Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Air New Zealand Cup (NPC) 2008 - Discussion and Prediction League

International Coach HeathDavisSpeed's Avatar
    Rummaging through Iain O'Brien's dustbins.

Air New Zealand Cup (NPC) 2008 - Discussion and Prediction League

Hi guys,

The NPC is nearly here for another year, so its time to discuss what's going to happen this time around.

I've also set up a CricketWeb ladder on the wonderful tipping website, SuperBru.

Follow the instructions below to join the league and start tipping.

Sadly, I think Wellington are going to struggle this year. Their best non-All Black players have all moved on (Collins, Paku) and even Jimmy Gopperth has left... Auckland once again look the team to beat, and its hard to go past the expectation of an Auckland vs. Canterbury final.

Hoping that the Hawke's Bay boys can keep a high standard this year and also expecting further improvement from the Manawatu. Bay of Plenty are my prediction for bottom of the league.

Come join my pool in SuperBru Air New Zealand Cup, the ultimate Air New Zealand Cup prediction game! It's easy - just go to the website and enter the pool code barndata to join my pool, CricketWeb.

Pool code: barndata
    >>>>>>WHHOOOOOOOOOSHHHHHHH>>>>>>
    Fascist Dictator of the Heath Davis Appreciation Society
    Supporting Petone's Finest since the very start - Iain O'Brien
    Adam Wheater - Another batsman off the Essex production line
    Also Supporting the All Time #1 Batsman of All Time Ever - Jacques Kallis and the much maligned Peter Siddle.

Vimes tells it how it is:
    Quote Originally Posted by Samuel_Vimes View Post
    Heath worryingly quick.

School Boy/Girl Captain
    its kicking off today week so should be good, strange to see 2 thursday night matches

Money Money Money Champion! Tournaments Won: 7
    The Thursday night matches were pretty successful from what I can recall last year. Worked much better than two Friday night games with one starting at 6pm anyway.

Will be interesting with so few All Blacks in the competition - at least last year had more of the likes of Rico Gear floating around.

So far only Heath and the Only_Vimes_That_Bites are signed up to the Superbru Picks League - come on guys, sign up!

Locked up inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    I've just applied to join the CW league & have arbitrarily decided to register as a Waikato fan in honour of Fiery (RIP).

The picks being final is a bit stiff tho, but.
    Cricket Web's 2013/14 Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"as much a news event as an actual footballer, a worthy stop-start centre forward, but an all-time hyper-galactico when it comes to doing funny things with cars and hats, a player whose signing proves once again that the Premier League is still undoubtedly the best in the world when it comes to doing things with cars and hats."
    - Barney Ronay on Mario Balotelli

Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby View Post
    I've just applied to join the CW league & have arbitrarily decided to register as a Waikato fan in honour of Fiery (RIP).
    Do you own a cowbell? Appears to be mandatory for Waikato fans. Peculiar lot.

Locked up inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    Quote Originally Posted by _Ed_ View Post
    No, we're more of a pig-rearing () area, really.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Samuel_Vimes's Avatar
    Defend Your Castle Champion! Monkey Diving Champion!
    Ah, the cowbells. Staple of Norwegian handball crowds too.

Going to try and watch a bit of this. Have online coverage of almost every match, though they seem to be on while I'm at work. Going for Hawke's Bay as they seem to be on the up, aren't a city squad with oodles of money, and aren't southern.
    Messi scores on the rebound.

Founder of ESAS - Edgar Schiferli, the best associate bowler
    A follower of the schools of Machiavelli, Bentham, Locke, Hobbes, Sutcliffe, Bradman, Lindwall, Miller, Hassett and Benaud
    Member of JMAS, DMAS, FRAS and RTDAS

Quote Originally Posted by Adolf Grünbaum
    Is the conduct approved by the gods right ("pious"), because of properties of its own, or merely because it pleases the gods to value or command it?

Good choice, the Magpies would be my next choice after whichever of Auckland and North Harbour is doing better. (Nah, I strongly support Harbour until the point at which it becomes obvious that it once again isn't our year, then I move on to Auckland).

Big fan of the Bay.
    Last edited by _Ed_; 24-07-2008 at 03:27 AM.

I'd like to see Hawke's Bay do well - they've got a load of good players that the big provinces either rejected out of hand, or dismissed due to injury problems. Bergqvist and Shoemark are top players. They've also recruited youngsters well AND have succeeded in looking after the balance sheet - something that Tasman and Bay of Plenty have failed to do spectacularly.

Also looking for Manawatu to spring a surprise or two due to their fan base and decent management team.

They were winless last season weren't they? Hope they get one on the board this time around.

They were winless last season weren't they? Hope they get one on the board this time around.
    Nah. I think they did get a win on the board last year, didn't they? But they hadn't won before (maybe they got a draw last year). Consistantly get good turn outs in Palmy though - I was thinking about going up to watch Manawatu vs. Wellington and watch an NPC game with a full house of 10k rather than an empty stadium at the Westpac shared with 5,000 hardy Wellingtonians.

Oh they did too, 2 in fact. My mistake. You're right, it was 2006.

Counties Manukau, on the other hand...

Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby View Post

The picks being final is a bit stiff tho, but.
    You can leave it to the last minute - it will e-mail you a reminder. Personally, I think Superbru is the pinnacle of tipping websites - you get graphs, bonus points for hitting the margin, bonus points for tipping the whole round, bonus points for closest to the correct margin. And it looks good!!

Oh they did too, 2 in fact. My mistake. You're right, it was 2006.

Counties Manukau, on the other hand...
    Counties are a young side though, and should improve over the next 2 or 3 years if they can hang on to the good ones. Bay of Plenty are a bunch of overpaid Waikato rejects (although Daniel Braid's kid brother is one to look out for there this year).

Also, expecting this to be much closer overall this year. The Big Four have lost a lot of big name players. Hawke's Bay are about the only team who look to have improved on paper. The boys from Nastings (or Hapier) could make the final.

Oh - and Join Superbru, Ed. You know you want to!

Quote Originally Posted by HeathDavisSpeed View Post
    I'd like to see Hawke's Bay do well - they've got a load of good players that the big provinces either rejected out of hand, or dismissed due to injury problems. Bergqvist and Shoemark are top players. They've also recruited youngsters well AND have succeeded in looking after the balance sheet - something that Tasman and Bay of Plenty have failed to do spectacularly.
    I'd like to see Hawke's Bay NOT do well, otherwise I'll never hear the end of it from the other two guys in our quartet of desks.

I'll understandably be backing Otago - we'll be adequate up front (hopefully the very quick tighthead Jeremy Aldworth will get through the season fit), rather dominant in the second row (Donnelly, Kennedy leading the way), average in the loosies although Setephano will be handy if he's fit soon.

Backline will at least be experienced for a change - a few guys in the backline now have a fair bit of Super 14 under their belt, and the acquisition of Daniel Bowden will help our backs run smoothly, although I'd like to see Chris Noakes get a bit of time.

I'll sign up at some stage, Heafy.

Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread Information