• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official NBA Thread***

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
shaq hoping to ride the lebron wave to a 5th ring...let's see if he helps or hurts the cavs...

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
IMO it's mutually beneficial. Cavs need a big man which can put up numbers and take some focus away from Lebron, they want a championship and Shaq is one of those big men who commands attention, still puts up good numbers and brings huge championship experience.

Assuming the Cavs can't get someone like Boozer or Amar'e (not likely) then Shaq is as good a choice as any IMO.

duffer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Cavs can't afford to match whatever offers Boozer gets and Amare would need them to give up a lot. Add to the fact one rorted them big time over his last contract and the other is always getting hurt and would never buy into their defensive philosophy.

Shaq gives them everything they need. He's still unstoppable on the low block (highest FG% in the league last season), can organise and lift a defence and brings the right attitude and influence needed for a championship team. He adresses their four biggest needs as well as anyone could (post play/experience/toughness/legit 2nd option).

If it doesn't work out, then he's an expiring contract and they can go after Bosh, Johnson or whoever in 2010. They need to show Lebron that they are serious about getting him all the gold to keep him away from NY/Brooklyn. The only issue he has is that if he doesn't think a coach is up to the task he'll murder him (like he still does to SvG). Brown has to be at his pandering best to cover his ass. He's a very demanding superstar(in a good way; he demands excellence from everyone).

duffer

No idea. Will revolve around whether he'll want to come off the bench for a contender, be the main guy and how much money he's willing to take. Heard some bizarre rumours about Tim Duncan wanting him there as their bench spark, moving Manu to a permanent starter. Although Pop would probably see him as too high maintenance to bother with.

Either way I'll have a few new teams to follow though. AI's team, Rubio's team and Paddy's team. Big Joe Ingles could be drafted somewhere in the 2nd too.

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
Yeah, this is my first year of really following the NBA since AI and Duncan were rookies, so it's interesting for me. Picked up some new favs (still love AI) and having followed the NCAA from Sweet 16 onwards, a few new favs for the draft. Should be an interesting off-season for me.

Johnners

No idea. Will revolve around whether he'll want to come off the bench for a contender, be the main guy and how much money he's willing to take. Heard some bizarre rumours about Tim Duncan wanting him there as their bench spark, moving Manu to a permanent starter. Although Pop would probably see him as too high maintenance to bother with.

Either way I'll have a few new teams to follow though. AI's team, Rubio's team and Paddy's team. Big Joe Ingles could be drafted somewhere in the 2nd too.
Re: Ingles, I was reading ESPN last night, and they don't have him listed as either an In/Out for the draft?

duffer

Yeah there aren't many sure fire superstars in this draft but there are a lot of players who could get there with a bit of luck.

What do you reckon about Earl Clark? He's being predicted to go middle-first but I really like to look of him. A 6'10 guy who's quick and athletic enough to hang with most SF's is going to be a matchup nightmare IMO once he develops his jumpshot.

Other guys I like are Jeff Teague, Brandon Jennings and of course Stephen Curry.

Re: Ingles, I was reading ESPN last night, and they don't have him listed as either an In/Out for the draft?
Read he committed and would go to Europe if he wasn't taken.

Jamee999

Hall of Fame Member
In terms of "Players I've Heard of per team" - Cleveland will be winning by a fair distance if they get Shaq.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Cavs can't afford to match whatever offers Boozer gets and Amare would need them to give up a lot. Add to the fact one rorted them big time over his last contract and the other is always getting hurt and would never buy into their defensive philosophy.

Shaq gives them everything they need. He's still unstoppable on the low block (highest FG% in the league last season), can organise and lift a defence and brings the right attitude and influence needed for a championship team. He adresses their four biggest needs as well as anyone could (post play/experience/toughness/legit 2nd option).

If it doesn't work out, then he's an expiring contract and they can go after Bosh, Johnson or whoever in 2010. They need to show Lebron that they are serious about getting him all the gold to keep him away from NY/Brooklyn. The only issue he has is that if he doesn't think a coach is up to the task he'll murder him (like he still does to SvG). Brown has to be at his pandering best to cover his ass. He's a very demanding superstar(in a good way; he demands excellence from everyone).
Bosh has stated he won't re-sign for the Raptors, so surely it would make sense for Toronto to try and get some sort of value for him this post-season.

duffer

Bosh has stated he won't re-sign for the Raptors, so surely it would make sense for Toronto to try and get some sort of value for him this post-season.
First I've heard that he said that. Even then, what team is going to give up value for a probable one year rental? Who can land him and stay under the lux tax this year and get a guarantee from him that he'll commit to re-signing with them next season?

Wallace and Sasha won't go anywhere near getting him to Cleveland. They're not giving him up for crap. I'd personally try and trade their pick + filler or sign and trade Marion to get a legit player in and see if that can convince him to stay. As it stands now, teams know the score with the Raptors and will lowball them relentlessly if they were to entertain offers for Bosh.

duffer

Anyone else want to embaress themselves by doing a mock draft? I'm going to give it a crack later this week, and compare once the draft is over for a bit of a lol. Ultimate crapshoot but I'll give it a go.

Also, Hornets had a workout and Byron Scott seems to love lil Patty.

WESTWEGO - The New Orleans Hornets held their fourth pre-draft workout at their Alario Center training facility on Tuesday afternoon.

Patrick Mills from St. Mary's was perhaps the headliner among the 6 prospects on hand. The Austrailian Olympic star clearly garnered the attention of Hornets head coach Byron Scott.

"If you played (Mills) right now in a five-on-five game, he could run all day," noted Scott with a smile. "He's in unbelievable condition."
In fact, the 6-foot, 175 pounder from Canberra, Australia was more energizer bunny than Koala Bear. Mills broke the record for speed in the always-treacherous ‘suicide' running drills.

"I do love that," said Scott.
But Mills also impressed with his ability. "He has a great shot and really knows how to play."
More of a scoring point than a passer during his amateur career, Mills is likely to be available when the Hornets first round selection (21st overall) rolls around on June 25.

"A lot of people talk about me being a scoring point guard at St. Mary's now and needing to transition that into the league and being a facilitator," remarked Mills. "That something I'm familiar with experiencing that in the Summer Olympics with the Australian National Team. So I believe that transition will be ok since I've been through it already."
Of course, New Orleans doesn't need a starting point guard with Chris Paul around. But quality depth is needed as all positions from the Hornets including the backup point guard spot.

"I've watched a lot of tape on Chris Paul and played against him as well. He's someone that I've tried to learn from," said Mills. "The Hornets' style of play is great and fits into my game."

Mills was the leading scorer for his country in the 2008 Olympics and tallied 20 points against Paul and Team USA in the quarterfinals. He also has no turnovers in 28 minutes. His ability to protect the ball and become a distributor will determine his fate in the NBA.

Would love him to go there as a backup and learn from CP3 for a few years. Would be so awesome for the little guy.

EDIT: Video of the workout and a Patty interview here

Last edited:

Hoggy31

International Captain
Hope Mills doesn't go to a team where he'll be used solely for bench scoring i.e. Cleveland, could be detrimental to his long term development as a point. Hopefully Golden State or someone can get him where he'll have some opportunities to run the offence.