• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* English Football Season 2008-2009

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
too add..

- English domination of the CL to continue
- English players outside the Big 4 such as Noble, Taylor, Kirkland, Heskey, Shorey, Ashton to become established first team regulars or move to better clubs.
tbh most of those players are established first team regulars.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Presume he means first team regulars of the national team.
well, in which case i'd say its extremelt unlikely, only one with any sort of chance of that in the next year is Kirkland, maybe Ashton...but the rest shouldnt be allowed anywhere near the England side on a regular basis, some not at all.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Mark Noble is without doubt will be a future England mid-fielder post 2010 WC once he keeps improving, his performances @ the under-21 WC in holland last summer was as was his first form for West Ham in the first half of this season. Couldn't see why Mullins was chosen to start over him so regularly in the second half of the seaon.

Kirkland is playing more football again which is very good & is the second best ATM behind James until maybe age catches up with him. But i'll like to see him @ a better club than Wigan along with Heskey who skills as a battering ram for defenders would be much more effective in a better club. Same goes for Shorey would be a good buy for Newcastle.

Matt Taylor is the best English left-footed player in country (but not the best left-side option which ATM, those accolades goes to J Cole, Walcott or Young) & was going brilliantly for Pompey in the 05/06 & 06/07 season before he was solded to a struggling Bolton. He should definately be ahead of Downing (who just isn't international quality) & would be a useful addition to the national squad as Capello still tries to figure out what England's best squad & XI is.

Craig

World Traveller
Didier Drogba, Samuel Eto'o Emmanuel Adebayor are being earmarked for moves to AC Milan for next season. I would rather go to a ETA safehouse in the Basque Country and wave a Spanish flag about then support or play for AC Milan.

cpr

International Coach
Nah, always had a soft spot for AC, remember us drawing with them in a preseason friendly when they dominated Europe in the early 90's...... Became my favourite foreign team. Also have a soft spot for Real Madrid, as one of my best friends at school's family was from Madrid so he was a massive fan

Could never support Juve or Barca though, not a chance.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Mark Noble is without doubt will be a future England mid-fielder post 2010 WC once he keeps improving, his performances @ the under-21 WC in holland last summer was as was his first form for West Ham in the first half of this season. Couldn't see why Mullins was chosen to start over him so regularly in the second half of the seaon.

Kirkland is playing more football again which is very good & is the second best ATM behind James until maybe age catches up with him. But i'll like to see him @ a better club than Wigan along with Heskey who skills as a battering ram for defenders would be much more effective in a better club. Same goes for Shorey would be a good buy for Newcastle.

Matt Taylor is the best English left-footed player in country (but not the best left-side option which ATM, those accolades goes to J Cole, Walcott or Young) & was going brilliantly for Pompey in the 05/06 & 06/07 season before he was solded to a struggling Bolton. He should definately be ahead of Downing (who just isn't international quality) & would be a useful addition to the national squad as Capello still tries to figure out what England's best squad & XI is.
D-

Tom Halsey

International Coach
Nah, always had a soft spot for AC, remember us drawing with them in a preseason friendly when they dominated Europe in the early 90's...... Became my favourite foreign team. Also have a soft spot for Real Madrid, as one of my best friends at school's family was from Madrid so he was a massive fan
Disagree with the Madrid part in particular, absolute ****s, and given they basically own the Spanish media they never cease from unsettling players, and they tend to do it to us quite a lot. Milan... in the current climate I find it hard to have a soft spot for any Italian club.

Barca on the other hand... have limitless respect for them.

cpr

International Coach
Naaaah, hate Barca, are the enemy, would say i've followed Madrid so to speak since about 94/95...... Would say i've been a fan of AC since about 1990. Obviously United are my first love, but do like to see Milan do well, though with Madrid its always nice to watch them play

Like I said, cant stand Barca (especially after the 4-0 in 94, also dislike ingrained in the build up to the CWC final in 91), Juve and Inter. Or Dortmund (nasty yellow kit and having the gaul to beat us in a semi). Bit of a weak spot for Bayern though (didnt feel it in the 92 min in 99 though)

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
Naaaah, hate Barca, are the enemy, would say i've followed Madrid so to speak since about 94/95...... Would say i've been a fan of AC since about 1990. Obviously United are my first love, but do like to see Milan do well, though with Madrid its always nice to watch them play

Like I said, cant stand Barca (especially after the 4-0 in 94, also dislike ingrained in the build up to the CWC final in 91), Juve and Inter. Or Dortmund (nasty yellow kit and having the gaul to beat us in a semi). Bit of a weak spot for Bayern though (didnt feel it in the 92 min in 99 though)
Translated: "I support the most successful club in each country." imo.

cpr

International Coach
No, I support the most successfull club in foreign countries. In English football i support my local team :p

Though Milan didnt exactly succeed this year, nor really dominate after 95. Stuck with them when Juve were in the ascendency. So ner :p (actually got my Milan shirt when i was in Italy in 2001, still have it, and more surprising, it still fits)

Besides, even if i didnt care for Milan, after going there for the CL semi last year, there fans did more than enough to win me over. Utter crackin bunch they were, fantastic atmosphere throughout the day.

Last edited:

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
No, I support the most successfull club in foreign countries. In English football i support my local team :p

Though Milan didnt exactly succeed this year, nor really dominate after 95. Stuck with them when Juve were in the ascendency. So ner :p (actually got my Milan shirt when i was in Italy in 2001, still have it, and more surprising, it still fits)

Besides, even if i didnt care for Milan, after going there for the CL semi last year, there fans did more than enough to win me over. Utter crackin bunch they were, fantastic atmosphere throughout the day.
Yeah, and United aren't the most successful in England anyway...

cpr

International Coach
Yeah, and United aren't the most successful in England anyway...
Tis true, though only just (counting 30 Domestic and 4 European for us, to 32 and 8).

Could equal them there scousers next season if we do the double (and would take us upto 18 leagues n all, currently they've 7 FA Cups and 7 League cups to our 11/2). Another triumph in europe would seriously cut their blagging rights n all.

Thats what keeps Fergie goin :)