• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Battle of the EPL Stars

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
With the recent surge of Battle threads, I was having a look around and was rather surprised to see that there has never been a battle of Premier League stars (not including a short-lived "Battle of the Footballers" back in '06 that never made it past Battle 12). Seeing as the EPL is obviously the most followed of the top leagues on this forum, I figured it would be best if we based the battle on players who have played the a significant part of their career (or have made an undeniable impact) in the English Premier League.

I was kinda hoping though that one of the more knowledgable Football posters would be willing to run it though? :) (Looking at you, Brumby :p). My original thought was if we could get 96 players from either the last 10 seasons (97/98 - 07/08) of the history of the Premier League? I thought if we stuck to the 5 nominations, 10 seconds, and each player must be seconded twice?

Thoughts?

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Yeah, I'd be game if there's enough interest. If memory serves tho Sir Barnard of Rubble ran a battle of the footballers which kinda fizzled.

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yeah, that was the one I mentioned, was 2 years ago though, so I figured it was worth another try :)

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Fair play. I'd vote to have it since the beginning of the Prem as it was only 92/93. Might also be worth having some sort of ban on nominating players who played for your team too, or else we could end up with a comp fulla ManUre players.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I'll set the ball rolling then.

Nominate:

Alan Shearer (Blackburn/Newcastle)
Roy Keane (Nottingham Forest/Man Utd)
Ryan Giggs (Man Utd)
Eric Cantona (Leeds/Man Utd)

ripper868

International Coach
Nominate:

Mark Bosnich (Villa, ManU, Chelsea)
Mark Schwarzer (Middlesborough, Fulham)
Peter Schmeichel(?) (ManU, ?)
Harry Kewell (Leeds, Liverpool) Galatasaray
Wayne Ronney (Everton, ManU)

Second:
Cantona
Giggs
Shearer

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Nominate:

Mark Bosnich (Villa, ManU, Chelsea)
Mark Schwarzer (Middlesborough, Fulham)
Peter Schmeichel(?) (ManU, ?)
Harry Kewell (Leeds, Liverpool) Galatasaray
Wayne Ronney (Everton, ManU)

Second:
Cantona
Giggs
Shearer
Who'd you support in the Prem, ripper, just for the record? :)

ripper868

International Coach
nobody with any passion really,

supported ManU as a teenager but meh, sorta Middlesborough cuz o Schwarzer, also bit of West Ham cuz of Neil.

As you can see i take my EPL very seriously:)

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Everyone obviously playing for 2nd behind Shearer.

But Nominate
Zola (Chelsea)
Andy Cole (take a pick)
Adams (Arsenal)

Second
Le God and Bergkamp

Last edited:

cameeel

International Captain
Nominate:

Steven Gerrard (Liverpool)
Thierry Henry (Arsenal)
Robbie Fowler (Liverpool/Leeds/Manchester City)
Sol Campbell (Arsenal/Tottenham/Portsmouth)

Second;

Emile Heskey
Andy Cole