it was Purley's car that crashed, and that he was just fire extinguishing his own car.

That created a domino effect as they kept racing, and hence the fire truck couldn't come directly on the track because it would have to go up against oncoming F1 cars.

Pretty ****ed up :(

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
Jeez that's ****ing horrible. How can one watch that and actually hold back tears.

EDIT: Walked around the kitchen and still couldn't stop the tears. ffs

Last edited:

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
No tears? None for me either. Cold hearted etc.

Not that it makes it any less shocking.

The Baconator

International Vice-Captain
Yeah, that'd be Montjuich Park in 1975. They actually locked all the cars and stuff in the compound where they were kept until they agreed to race.

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
Its the bit where he's forced away and you can see his head just drop that gets me :(
Yeah same here.

Shouldn't have said that 'how can one hold back tears' as its really not fair. Everybody gets emotional over different things.

Last edited:

Bronte

Cricket Spectator
McCaw the great NEW Zealand captain,he is so good he manages to pull the wool over all referees eyes and gets away with more professional fouls in one game than most players do in a full career.:@