• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official NBA Thread***

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
the cavs aren't going to let this one slip away...and that would mean they are at the same position they were in last year after 4 games...

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
the law of averages catching up with golden state...this will be a double digit win for the cavs...

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
if the cavs win game 5, that would mean the momentum is clearly with them and i think they will repeat if that happens...

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
Nah no way. Even if they win Game 5 they should still be significant underdogs. No one has ever won a series down 3-0, and especially not against a team that's arguably the best of all time like the Warriors. The Cavs had to shoot a preposterous percentage and get significant foul luck early in Game 4 to even get a win, I'd still have them a less than 5% chance to win this series.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
No one had ever won in the finals down 1-3 and they managed that last year against a 73 win Golden State team..so there is still a non-zero chance that they create history again...I agree it would take a superlative effort from them and for the warriors' level to stay down a notch or two (like game 4) and it is highly unlikely...but you can't put anything past Lebron at this stage of his career...he is on a mission to chase down Jordan...

Last edited:

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
I think the caps shouldn't allow the possibility of such a super team.
In theory they don't, it was a freak occurrence. By definition the full max is 30% of the cap (depending on service time, obviously), having 4 players on it = 120% of the cap. So many things had to fall the right way for them to even have the chance.

- Stephs history of ankle injuries and the stop-start nature of his first few seasons forced down his market price and he signed a contract that was good at the time but very cheap considering his subsequent breakout and the weird cap spike.
- Klay signed his new contract just before he fully blossomed into the multi-dimensional talent that he is now.
- Draymond took a lesser contract than market value to keep the team with Iguodala and Bogut together.
- The cap-spike last season was a freak result that the league tried to avoid. The cap spiked so much due to the massive new national TV contract the NBA signed the season before, and because they knew it was coming they approached the players union with a plan to smoothe the increases over the next 3 or 4 years to not allow for such a ridiculous jump and farcical off-season. The players union rejected this plan outright and let it proceed the way it did (for what it's worth, LeBron is a big part of the players association and was most definitely a part of this decision to reject).

Plus everything else in regards to the Thunder and the Warriors collapsing from 3-1 up last season to the Warriors having players coming off the books and teams playing their games allowing Bogut to come off their books. There will never be another moment like this again in history and the Warriors happened to be in a position to play it smart and capitalise just because they drafted and traded well, and got a little lucky.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
DCYE, good points, thanks.

Simmons also mentioned how the only option for the Cavs is to trade some one for some one better as they have used so much cap space. The cap spike like it occurred here won't really occur any time soon. This means it will be that much more difficult to defeat GS. The only possibly way I can see it happening is if they break up partially like Klay going some where else or some thing. I don't see this whole dynamic of so many big players sticking together like every one feels they might. May not next season, maybe the season after that. Some one might want to get that bigger pay cheque while still chasing the title.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Another reality might be that LeBron may not win another championship. He is not getting any younger. The next big team challenging GS or for the title may not be centred around LeBron at all.