Page 3 of 233 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: ***Official NBA Thread***

Quote Originally Posted by Anil View Post
    yeah i guess dumars is in rebuilding mode....although iverson isn't a long-term option by any stretch of imagination...i saw a cnn article speculating that since mcdyess doesn't want to join the nuggets, they might waive him and he would then be free to resign with detroit...sounds unlikely but even if it happens, i don't think iverson as good as he is, as energetic as he is, as desperate for a ring as he is, is a game changer for them...especially seeing how effectively the lakers defense bottled him up in the playoffs last year...
    Well looking at the trade from a Pistons point of view now I can see the argument that Iverson will improve the Pistons straight away.

One thing they couldn't do against Cleveland/Boston last year was find a way into the paint and make the defence collapse on them. AI's dribble penetration is as good as anyone in the League's and his drives will free up a lot of top tier shooters like Tayshaun and Rip.

Iverson can also create shots for himself and force reactions from a defence, something which the Pistons lacked huge last year and the Pistons are the type of team defensively who can hide a lot of his flaws as well. He'll also bring a huge amount of desire, energy and attitude to a franchise which has looked stale and complacent for a long time.

Is he the answer to their problems and will he get them over the hump? I don't know or think so unless the Celtics implode at some point this season, but I definitely think it will improve them and was a risk worth taking from Dumars perspective. Iverson in a big market again must be a dream for the NBA too.

I also think it helps Denver more and opens up a lot of avenues to build a contending team but that post would enter essay territory so I might just let that lie
    Last edited by duffer; 04-11-2008 at 12:08 AM.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Mister Wright's Avatar
    Burger Time Champion!
    Bucks 2-1 away, beating the Knicks last night. Positive signs as they really struggled on the road last season.
    Cricketweb Colts Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Richard
    Hayden > Lehmann
    I'm a member of Club Kerry

I'm Green

The color of immortality, nature and envy - you are truly a unique person. While clearly the color of nature, you also symbolize rebirth, fertility and hope in the world. On the other side of the spectrum, a natural aptitude to money with green coming to signify money and possibly even *********!

Gotta say duffer, I appreciate your posts in here. I haven't followed the NBA for a long time and have been starting to get back into it this season (you have no idea how hard it's been to get used to rosters; Hill at the Suns? Last time I followed the NBA he was a young dynamo at the Pistons...) and your posts are really insightful. Having played basketball at a pretty good level in the past the tactical side of your posts speaks to me as well.

I'd almost ask you to give me a full preview of all the sides but that's too much
    The one, the only CW Black
    Code:
    47.3 W Coppinger to Heads 
        Smacked the ball straight into the groin of Iwuajoku who has fallen over, 
        miraculously with the ball still caught in his scrotal area! Out!

AWTA

I can see why Detriot went for the trade (someone to help penetrate, get things going in attack)), but I don't think it will be enough to get them up over Boston.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Mitch Johnson is ****ing awesome for cricket.
    Quote Originally Posted by pasag View Post
    Ponting's ability to ton up in the first innings of a series should not be understated. So much pressure, so important. What a great!

Thanks guys, played basketball literally every day during primary school and High School (both socially and competitively) so you'd probably class me as a fanatic.

Agree about the player movements being really hard to follow which is why I only concentrate on a few teams I find interesting (for me Philly, Nuggz now adding Detroit) and then just watch whatever games are televised. Eventually over the course of a season you end up learning about most teams to some degree.

Although a bit pissed that Channel 10 bought the NBA rights but won't be showing any games untill late 2009. So it'll only be the two ESPN games and crappy streams for us this season.

Quote Originally Posted by duffer View Post
    Well looking at the trade from a Pistons point of view now I can see the argument that Iverson will improve the Pistons straight away.

One thing they couldn't do against Cleveland/Boston last year was find a way into the paint and make the defence collapse on them. AI's dribble penetration is as good as anyone in the League's and his drives will free up a lot of top tier shooters like Tayshaun and Rip.

Iverson can also create shots for himself and force reactions from a defence, something which the Pistons lacked huge last year and the Pistons are the type of team defensively who can hide a lot of his flaws as well. He'll also bring a huge amount of desire, energy and attitude to a franchise which has looked stale and complacent for a long time.

Is he the answer to their problems and will he get them over the hump? I don't know or think so unless the Celtics implode at some point this season, but I definitely think it will improve them and was a risk worth taking from Dumars perspective. Iverson in a big market again must be a dream for the NBA too.
    not just the celtics, i think if mcdyess doesn't come back, the cavs should also be considered better than them...michael curry is a new, inexperienced coach and the team is in transition, unless the celtics and the cavs have big-time injury woes, i don't see them coming out of the east...

