• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official NBA Thread***

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
this is definitely better for cleveland from what i can see...i don't know if this would help them beat the warriors but they will still beat the rest of the east easily and the nets 2018 1st round pick should come in very handy if james makes another "decision" next year...boston has a very talented young core but i don't see them having the quality depth to beat the cavs in a 7 game series with this team...if james leaves cleveland though, i can see them beating the cavs...

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah, I really don't get this.
IT is an expiring contract, while Kyrie's contract has 2 years left on his deal,Crowder is made redundant by Hayward, Brown and Tatum, while I expect Danny Ainge's is gambling on scoring ba number 2-5 pick off the Lakers.

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
Crowder is made redundant by Hayward, Brown and Tatum
This is an illogical and factually incorrect statement. Two of those guys are unproven, for one, but in this NBA the biggest asset is a wing who can shoot 3's and defend 3 positions. Crowder is that guy, and he's on the best contract in the entire league (seriously, he's making $6,796,117 this season with another two seasons after this one. Allan ****ing Crabbe is making $19,332,500 this season ffs). It's a massive overpay, no matter how you slice it. The fact that they'd give this package up for Kyrie, but not for Jimmy Butler, is insane to me. Jimmy Butler is one of the best 10 players on the planet.

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year
This is an illogical and factually incorrect statement. Two of those guys are unproven, for one, but in this NBA the biggest asset is a wing who can shoot 3's and defend 3 positions. Crowder is that guy, and he's on the best contract in the entire league (seriously, he's making $6,796,117 this season with another two seasons after this one. Allan ****ing Crabbe is making $19,332,500 this season ffs). It's a massive overpay, no matter how you slice it. The fact that they'd give this package up for Kyrie, but not for Jimmy Butler, is insane to me. Jimmy Butler is one of the best 10 players on the planet.
Actually, Brown played pretty solidly when he was on the floor last season while Tatum is supposedly among the most NBA ready rookies in this year's draft. Not saying that Crowder was not a good player on a great contract, only that Danny Ainge's has the roster in a reasonably good place to move on from him.

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
Actually, Brown played pretty solidly when he was on the floor last season while Tatum is supposedly among the most NBA ready rookies in this year's draft. Not saying that Crowder was not a good player on a great contract, only that Danny Ainge's has the roster in a reasonably good place to move on from him.
I know Brown played well on limited minutes, but that's the entire point. A player who's never set foot on an NBA court and a player who played 17mins a game as the 4th choice at his position don't make a proven top 50 player on a contract that pays him 20mill a season less than what he's worth "redundant". It's a factually incorrect statement.

The NBA basically has 3 wing positions now, PF's are just SF's. No (good) teams play 2 bigs a lot of minutes. Having 6 players for 3 positions (Hayward, Crowder, Morris, Smart, Brown, Tatum), when they're all either good or high upside, is what you want as an NBA team. It's what you need to match with the Warriors. Trading away that depth for a PG who's not particularly better than what you have on either end of the court is just mental. I get that Kyrie is better in playoff situations, I get that Kyrie has an extra year on his contract and is a much younger player, but the trade still doesn't make sense in respects to who else they could have gotten (Butler, George) for less than this package. There's no justification for it, IMO. It makes even less sense when you consider they could've just drafted Fultz, traded for Butler, and then let Isaiah walk next season and still kept one of Crowder or their Brooklyn pick.

Last edited:

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year
I know Brown played well on limited minutes, but that's the entire point. A player who's never set foot on an NBA court and a player who played 17mins a game as the 4th choice at his position don't make a proven top 50 player on a contract that pays him 20mill a season less than what he's worth "redundant". It's a factually incorrect statement.

The NBA basically has 3 wing positions now, PF's are just SF's. No (good) teams play 2 bigs a lot of minutes. Having 6 players for 3 positions (Hayward, Crowder, Morris, Smart, Brown, Tatum), when they're all either good or high upside, is what you want as an NBA team. It's what you need to match with the Warriors. Trading away that depth for a PG who's not particularly better than what you have on either end of the court is just mental. I get that Kyrie is better in playoff situations, I get that Kyrie has an extra year on his contract and is a much younger player, but the trade still doesn't make sense in respects to who else they could have gotten (Butler, George) for less than this package. There's no justification for it, IMO. It makes even less sense when you consider they could've just drafted Fultz, traded for Butler, and then let Isaiah walk next season and still kept one of Crowder or their Brooklyn pick.
I get the impression that the Pacers and the Bulls just straight up refused to do a deal with the Celtics regardless of the offer, while the expectations that Kyrie put on the Cavs front office made the Celtics a realistic destination with the right assets to make it worth it. I also get your exasperation with the deal at this point in time, but for Danny Ainge has a way of winning these kinds of trades in the long run. Who would have thought the Pierce deal would have been yielded Three straight lottery picks, and the players that came with the subsequent trades? Not me I was heart broken. Who would have thought that Have Crowder would have wound up being the most productive player from the Boston-Dallas deal. I mean shipping out a 4 time all star for a back up energy big, a mid first round pick and a bench 3 is not a trade one can be said to have on (at least on the surface value). I am assuming that between Danny Ainge and Brad Stevens, there is something they know about the players they sent out and the ones filling in their spots that they felt shipping them out for Kyrie Irving was a worthwhile price to pay.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
how awkward will it be if irving and thomas now go back to their teams...? let's see if irving's hip can help the cavs milk even more out of the deal...

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
what did he do? do you mean the diss on under armor? EDIT: never mind, just saw the news about him dumping on the thunder on twitter...

Last edited: