• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official NBA Thread***

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
You could never be condescending to me :wub:

Where would Rondo rank in terms of importance to the Boston team?

duffer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Well they run 90% of their offence through him during the first 3 and a half quarters or so; I'd say that'd make him pretty indespensible for them. His only problem is he can't be trusted to handle the rock and create during the final stretch because it would be easy for the other teams to just put him on the foul line.

So in that sense they need Pierce just as badly because he is very good at playing a "point forward" type of role and also a sick closer and tough to guard because of how he can score on you in so many different ways.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Man, this series has been awesome. Lakers up on moment one day only to be upset by Celtics only to be upset by Lakers again. I can't wait for game 7. I hope the good all round team of Boston wins but my guy feeling says it will be the Lakers.

Francis

State Vice-Captain
Heavens to Betsy I'm excited over this game. I'm going to be very sad if the Lakers lose.

I will be watching the game with my best friend and potentially a girl from Santa Barbara, which is near LA. She's a Lakers fan.

I want the Lakers to win this series and next years - that way Kobe can have as many rings as MJ does, and win them in a similar way (two three-peats).

C'MON LAKERS! WOO! FRANK LOVES YOU!

duffer

Gasol Finals MVP.

So down right now. Mexico beat France and now the Lakers win. Cholos be partying tonight.

duffer

Seriously, they let them play hard for the first 3 quarters and all of a sudden they call 12 fouls on Boston in the final quarter? **** this ****.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
My God. What a game, what a series. Nothing can compare to the Jazz-Bulls encounters I watched in the 90s personally but this came mighty close to it in competitiveness. Both teams were great and wanted the title badly and it showed in Game 7.

This is the most physical NBA game I have seen. The first half was crazy. Lakers shooting what 22%? Offensive rebounding one after the other to help them not get out of the game. Boston played some great defense in the first half against Bryant especially and also Gasol. All the Celtics played their part showing once again the great all round team they have. Paul Pierce played his heart out. Rondo tried making more shots than giving assists and took the initiative.

There were two key moments in the game for me. One when points stood at 57-55 for almost an eternity. Both teams just wouldn't let the other score! Lakers came back brilliantly. Phil Jackson is a great coach and he identified the problem of Kobe going for very low percentage shots against tight defense. Lakers played some great defense in the second half to step it up.

The second key moment was the Derek Fisher 3 pointer. He is a clutch player and deserves his 5th Championship. There was a debate going on early in the series among the commentators whether Fisher's number and jersey should go up there when he is all said and done. One of the two vehemently said it shouldn't but according to me he has given Lakers is years of great service deserves it up there. In other points, Ron Artest had a terrific game and as Kobe mentioned, 'the Spaniard' Gasol deserves a lot of credit in this Championship victory, Gasol's second consecutive.

The Rondo 3 pointer and almost steal which could have turned it around showed what a fighting team Boston is. This is the first time the Lakers have defeated the Celtics in game 7 of the finals in 5 attempts and they are now only one short of the 17 Championships Boston has.

This match will be remembered for a long time, not for artistic basketball but for the tenacity of both the teams. Just too good.

Last edited:

Francis

State Vice-Captain
I love every single one of you guys. This day... it's a beautiful day.

Kobe played below himself, but it's OK because today is a beautiful day.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
One of the ESPN commentators were saying that Kobe is now better than Magic Johnson as the greatest Laker ever.

Is that a fair statement?

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Not yet IMO. Johnson was regarded as the best ever by many before Jordan came along and was superb by all accounts as well. I don't like Kobe Bryant but given his work ethic and his committment, I think he has a fair chance of surpassing Magic. Not 100% certain though.

Last edited:

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
One of the ESPN commentators were saying that Kobe is now better than Magic Johnson as the greatest Laker ever.

Is that a fair statement?
it is a fair comparison at this point i'd think...and if he wins one or two more, he will certainly be in a very short list of the greatest all-time players...and i had some chores and wasn't able to watch but am thrilled right now...:clapping:

duffer

I don't think he's better than Magic and imo Wilt, West or Kareem but has passed guys like Shaq, Baylor, Worthy etc. Definitely will have a legacy to rival the best when it's all said and done.

That said congrats to the Lakers, they did definitely have the strongest roster in the league and have a team that will be up there for another 2-3 years at least with Kobe and Gasol. Just need to upgrade a fading Fisher and maybe clean out some of their scrubs who don't contribute anything, maybe with a couple of younger players they can groom? I just really hate them so much.

But the draft and then the big Lebron sweepstakes are going to be huge. If Cleveland can keep him and strengthen their backcourt and draft an upside big they'll be in good shape to have a crack again.

duffer

They're very actively trying to buy one. Problem is, NYK, Boston, Houston and Portland are all trying to as well so the market for the few picks available is very competitive. They'll get something, they need to.

Johnners

Ahh, didn't know this, any idea who in particular they're shopping around? Assuming Mo & Delonte?