• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* English Football Season 2008-2009

Craig

World Traveller
Yeah, needs must & all that. Green is an absolute stroker, it must be said.

Go Theo! :cool:

EDIT: Think the Croatia myth is well & truly exploded too. I said when they beat us last year it was more due to our shortcomings rather than them being any good. If they were, the Kovacs wouldn't still need to be playing in their early 50s.
Out of interest would missing a certain Croatian striker who was born in Brazil make a difference?

Loony BoB

International Captain
aussie: If people are allowed to criticise Lampard then they're allowed to criticise Rooney. Get over it. They're in the same boat, the two of 'em - both perform very well for club but rarely for country. That's just the way it is. Both are indeed very good talents and have the potential to perform exceptionally for their nation but both quite simply don't do that very often. Hopefully they'll step up more and more now, but we can't expect them to not be analysed. Even Ronaldo is criticised when he doesn't carry a game, even Kaka when he's missing.

James

Cricket Web Owner
Will be very interested to see what happens when Gerrard is fit again. Would make for an interesting selection.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Out of interest would missing a certain Croatian striker who was born in Brazil make a difference?
Very probably. He was arguably the difference between the teams on the last two occasions they played.

My point is tho that before the game Bilic was suggesting that Croatia were "simply a better team", which is, at best, a very debateable contention &, at worst, hubris. If they are so superior the loss of one player (well, two really as Kranjcar was crocked too) wouldn't make that big a difference.

Saw the full highlights this morning after taping the free-to-air showing on Sultana last night, jeez Simunic is a thug, isn't he? Short of wearing a black cape & twirling his moustache he couldn't be more of a pantomime villan if he tried. Australian too, isn't he? :p

Craig

World Traveller
Very probably. He was arguably the difference between the teams on the last two occasions they played.

My point is tho that before the game Bilic was suggesting that Croatia were "simply a better team", which is, at best, a very debateable contention &, at worst, hubris. If they are so superior the loss of one player (well, two really as Kranjcar was crocked too) wouldn't make that big a difference.

Saw the full highlights this morning after taping the free-to-air showing on Sultana last night, jeez Simunic is a thug, isn't he? Short of wearing a black cape & twirling his moustache he couldn't be more of a pantomime villan if he tried. Australian too, isn't he? :p
Is Kevin Pietersen still South African? :ph34r:

Barney Rubble

International Coach
Well, can safely say I wasn't predicting a 4-1 victory last night, by any stretch. Delighted.

Didn't see much of the game as I was serving pints all through it, but it seemed like a fantastic performance. Can't for the life of me see why some people insist on complaining about the performance of X or Y or anyone else when England are beating teams 4-1 away from home. I wonder whether some people are actually England fans, or only follow football so they can feed their own sense of self-satisfaction when the player they always criticise doesn't play well.

To those people - no-one in particular, but if the last part of that paragraph pricked your conscience then I guess this is directed at you - support your team, or **** off.

Matteh

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Can support a team and still hate a player in that team. Look at Newcastle and Joey Barton.

Barney Rubble

International Coach
Can support a team and still hate a player in that team. Look at Newcastle and Joey Barton.
I'm not saying people shouldn't criticise, just that when their team wins 4-1 away from home against a decent team and their first instinct is to look for thei negatives, they're watching football for the wrong reasons.

Johnners

I'm not saying people shouldn't criticise, just that when their team wins 4-1 away from home against a decent team and their first instinct is to look for thei negatives, they're watching football for the wrong reasons.
Are you sure you're English? :p

Barney Rubble

International Coach
Are you sure you're English? :p
Haha. Do get asked a lot at work if I'm Irish, but that's just because I'm ginger and I work for an Irish hotel chain. Annoys me, TBH. If I asked a black guy "are you Jamaican?" just because he was black, it'd be well out of order, so why is it okay with ginger people? 8-)

Loony BoB

International Captain
Have to say I agree, really. Reckon the average English person says more against English football than Blatter and Platini do.

Barney Rubble

International Coach
Have to say I agree, really. Reckon the average English person says more against English football than Blatter and Platini do.
Without a doubt, and it pisses me off. Impossible to debate football with anyone who comes into work without them thinking they know better than Capello. How many league titles have you won, in how many leagues? None? Oh, yes, that's right, you're not one of the best managers in world football, you're just a ****. 8-)

Scaly piscine

Haha. Do get asked a lot at work if I'm Irish, but that's just because I'm ginger and I work for an Irish hotel chain. Annoys me, TBH. If I asked a black guy "are you Jamaican?" just because he was black, it'd be well out of order, so why is it okay with ginger people? 8-)
Yea must be quite aggravating that, being ginger.

And yes Gerrard can stick to being piss poor for Liverpool.

Matteh

Without a doubt, and it pisses me off. Impossible to debate football with anyone who comes into work without them thinking they know better than Capello. How many league titles have you won, in how many leagues? None? Oh, yes, that's right, you're not one of the best managers in world football, you're just a ****. 8-)
Steve McLaren's got to a UEFA cup final, but i know i'm a better manager than he is.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
No, you don't. You can say it all you like, but you don't know it.
Where I see your point Rubble, many people in the country harboured the opinion that Steve McDonut was not good enough to be England manager from the word go, and I think you'll be hard to pushed to find anyone who would accuse them of being wrong in holding such an opinion.

Matteh

No, you don't. You can say it all you like, but you don't know it.
Admittedly my decision to use wingbacks in the first round of the 7 a side cup was a mistake due to them never getting goalside to the attackers, but after my halftime changes we dominated the second half.