• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official NBA Thread***

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
The game sees a lot of threes now. So you constantly have players throwing the ball out and it's boring to watch so much of it. Players have become more efficient at hitting threes and it's a high reward when that happens. The balance of the risk-return for a three is skewed now. Some one suggested today that widening the court and extending the three point line might be a solution. I like that idea as well.

duffer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
It's a bit like saying there's too many sixes in cricket, let's make them worth five.

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
There is a case to be made (that Kirk Goldsberry talks about on the latest Simmons pod) about how the 3 point shot has destroyed the power forward position, in that you basically don't play PF anymore, you play as a spot up shooter who can sort of rebound better (but not always) than smaller forwards. If you can't shoot 34% from 3 then unless you're an other-worldlt talent you're out of the league. I think adjusting the length to be a few feet longer is a cool idea, or the idea he brings up about teams being able to set their own 3-pt line length for their home court every year similar to how baseball teams get to choose how long a HR is in baseball. It's all worth exploring because the current trend is concerning in that ten years the sport might just be 5 guards playing hot potato.

Last edited:

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year
There is a case to be made (that Kirk Goldsberry talks about on the latest Simmons pod) about how the 3 point shot has destroyed the power forward position, in that you basically don't play PF anymore, you play as a spot up shooter who can sort of rebound better (but not always) than smaller forwards. If you can't shoot 34% from 3 then unless you're an other-worldlt talent you're out of the league. I think adjusting the length to be a few feet longer is a cool idea, or the idea he brings up about teams being able to set their own 3-pt line length for their home court every year similar to how baseball teams get to choose how long a HR is in baseball. It's all worth exploring because the current trend is concerning in that ten years the sport might just be 5 guards playing hot potato.
Or shrink the rim so that it's nearly impossible to score with a jump shot :laugh: I think we are going through something of a high watermark for three pointers. One of the biggest aids was the change in the hand checking rules for the NBA that made so much of the contact that used t drive smaller perimeter dependent guards out of the league into fouls. At some point the league will work out how to counter the 'position less' basketball. I've seen signs of it when the Celtics face the likes of the Raptors and the Pistons, who have highly skilled 7 footers.

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
I think this is the most painful it has been to watch the Bulls in a long time. I'm thinking the last time I was this turned off was back in '03/04. '08 was bad but they were making moves and trying to right the ship and just somehow kept things interesting. Plus I really liked watching Tyrus Thomas. This season is just bad where I don't even want to turn their games on anymore.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
are they headed for a complete overhaul? i mean, they were touted as contenders at the beginning of the season with excellent players in rose, butler, gasol and noah and a very good supporting cast...how did it get to this kind of a mess?

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
I quite liked the arch discussion that eliminates the corner 3. As they point out it is hard to justify why a corner 3 is worth more than a long two. I actually don't have a problem with 3 point attempts from the top at all and the removal of the corner 3 will make it easier for the defence to put more pressure on the 3 point shot.

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
I quite liked the arch discussion that eliminates the corner 3. As they point out it is hard to justify why a corner 3 is worth more than a long two. I actually don't have a problem with 3 point attempts from the top at all and the removal of the corner 3 will make it easier for the defence to put more pressure on the 3 point shot.
Yeah that's basically my thoughts on it as well. Tangentially related, but the talk of extending the 3-pt line to nerf Steph is hilarious. If anything it makes him far more valuable.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Yep exactly.

Just on the Bulls, if they knew Tobias Harris was available, I think they should have gone for him.

My trade proposal:
Harris, Payton & Napier for Rose, Brooks & Gibson

PAYTON+BUTLER+HARRIS+PORTIS+GASOL (Moore, McDermott, Noah, Mirotic, Dunleavy, Napier)

ROSE+OLADIPO+FOURNIER+GORDON+VUCEVIC (Brooks, Gibson, Hejonza, Smith, Watson).

Or just trade Harris for Gibson/Noah and Brooks which is similar to Ilyasova. Jennings - without knowing cap restraints.

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year
I think this is the most painful it has been to watch the Bulls in a long time. I'm thinking the last time I was this turned off was back in '03/04. '08 was bad but they were making moves and trying to right the ship and just somehow kept things interesting. Plus I really liked watching Tyrus Thomas. This season is just bad where I don't even want to turn their games on anymore.
Yep exactly.

Just on the Bulls, if they knew Tobias Harris was available, I think they should have gone for him.

My trade proposal:
Harris, Payton & Napier for Rose, Brooks & Gibson

PAYTON+BUTLER+HARRIS+PORTIS+GASOL (Moore, McDermott, Noah, Mirotic, Dunleavy, Napier)

ROSE+OLADIPO+FOURNIER+GORDON+VUCEVIC (Brooks, Gibson, Hejonza, Smith, Watson).

Or just trade Harris for Gibson/Noah and Brooks which is similar to Ilyasova. Jennings - without knowing cap restraints.
So what are your thought on that rumor that the Celtics made a run for Jimmy Butler at the trade deadline. Celtics would have had quite few good assets to get a Chicago rebuild off to a good start.

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
Bulls aren't trading Jimmy Butler. 26yo superstars aren't found on trees, even if you got 3 first rounders out of someone it still isn't a guarantee, Jimmy is.