• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official NBA Thread***

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year
From what I'm reading they're going to make plays to get a big (if they can't get KD) but Dwight is down on the list. I'd reckon unrestricted guys like Horford or Whiteside are the guys they'd be after first.
Which means that they will swing and miss at players they can't realistically get, while sleepers and underrated talent gets cleaned up by 'lesser teams.'

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
i hope durant doesn't join the knicks, the ring he craves will become even more elusive if he goes there...

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year
i hope durant doesn't join the knicks, the ring he craves will become even more elusive if he goes there...
Won't even meet them BTW. Sweepstakes between OKC, Golden State, Spurs, Celtics, Clippers and Miami.

Lakers grab Mosgov with ridiculous money for no apparent reason. Derozan, and it looks like Noah is joining the Bulls tribute band in New York

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Lakers grab Mosgov with ridiculous money for no apparent reason. Derozan, and it looks like Noah is joining the Bulls tribute band in New York
noah is a significant upgrade for them at the defensive end right now...but yeah both deals are ridiculous, the mozgov one is laughable...

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
I don't think it's as bad as it looks. In the new market an average starter will be making around 15m a season. I think Mozgov is a little underrated tbh. The only stupid part of the deal IMO is the 4 years.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
but there are so many centers available in free agency right now who are so much better, whiteside, horford for example...mozgov regardless of whether he is a starter or not, is a role player who doesn't have the game to impact results all that much (i think he is almost 30 so not even all that young)...they have money to spend, so why not spend it trying to lure good talent when there is so much of it available?

Last edited:

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
Everyone has money to spend. They weren't getting Whiteside or Horford, Horford would have to turn down like 32m in guaranteed money on a 5th year with Atlanta to sign elsewhere, and if he does, he's not going to a complete rebuild. Plus at age 30 he's an awful contract after 2-3 years, by the time their team was actually good he'd be done and sinking their cap. Whiteside is, granted, not in a similar spot 'cause Miami don't have full bird rights on him. So I guess it's a possibility but there's like 20 teams with max room to sign him who are better than the Lakers. Mozgov isn't the best center around but he's not as bad as people make out, and in this new NBA cap world is probably worth that money for a year or two more. The only mistake is the years, 4 is too many. One guy I think they could have gotten who would be much better is Biyombo, but he's also gonna have a lot of suitors.

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year
Everyone has money to spend. They weren't getting Whiteside or Horford, Horford would have to turn down like 32m in guaranteed money on a 5th year with Atlanta to sign elsewhere, and if he does, he's not going to a complete rebuild. Plus at age 30 he's an awful contract after 2-3 years, by the time their team was actually good he'd be done and sinking their cap. Whiteside is, granted, not in a similar spot 'cause Miami don't have full bird rights on him. So I guess it's a possibility but there's like 20 teams with max room to sign him who are better than the Lakers. Mozgov isn't the best center around but he's not as bad as people make out, and in this new NBA cap world is probably worth that money for a year or two more. The only mistake is the years, 4 is too many. One guy I think they could have gotten who would be much better is Biyombo, but he's also gonna have a lot of suitors.
They leonald could have just re-signed Hibbert for 1 year and made a run next season. Jim Buds is bonkers.

Still role players are in 7th heaven now. Lin, Batum, Ish Smith...

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
yeah i don't see the upside for mozgov that dcye seems to be seeing...anyway time will tell, maybe he will blossom into an all-star next year...:cool:

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
Didn't say he was an all-star at all, I said he was decent and that in the current market decent players are gonna make a lot more money than they were before. The cap did jump by like 20m and is gonna jump another 10m next year. Roster sizes haven't changed, the average salaries for even average players are gonna go up. Backup guys are gonna be making 10m+ from now on. People need to adjust.

They leonald could have just re-signed Hibbert for 1 year and made a run next season. Jim Buds is bonkers.

Still role players are in 7th heaven now. Lin, Batum, Ish Smith...
Hibbert is absolutely awful though, and there's basically no players on the market next year that can protect the rim at all. If they knew they weren't getting Whiteside this year then at least Mozgov can protect the rim and isn't a complete liability on offence. They weren't getting better than him next off-seaosn, the whole FA class is point guards and wings. Also, Batum is far far better than a role player. He will get maxed out this year.

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
So Horford's not going back to Atlanta then, Or do the Hawks have enough cap room to sign both?

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Happy enough that the Pistons are getting Ish Smith - certainly an upgrade on Steve Blake.

I have found the whole Magic strategy bizarre ever since the Tobias Harris trade, what the hell are they doing. Ibaka needs to be huge for them.

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
Yeah dcye has got it spot on for Mozgov.

RoLo is also on a great contract keeping the cap increase in mind, which is what makes the trade a decent to good one for us.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Lakers now have Deng for 4 years, $72 million. Again another 30+ guy on a long contract.

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
Man, someone has no idea what they're doing up there. Maybe the only way they can sign people is by offering the years, but they had a decent rebuild in the pipeline with a load of talent and are seriously ****ing it up.

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year
Lakers now have Deng for 4 years, $72 million. Again another 30+ guy on a long contract.
Contrast it with how well set their eternal to ask in green are set up (even If they whiff on this year's targets) and it must gall the Laker fans