• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Snap Brownlow poll

Who will win the 2008 Brownlow medal?

• Judd, Chris (Carlton)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Riewoldt, Nick (St Kilda)

• Selwood, Joel (Geelong)

• Other (please state)

• Total voters

pasag

RTDAS
Was thinking about this last night, Cooney is only 23, is he the youngest to win the brownlow? Also had Black won, would he have been the first player to win a brownlow from outside the top 8? Can't remember any one recent who would have done it.
For years it was players who were outside the top teams who won the Brownlow. Don't think Skilton, for example played in too many finals. I think it's only a recent thing were players in highly successful teams have been winning it regularly. Am sure there've been plenty younger than 23 to win it as well.

Dark Hunter

State Vice-Captain
For years it was players who were outside the top teams who won the Brownlow. Don't think Skilton, for example played in too many finals. I think it's only a recent thing were players in highly successful teams have been winning it regularly. Am sure there've been plenty younger than 23 to win it as well.
Thinking about it, I suppose it's not that surprising, as it would probably be a lot easier to stand out in a poor-ish team. Also have less players to steal votes of you, as with Ablett this year.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Pretty sure someone in the past won a Brownlow in their 2nd season of AFL. Can't remember his name, but almost definitely younger than Judd.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Pretty sure someone in the past won a Brownlow in their 2nd season of AFL. Can't remember his name, but almost definitely younger than Judd.
Haydn Bunton won it in his first season. Quite a few did it in their first or second, Platten for example. However, they all had a season or two under their belts in WAFL or SANFL.

Since the draft system took hold, I think Judd might be the earliest winner of it.

SirBloody Idiot

Cricketer Of The Year
Wanganeen won at twenty - so he was younger than Judd.

Also Hardie won the Charlie in his first year at the Dogs. But I think Jack is right, Judd is the earliest winner out of those drafted.

SirBloody Idiot

Cricketer Of The Year
Lockett won his in his fourth season at 21 as well. Really amazing to see how everyone from late-1980s to mid-1990s were all early twenties.