Quote Originally Posted by dontcloseyoureyes View Post
    Gotta say duffer, I appreciate your posts in here. I haven't followed the NBA for a long time and have been starting to get back into it this season (you have no idea how hard it's been to get used to rosters; Hill at the Suns? Last time I followed the NBA he was a young dynamo at the Pistons...) and your posts are really insightful. Having played basketball at a pretty good level in the past the tactical side of your posts speaks to me as well.
    yep duffer is very knowledgable on the subject...and his posts are really interesting to read...

State Vice-Captain ohtani's jacket's Avatar
    I like Iverson, but he's the kinda player who looks to make his own shot first. On All-Star teams or Olympic squads he often penetrated and dished, but on an NBA team he needs the ball like Kobe. The problem has always been his jump shot. Are they gonna play him at point? I can't see that working in a halfcourt situation. Iverson was always best on the break. They lost a lot with Mcdyess too. Great bench player.

I can't see Boston falling this year. They just picked up a really good win in Houston. Losing Posey hurts, though.

Quote Originally Posted by ohtani's jacket View Post
    I like Iverson, but he's the kinda player who looks to make his own shot first. On All-Star teams or Olympic squads he often penetrated and dished, but on an NBA team he needs the ball like Kobe. The problem has always been his jump shot. Are they gonna play him at point? I can't see that working in a halfcourt situation. Iverson was always best on the break. They lost a lot with Mcdyess too. Great bench player.

I can't see Boston falling this year. They just picked up a really good win in Houston. Losing Posey hurts, though.
    they are making a play for mcdyess it seems, if that happens, they would be favourites to defend their title...

Quote Originally Posted by ohtani's jacket View Post

I've always maintained that whenever AI had confidence that the guy he was passing to would make the shot, he'd give them the ball.

He took less shots last season than any time in his career while averaging 7 dishes per game too and that with a team with almost zero perimeter threat and with their best scorer in Melo attracting a double team on every play.

He's desperate to win a ring now and his ballhawk days are over from what I've seen, plus for the first time in his career he now has a a team worthy of his talents and with players who he can have confidence in to make the most of the ball he gives them. This team strikes me as a far superior version of the early 2000's Sixers which will hopefully suit him down to the ground. Just hope it isn't a couple of years too late for him to take advantage and get his ring.

EDIT: Oh, and these guys will get him way more stops than the Nuggets ever did, so he'll still have ample chances to run with the rock. And a nice article here about why A.I is a good fit for the Pistons.
    Last edited by duffer; 05-11-2008 at 06:00 PM.

State Vice-Captain ohtani's jacket's Avatar
    The most interesting talk I heard was they might play Stuckey at point guard and have Hamilton come off the bench because an Iverson/Hamilton backcourt is probably too small. I dunno how it will mesh. Detroit are still a pretty good ball club from all accounts (4-0).

Biggest surprise for me so far has been the Suns. Early days, but they're still in the mix.

AI and Rip will get the most minutes unless they've got a beast of a guard like Baron/Chauncey to defend is what I heard Curry talking about. Can see Stuckey and possibly Afflalo getting plenty of minutes though and plenty of guarding assignments.

Watching the Pistons today, Rip and Tayshaun are going to love AI. They're deadeye when given an open look and Iverson and the automatic double team will find them plenty. Really like they're frontcourt regardlessof whether Dice comes back. Sheed, Amir, Maxiel, Hermann and even Kwame can all be usefull depending on the situation.

Global Moderator nightprowler10's Avatar
    Super Mario Rampage 1 Champion!
    Watched the Bulls get steam rolled by LeBron and Co. They were truly pathetic in the paint. Rose seems to be the only one with any cojones and goes into the paint quite often, which is a great sign. He'd be much more successful with another team for sure, guys like Nocioni, Deng, Thabo were absolutely clueless when handed the ball under the basket and the rest of the guys bar Gordon had a hard time keeping up with Rose. Despite having 2 wins so far, Vinny has an incredible amount of work ahead of him.

RE: Iverson. This really makes the Pistons serious contenders for the title this year, which doesn't sit right with me.
    RIP Craigos

Quote Originally Posted by nightprowler10 View Post
    RE: Iverson. This really makes the Pistons serious contenders for the title this year, which doesn't sit right with me.
    right now, i don't believe that iverson makes the pistons serious contenders...

Global Moderator nightprowler10's Avatar
    Super Mario Rampage 1 Champion!

Page 3 of 233 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast

Thread Information