• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official NBA Thread***

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Melo was hugely hyped at his peak but think most commentators and fans had seen through him once he moved into his journeyman era.
He was part of the rookie batch that produced James and Wade and the hype was that he was at that level. That initial hype was not really his fault and to be fair, he was a very good scorer during his initial years in Denver and even after he joined the Knicks. He was "found out" well before he moved into his journeyman phase though. He was a ball-hogging, progressively inefficient volume shooter who didn't pass (nearly enough) and never lifted a finger on the defensive end. At his best, he was a good complementary star.

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
I always felt he was capable of good D but he just didn't care enough. I recall him upping his game to defend Lebron in his Denver days, you just never saw that effort at any other point.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
I always felt he was capable of good D but he just didn't care enough. I recall him upping his game to defend Lebron in his Denver days, you just never saw that effort at any other point.
Agreed, he just didn't care enough on that end of the floor...

Ali TT

International Debutant
He was part of the rookie batch that produced James and Wade and the hype was that he was at that level. That initial hype was not really his fault and to be fair, he was a very good scorer during his initial years in Denver and even after he joined the Knicks. He was "found out" well before he moved into his journeyman phase though. He was a ball-hogging, progressively inefficient volume shooter who didn't pass (nearly enough) and never lifted a finger on the defensive end. At his best, he was a good complementary star.
Maybe a better way of saying it might be that while commentators and many fans had seen through Melo, there were plenty of front office staff who still bought into the idea that he could be the puzzle piece that took their team over the line.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Jokic now ranks 4th with 122 regular-season triple-doubles in 650 games. Only Magic (138), Oscar (181) and Westbrook (198) are ahead of him. Having said that, if you count only truly consequential T-Ds and eliminate the garbage stat-stuffing ones, I would say he is already 3rd on that list. :)

Ali TT

International Debutant
Jokic now ranks 4th with 122 regular-season triple-doubles in 650 games. Only Magic (138), Oscar (181) and Westbrook (198) are ahead of him. Having said that, if you count only truly consequential T-Ds and eliminate the garbage stat-stuffing ones, I would say he is already 3rd on that list. :)
And O played against plumbers so count him out as well.

Only 77 to get past Russ ;)

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
Melo was a pretty good post defender and okay 1-on-1 when he tried but was maybe the worst player I've ever seen at getting around a screen (maybe Harden) - and he never really played in a switching system, so was constantly getting smoked in PnR.

duffer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Melo was a pretty good post defender and okay 1-on-1 when he tried but was maybe the worst player I've ever seen at getting around a screen (maybe Harden) - and he never really played in a switching system, so was constantly getting smoked in PnR.
On his coaches for not trying to find ways of hiding him imo

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
On his coaches for not trying to find ways of hiding him imo
The NBA was pretty different then. There was no prevalence switching defenses until the Warriors really popularised it and that was after Melo's prime was gone. Dudes like Melo were called weak if they were switching off the LeBron 's etc of the league. I do agree with the sentiment but I doubt Karl could've gotten a team with Chauncey, Melo, Kmart, Nene etc to buy in on a switching defence even if he'd thought of it as an option.

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year
I remember that the scouting reports were saying that Jayson Tatum's ceiling was the next Melo.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
It’s pretty weird that the Spurs haven’t put anyone remotely competent next to him

He’d put up 25/10/10 next to anyone who can pass while being on minutes restrictions