• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official NBA Thread***

Ali TT

International Debutant
The criticism is that he has lost multiple playoff series due to him performing poorly - I) against weaker teams that his team was favoured to win against or II) got absolutely destroyed by some stronger playoff teams with Dame hardly putting up a fight.
Yeah but it's easy for better teams to shut down one man teams in the play offs. Doesn't mean that the one player is overrated or necessarily under-performed. Lillard has never had a superstar level teammate like Giannis so will be interesting to see how they get on.

Teja.

Global Moderator
Hmm, none of his playoff exits fit this imo
In 2018 first round, they were the 3rd seed and were generous odds favourites to win (-250) the series against 6th seed New Orleans. They were swept in large part due to Dame having a 18/4/4 series with 4 turnovers a game shooting an atrocious 35% from the field and 30% from 3 on 8 attempts a game.

He was several degrees worse than CJ who put up 25/3/3 at 52/41/77 and Aminu with 17/9/2 at 53/41/90 on his own team both of them combined not having as many turnovers as him. Didn’t score more than 20 points in a single game despite multiple close winnable games.

Last edited:

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
In 2018 first round, they were the 3rd seed and were generous odds favourites to win (-250) the series against 6th seed New Orleans. They were swept in large part due to Dame having a 18/4/4 series with 4 turnovers a game shooting an atrocious 35% from the field and 30% from 3 on 8 attempts a game.
They won 49 games that season and pels won 48. The seeding is pretty misleading. He was pretty bad individually but his poor splits were exacerbated by the pelicans selling out to stop dame, which the blazers couldn't handle because they ran a ton of one v one actions. Unlike Curry (who's much better than Dame obviously) who has a excellent secondary playmakers like Draymond who can exploit the 4 v 3s he creates.

I think he's played with the least amount of talent around him for any superstar this era. He'll work great with Giannis imo (who himself will benefit a lot from a great shooter like Dame).

Last edited:

Teja.

Global Moderator
Suns & Ayton must really have hated each other
I think the expectations were too high from him early on. He is a heck of a talent who was putting up 18/11 on default from day 1 and is actually a decent defender. He also had a very good finals run in 2021. He was just expected to be this powerhouse old school center who is at the rim on both ends when he isn’t that type of player.

Think he’d thrive in a setting where there’s a developing team, every year is not championship or bust and he isn’t the most convenient scapegoat whenever things go sideways.

Teja.

Global Moderator
They won 49 games that season and pels won 48. The seeding is pretty misleading. He was pretty bad individually but his poor splits were exacerbated by the pelicans selling out to stop dame, which the blazers couldn't handle because they ran a ton of one v one actions. Unlike Curry (who's much better than Dame obviously) who has a excellent secondary playmakers like Draymond who can exploit the 4 v 3s he creates.

I think he's played with the least amount of talent around him for any superstar this era. He'll work great with Giannis imo (who himself will benefit a lot from a great shooter like Dame).
Man, they still entered the series comfortable odds favourites regardless of the win gap. The series was still winnable early on. The first game had a 2 point gap for example, with Dame going 2/8 in the 4th quarter while the rest of the team fought back. There are mitigating factors about defensive attention but they exist for most No.1 options not on stacked teams but they still get chewed up for bad performances.

I don't disagree that he's a great player but I see him as a Top 15-ish player with his own limitations and mildly overrated. Obviously, any team would love to have a second best player as good as him. I think the Nuggets should still be favs though.

Ali TT

International Debutant
Man, they still entered the series comfortable odds favourites regardless of the win gap. The series was still winnable early on. The first game had a 2 point gap for example, with Dame going 2/8 in the 4th quarter while the rest of the team fought back. There are mitigating factors about defensive attention but they exist for most No.1 options not on stacked teams but they still get chewed up for bad performances.

I don't disagree that he's a great player but I see him as a Top 15-ish player with his own limitations and mildly overrated. Obviously, any team would love to have a second best player as good as him. I think the Nuggets should still be favs though.
Top 15 all time? No chance

Anil

Hall of Fame Member

Do you mean top 15 among current players or all time? The former is probably accurate…

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year
Portland have flipped Jrue Holiday to Boston for quite a haul. I like the upgrade in the guard positions for Boston but not the cost of the trade

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah Williams and Brogdon a big price to pay for Holiday at this stage of his career…they have an excellent starting five if everyone stays healthy but the team is pretty thin behind the stars…

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Williams is injury prone & Brogdon was 6th man who wanted out

They’re big favourites to come out of the East again

duffer

Boston felt they absolutely had to make that trade to keep up with Milwaukee.

So amped for this season

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Nuggets, Phoenix, Lakers and maybe the Clippers (if the Brittle Bros can get through a season without breaking something) the cream of the West...I don't know about Memphis this season...Sacramento similar to the Cavs, a solid young team full of promise but not quite a contender yet...
Bucks, Celtics again leading the pack in the East, the Heat has over performed significantly in the last 2-3 years but I don't see how they can keep it up without significant roster upgrades...and Harden looks set to drag the Sixers season down as he maneuvers his way out of there...the Cavs are good but I still don't see them beating the Bucks or the Celtics in a playoff series...

Last edited:

Teja.

Global Moderator
Jrue is a player whose shooting % has taken an absolute beating in the playoffs every season in MIL (3 seasons total). It reduces for almost every player but I think his has to be one of the highest for a decent sample size and the most notable in the recent past. This is a pattern every single year as well, always drops several levels in the playoffs as a shooter.

For 3 seasons from the 2020-21 season:

FG - 49.4% in regular season vs 39.6% in playoffs
3P - 39.6% in regular season vs 30.8% in playoffs
EFG - 56.5% in regular season vs 45% in playoffs
TS% - 59% in regular season vs 47.6% in playoffs

Basically turns from a decent to good shooter to a much below average shooter. His defence still makes him a decent player but not a great trade IMO.

duffer