• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* English Football Season 2008-2009

headhunter

International Vice-Captain
So how do we think the 3 teams coming from the Championship (whoever the third may be) will fair next season?
I know it's cliche but, personally I feel they will all struggle. Wes Brom may scrap to safety but don't see much hope for Stoke and AN Other.

Last edited:

Tom Halsey

International Coach
I know everyone says it every year and it's only actually happened once (since the formation of the Premiership, at least) but I wouldn't be surprised if they all go back down.

cpr

International Coach
Put money on WBA to stay up, Fulham to go down, Hodgson first sacking.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
There are some pretty ordinary teams in the lower half of the Prem, so wouldn't be surprised if WBA manage to scrape 17th. IIRC they survived for one season under Captain Poof with the lowest ever points tally that kept a team up in a 20-team Prem.

Shaggy Alfresco

State Captain
So how do we think the 3 teams coming from the Championship (whoever the third may be) will fair next season?
I know it's cliche but, personally I feel they will all struggle. Wes Brom may scrap to safety but don't see much hope for Stoke and AN Other.
West Brom will stay up. Stoke and Bristol City/Hull...well let's just say I doubt they'll get 20 points between.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
The big question here is who will win the fair play league.

grecian you ain't supposed to start this til the season is actually over you know :p

Matteh

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
The major upside to being in the Conference is i'll see Mansfield play more now. Setanta means we should be on the telly at least once (although we were on twice this season because we were amazing in the FA Cup), plus there's Oxford, Burton, Forest Green, Kidderminster, Rushden who are all pretty close to where i live. Pretty much certain i'll go to the Kiddy/Oxford away games.

cpr

International Coach
Might have to start trecking down to Trafford for some games this comin season, can see them putting the prices up now they've hit the heady lights of the unibond (again).

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Well, great news for Reading in the form of Steve Coppell committing his future to the club, mega boost, should help solidify their current situation.

Also in other news, Joey Barton jailed for 6 months, serves him right the stupid ****.

and Arsenal rumoured to be close to signing Samir Nasri....

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Hahahahaha, only just heard this. What a prize tosser.
Been a long time coming tbh, he's been let off several similar offences to this, and tbh having read the details of his offence this time he's lucky he hasnt got a heavier penalty, absolutely disgraceful behaviour.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
Indeed it has, can't say I've been monitoring his situation overly closely however, so a somewhat pleasant surprise.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Indeed it has, can't say I've been monitoring his situation overly closely however, so a somewhat pleasant surprise.
Me neither actually, had forgotten the entire thing tbh, that said, like you say its a pleasant surprise. What lingers in the memory though is the incident where he allegedly stabbed a someone in the eye with a lit cigar during the Man City Xmas party one year, what a ****, remarkable he wasnt sent to jail for that imo.

cpr

International Coach
Oh he'll get a heavier penalty, his P45. Newcastle put a clause in his contract that if he ever gets sent down, they can tear up the contract, but still keep his registration, so in effect he faces being unemployed, with any club interested in him having to pay Newcastle a fair few million first (not that Newcastle will be keen to sell him on the cheap, as he wont be costing them anything.